Fallout 3/New Vegas "Combat Shotgun" build (FINAL PIX P.4!)

Re: Fallout 3/New Vegas "Combat Shotgun" build

Nice! I really need to finally build a vac table. I would have gone much more complex trying to build the magazine. I usually tend to over engineer things.

Are you going to use a stock refinishing kit to stain it or mix up your own stain?

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

I guess I have an issue firing up a thread and telling people I'm making a "terrible shotgun" - conjured up images of hotglue and toilet paper tubes.

I have a similar problem, whenever I see the 'Breaking Bad Props' thread pop up I can't help but imagine taking a hammer to some sub par replicas. :)

The butt and magazine look gorgeous btw. I can't imagine a more simple or accurate way to make that piece. when it's painted no one will be able to tell that it's not pressed steel.

absolutely love it! the construction on the drum is so seamless, youd think it was one solid piece!

Are you going to use a stock refinishing kit to stain it or mix up your own stain?

Not sure. The in game model is beat to hell and back, so it's hard to get a bead on what the original color is supposed to be. I don't do enough wood working to really be authoritative on what the best process for staining the stock would be, so I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I made a coffee table out of a shield I built a few weeks ago and used some standard Home Depot wood stain on the same red oak for the legs and support braces. I liked the color, so I might go with this again.

7983932539_3c153b9ab4_b.jpg

I see what you mean.

To be fair, that was an old project built in 4 days before I really knew much about weathering. I remember after I posted the final pictures, a friend of mine actually sending me a whole box of pigments and powders in the mail with written instructions on how to use all of them. She was a fine arts painting major; a bit pushy with the advice, but it definitely helped.

Got some more work done on the shotgun over the past couple of days. Still down one finger, but it hasn't slowed work up too much.

The forward grip piece. The blank was made from 2 more chunks of red oak, shaped on the router to fit the lower section of the heat shield.

8010735954_4531314f11_b.jpg

Slots cut into the grip with the mill. I know that endmill bit is a million miles long, but its the only one I had in this diameter.

8010735850_5187194d07_b.jpg

And with the burrs sanded off

8010730005_a719fd0ecc_b.jpg

Got to work on the trigger box next. This is going to look super over engineered, but this is a prop which is going to be used on a film shoot so I've decided to err on the side of robustness. I doubt this trigger mechanism will be affected by thousands of very energetic pulls. Also, it's built so it can be serviced, should anything go wrong in the future.

I'll skip all the pictures of patterns drawn on aluminum. Summary: there's two 1/8" aluminum plates held together by standoffs and countersunk machine screws. The trigger is cut from 1/4" stock and pivots on a stainless steel post. A second post behind it acts as both a forward and backward stop so the trigger only has a set amount of travel.

It looks a bit nasty right now, but I still need to take it apart and polish it up a bit. It was just assembled for fitment testing at this point.

8013567642_25fcd84c58_b.jpg

8013566894_6f5c366035_b.jpg

8013563749_459aeb2e2f_b.jpg

Here's the whole shebang dropped into the cavity in the stock

8013563937_3b818131c7_b.jpg

And the cover plate. Getting the curve on this right was a huge pita. A couple small screws fore and aft will tighten the gap up a bit, it's only resting on the stock in this photo.

8013567352_5eaef1fc35_b.jpg

Inside the grip slots, did you just use a hand file to knock off the hard corners to better match the outer curved surface? Looks good.

Nick

Inside the grip slots, did you just use a hand file to knock off the hard corners to better match the outer curved surface? Looks good.

Nick

Yup. Still needs a bit of cleanup with some finer files but that was easier than anything I could think of with the mill.

More aluminum work! Man, working in plastic goes so much quicker.

Got the trigger guard done, started by hammering a piece of bar stock over a wooden buck.

8021214718_2f19a31117_b.jpg

This was drilled and tapped for some small machine screws...

8021209787_eba43a7349_b.jpg

...and corresponding holes drilled into the trigger mechanism cover plate. I countersunk them after I took this shot. Not terribly necessary, but it was bugging me.

8021209249_c75b40a4c3_b.jpg

All parts assembled and installed. I'm thinking I might replace one of the screws with a brass screw and a rusty washer when the whole thing is final to make it look like some homebrew repair took place along the course of the gun's life.

8021213862_af9e3b0312_b.jpg

When the trigger is pulled back, there's about .5mm between the backside of the trigger and the guard.

8021208893_9f77a439df_b.jpg

More to come!

Have you ever considered making stocks and parts for real firearms before? You could probably make a fair sum by making parts for some imported weapons. Like the gas piston or trigger block for an AK. That's always in demand, with the 922r law in place. People will want handmade parts rather than give money to Tapco or whoever else there is out there.

Have you ever considered making stocks and parts for real firearms before?

I wouldn't mind making a stock here and there, shaping this one was actually a lot of fun and I've been interested in doing more detailed work like carving and such, but I don't think I have the tools or precision to make any metal parts just yet. Only started with the mill a few weeks ago, maybe after some more practice...

After consulting some people who know way more about guns than I do, it was determined that the amount of trigger pull was way too long and the amount of space behind it was too small. I drilled and tapped a second hole in the back of the trigger and added a set screw which stops the trigger movement sooner. I also added a stiffer spring to the assembly while I was at it.

8033283752_b896a3d5d3_b.jpg

8033283639_34beb2d2b9_b.jpg

8033296856_10859338d8_b.jpg

With that (finally!) sorted, I moved on to other parts. The butt plate on the stock was shaped with urethane tooling board. I'll be molding this and cold casting it in black resin for the final version.

8033283192_f433610b1a_k.jpg

Sight hood was next. I started with a flat piece of aluminum trimmed on a scrollsaw.

8033283037_011a88560e_b.jpg

This was hammered repeatedly into shape over a series of increasingly smaller wooden dowels to get to its final shape. On a real PPSH-41, this is more of a "U" shape, but the sight hood on the Combat Shotgun makes a bit more of a closed loop at the bottom.

8033282796_1dd0a2528d_b.jpg

The barrel is another very thick chunk of aluminum tube, a bit too thick for a shotgun really, but it's accurate to how the gun is shown in game. Nothing about this thing makes sense! Right now it's just held in place with a few acrylic rings that hold it centered in the heat shield, but I'll be adding some threaded holes and screws to anchor it later on.

8039649440_a1b6b1fd2f_b.jpg

8039646615_81dfb3370f_b.jpg

I lathed a few pucks from resin for the front and rear round shapes on the magazine holder.

8039645613_26427c8a94_b.jpg

8039646323_0289509479_b.jpg

And the whole thing slapped together in a delicate balancing act. Should be able to screw it all into one piece soon and see how it feels.

8039645985_4084bc039e_b.jpg

That is sweet!!!

No way I'm showing how I did the working trigger for my Endor rifle now! It's a totally hillbilly setup. :lol If I could have designed the whole thing like yours it would have been much slicker.

Is there a way to lock that trigger? Granted, you would not want to lug this around without a sling, but I've seen in other threads that some cons freak out over moving triggers.

Is there a way to lock that trigger? Granted, you would not want to lug this around without a sling, but I've seen in other threads that some cons freak out over moving triggers.

It'll never go to a con, thankfully. The metal barrel alone would be enough to make people upset, let alone the moving trigger and removable magazine. It's going to be in a Fallout fan film, then it will live in a display case with a big fan of the series who also collects videogame memorabilia.

Funny you should mention the sling - there's a provision for one on the rifle stock, but not anywhere else. I'll be adding one to the front block that connects the heat sink to the lower "piston" rod so that a sling can be used for the film. Managed to source a verrrrry cool vintage Russian sling manufactured for the PPSH-41 that dates to the end of WWII. Gotta love eBay!

Oddly, I couldn't find the proper hardware for the rear sling, so I'm actually getting a sling loop off a vintage Enfield! This thing is a mutt.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back