1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

I'm actually glad I never bit the bullet and purchased a FM 1/72 Falcon kit... I think their Slave 1 was the best kit they produced... Hell... I have 4 1/72 versions and one 1/144...lol

I'm actually glad I never bit the bullet and purchased a FM 1/72 Falcon kit... I think their Slave 1 was the best kit they produced... Hell... I have 4 1/72 versions and one 1/144...lol

Well, my thing was...at one time, that I wanted to build all version of the Falcon, in 1/72 anyway, just to see the differences. I guess I'm on number 3. PG being by far the favorite. I have the DeAgo yet to go.
As far as the open gear doors, I'll hack up the closed stuff they give you for it. Didn't see anything on SW, not that I could spend the money anyway. I have to scratch the link pieces between the rear gear legs too. Kinda disappointing stuff for a 180 dollar kit, right?

Indeed... At one time I almost bought that kit for $600!

I remember those days. People were desperate and the kit was out of production. Of course I remember it showing up for around $150 at one point.

Luckily I got mine when Fine Molds did that second run of theirs. It was around $200 including shipping from Japan. But wait a few months and it was back up to $600 to $1000 dollars as it went out of stock at HLJ

I wonder how many people had gold rush fever buying kits to resell later and got stuck with kits they couldn't sell after Revell re-popped it and then Bandai announced the PG version

Of course, at some point when the stock on the PG falcon runs out from the mainstream outlets your going to see $1000 plus PG Falcons on the market. Not that anyone will be buying them, but...

I remember those days. People were desperate and the kit was out of production. Of course I remember it showing up for around $150 at one point.

Luckily I got mine when Fine Molds did that second run of theirs. It was around $200 including shipping from Japan. But wait a few months and it was back up to $600 to $1000 dollars as it went out of stock at HLJ

I wonder how many people had gold rush fever buying kits to resell later and got stuck with kits they couldn't sell after Revell re-popped it and then Bandai announced the PG version

Of course, at some point when the stock on the PG falcon runs out from the mainstream outlets your going to see $1000 plus PG Falcons on the market. Not that anyone will be buying them, but...

Mine is actually the Revell, but it's got Made in Japan stamped on the hull pieces. It's actually not a horrible kit, but no where close to the PG. I'm having fun with it. I got a pretty decent job offer this week, took the drug screen and did the BG check. Although I have another interview next week that could be an even better one. Not exactly hired yet, but I took my Mustang off Craigslist and I put away thoughts of selling my DeAgo kit. Got my fingers crossed.

this is what I did today, got all the landing gear finished and lighting installed...and did the laminate in the last closet. It was a productive day. I think the HH PE gear baffles worked well, and the stainless buffing metalizer really worked great.

Attachments

• fmgear4.jpeg
    fmgear4.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 163
  • fmgear5.jpeg
    fmgear5.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 160
  • fmgear6.jpeg
    fmgear6.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 153
I suppose now I'll move to drilling the lower hull for all those landing lights and chop the closed bay doors so I can use them in the open position. I'm pretty disappointed there isn't any supplied doors for that :(

Hey Ross ,
I swear both you and korben are bloody machines when it comes to the speed you guys’ll work at on your respective builds - at least compared to this old fart , also had to scratch together some landing gear doors & hinges on my Deago (now going on 3+yrs!).:p
What’s more, is that the quality shown in the updates and finished product is increasing with every project !? Fantastic !:eek:

p.s. you’re certainly becoming a wiz at lighting eh!(y)
p.s.s. Good luck with your prospective employment mate.

Last edited:
I got a pretty decent job offer this week, took the drug screen and did the BG check. Although I have another interview next week that could be an even better one. Not exactly hired yet, but I took my Mustang off Craigslist and I put away thoughts of selling my DeAgo kit. Got my fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Well I found the set of FM hull interlock pieces I thought I had. Going to use one of the SWays ramps I have and maybe the hydraulics. Have to shorten the ramp and file it a bit to make it fit. I finished most of the greeblie work on the upper and lower hulls and primed and painted them. The hull interlocks were a bear, but they always have been when doing MPC kits, but I managed. I'm still a bit miffed that FM doesn't supply an alternate set of gear bay doors...so I sliced the supplied "closed" doors in half and then cut off the boxed sides and ends. should be a simple matter of scratching some fixed hinges to attach them, should be good. The doors will actually be a bit shorter in appearance as opposed to MPC or PG but they'll be proportionate to the openings and allow a better view of the gear legs and added hydraulic hoses that we like to see hanging down.

Attachments

• fmhull1.jpeg
    fmhull1.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 141
  • fmhull2.jpeg
    fmhull2.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 138
  • fmhull3.jpeg
    fmhull3.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 138
  • fmhull4.jpeg
    fmhull4.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 140
  • fmhull5.jpeg
    fmhull5.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 204
  • fmhull6.jpeg
    fmhull6.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 206
  • fmhull7.jpeg
    fmhull7.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 141
  • fmhull8.jpeg
    fmhull8.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 134
  • fmhull9.jpeg
    fmhull9.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 141
Nice job!

It is amazing how much they got wrong, or skipped on despite how detailed the Fine Molds was.

They really knocked it out of the park replicating all the little greeblies and minute surface details, but then failed replicating the basic shape/proportions or skipped such obvious bigger details like the ramp or missing landing bay doors

Nice job!

It is amazing how much they got wrong, or skipped on despite how detailed the Fine Molds was.

They really knocked it out of the park replicating all the little greeblies and minute surface details, but then failed replicating the basic shape/proportions or skipped such obvious bigger details like the ramp or missing landing bay doors

I agree completely, the surface greebs are top notch...except for the shield generators. They look lame. I put them on, but I've got a couple sets the Haystack sent me to use on MPC's. They're cast so I'll have to shape them but the look is more what we're used to seeing. I managed to make use of the landing gear doors. I chopped them up and measured and made hinges. I think they turned out good. I assembled the engine nozzles today too. I elected not to light them as I believe while the falcon was sitting in Echo hangar, they were cold.

Attachments

• fmparts1.jpeg
    fmparts1.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 122
  • fmparts2.jpeg
    fmparts2.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 131
  • fmparts3.jpeg
    fmparts3.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 133
  • fmparts4.jpeg
    fmparts4.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 128
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back