1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

ok my friends...my brothers! with the exception of 3 more pipes on the upper hull near the cockpit tube...and the display base I'm planning...my PG Falcon is finished. 64 LED's, 30 odd feet of FO and just about every Shapeways piece that's available for it. It was months of work and I loved every bit of it, I'm kinda sad it's over. BUT, I think since I decided this Falcon will stand alone, I'm going to continue this thread with the FM bird which will replace the MPC in the diorama. with a little luck and a few more Shapeways pieces, it will be indistinguishable from this one. 900+ pieces...a daunting task to be sure, but brothers...I'm on a roll!(y)
Also, and VERY importantly...a HUGE shout out of thanks to Tony 308bits and Age of Plastic for having to fortitude and love for the Falcon for designing the necessary pieces to convert the ANH PG into the lovely ESB version. And a big BIG thanks to all of my fellow builders here for their advice during this build!(y) All of you made it possible!

Attachments

• pgfinish1.jpeg
    pgfinish1.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 228
  • pgfinish2.jpeg
    pgfinish2.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 230
  • pgfinish3.jpeg
    pgfinish3.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 209
  • pgfinish4.jpeg
    pgfinish4.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 220
  • pgfinish5.jpeg
    pgfinish5.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 166
  • pgfinish6.jpeg
    pgfinish6.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 177
  • pgfinish7.jpeg
    pgfinish7.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 182
  • pgfinish8.jpeg
    pgfinish8.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 231
  • pgfinish9.jpeg
    pgfinish9.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 188
  • pgfinish10.jpeg
    pgfinish10.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 231
You’re most welcome mate, and I’m only speaking the truth.
Guys like yourself, korben,Invar,Jaitea,Yuumi,Keiko,..., - frankly too many to name here (and hopefully not offending anyone by - not naming them !), have been sources of information and inspiration for people like myself since joining.
You know, the ones who just seemingly plod along quietly (and in my case without contributing anything worthwhile really) , but still find comfort in occasionally ‘piping in’ when motivated to, but always, always, appreciating the knowledge and shared camaraderie with other like minded persons.
Thank you.(y)

You've sure got an amazing display piece there!

While the PG would look great in the dio, I think the Fine Molds Falcon will work out better.

Like the full size ESB set, it is a little undersized. From what I understand, the full set was not built as a true 1 to 1 size replica, so the Fine Molds Falcon, being too small for a true 1/72 model, should actually size nicely with everything else. Plus, most of it will be viewed from the side hiding the parallel mandible inaccuracy.

And your Bandai PG really does deserve it's own spotlight

You’re most welcome mate, and I’m only speaking the truth.
Guys like yourself, korben,Invar,Jaitea,Yuumi,Keiko,..., - frankly too many to name here (and hopefully not offending anyone by - not naming them !), have been sources of information and inspiration for people like myself since joining.
You know, the ones who just seemingly plod along quietly (and in my case without contributing anything worthwhile really) , but still find comfort in occasionally ‘piping in’ when motivated to, but always, always, appreciating the knowledge and shared camaraderie with other like minded persons.
Thank you.(y)
Mighty kind words Ged, many thanks. Being far behind these other guys in skills I'd venture to say this is my best work yet.

You've sure got an amazing display piece there!

While the PG would look great in the dio, I think the Fine Molds Falcon will work out better.

Like the full size ESB set, it is a little undersized. From what I understand, the full set was not built as a true 1 to 1 size replica, so the Fine Molds Falcon, being too small for a true 1/72 model, should actually size nicely with everything else. Plus, most of it will be viewed from the side hiding the parallel mandible inaccuracy.

And your Bandai PG really does deserve it's own spotlight
Oh I agree, this one deserves it's own display. I started the FM, it's noticeably smaller, and the cockpit sucks, though better than an MPC. Had I the spare cash I think I would get some upgrade pieces...but, it's going to be in the dio and anything I would do wouldn't be seen. So, I've decided this one will get the out of the box treatment though I may use one of the PE sheets I bought from Haystack, fan grilles, gear baffles and the cockpit tube grille. Of course I will duplicate the lighting as much as I can to match the PG with the exception of the turret wells, well maybe the dorsal but not the ventral. Thanks for the compliments and the advise (y)

Oh I agree, this one deserves it's own display. I started the FM, it's noticeably smaller, and the cockpit sucks, though better than an MPC. Had I the spare cash I think I would get some upgrade pieces...but, it's going to be in the dio and anything I would do wouldn't be seen. So, I've decided this one will get the out of the box treatment though I may use one of the PE sheets I bought from Haystack, fan grilles, gear baffles and the cockpit tube grille. Of course I will duplicate the lighting as much as I can to match the PG with the exception of the turret wells, well maybe the dorsal but not the ventral. Thanks for the compliments and the advise (y)

Out of the box treatment for Fine Molds will indeed give you an excellent model. The only upgrades I used were some photo etch engine grill covers. I was very happy with the out of the box details. I built mine in flight mode. Looking forward to seeing you tackle it with some proper lighting added

Out of the box treatment for Fine Molds will indeed give you an excellent model. The only upgrades I used were some photo etch engine grill covers. I was very happy with the out of the box details. I built mine in flight mode. Looking forward to seeing you tackle it with some proper lighting added

Looks fantastic bro!(y)

gt350pony66 Such a beautiful piece, very well done! Looking forward to what you come up with next
Well thanks much, very much. One of these days I'll have to get some better pics I think. Once I build the display stand I'm thinking.
I started an FM to replace the MPC that's in the diorama. That's what's in the pipe now. Haven't gotten very far just yet but I'll throw up some pics anyway this weekend, by then there will be something to see(y)

Are you guys getting tired of me posting all my crap on this one thread? Well, it's still related...the FM is definitely replacing the MPC in the dio...so...
I did the cockpit and tube, no not near as intricate as the PG because there's a lot that won't be seen. I'm not even going to light the engines on this one. Just the landing lights, gear wells, entry ramp and the red low clearance lights. I'm debating the red forward lights...but probably will since you can see them. I had a left over MPC Shapeways corridor and chopped it, it fits, and I backlit it for effect. I didn't do NEAR the amount of FO in the cockpit, just because.

Attachments

• fm1.jpeg
    fm1.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 148
  • fm2.jpeg
    fm2.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 158
  • fm3.jpeg
    fm3.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 171
  • fm5.jpeg
    fm5.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 187
  • fm4.jpeg
    fm4.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 185
  • fm6.jpeg
    fm6.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 187
  • fm7.jpeg
    fm7.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 160
  • fm8.jpeg
    fm8.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 173
It’s your build thread, post whatever you’re working on til you’re satisfied mate.
I’ll just keep living vicariously through your’s and others (while plodding alway quietly), for as long as you keep sharing.

The past few days...I put the HH PE on the cockpit tube, it needed minor modification but it fits, I also semi finished off the cockpit and tube with some weathering. Did one of the gun turrets and docking collars and the radar dish. I'll have to go back and do the others but no rush. I try not to get bored with one op too long so I don't slop it. Following the instructions I turned to the 3 front landing gear. I pre-drilled the mounting plates for the hydraulics and the LED's. I'm going to use 1.8mm on this one as I'm down to 50 of the 3mm ones. They oughta work fine. I also decided to use the HH gear baffles which were a tad big in the center but I cut some evergreen tube in very thin rounds and glued to the legs to center the baffles. seems to have worked ok. I used Testor's stainless steel buffing metalizer on the legs and baffles and rubbed them out with q-tips. So far, so good. I also noticed on the turret panels there were extra sections of plastic which restricted the view inside the gun wells, why they make it like that I don't know but I cut it out. I decided not to FO the gun wells but I did do similar colors on the inside with some fine tip Shapies...good enough since it won't really be visible.

Attachments

• fm9.jpeg
    fm9.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 171
  • fm10.jpeg
    fm10.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 182
  • fm11.jpeg
    fm11.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 176
  • fm12.jpeg
    fm12.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 218
  • fm13.jpeg
    fm13.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 160
  • fm14.jpeg
    fm14.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 164
  • fm15.jpeg
    fm15.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 160
  • fm16.jpeg
    fm16.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 195
  • fm17.jpeg
    fm17.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 238
  • fm18.jpeg
    fm18.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 198
  • fm19.jpeg
    fm19.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 175
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back