ANH Red Y... kit

Sure, they´re not hard to ID from their weathering. From front to back: Triangles, TIE killer and MOM Y. The first pic you posted doesn´t show an ILM Y, just look at how off the canopy is, I always assumed this picture shows the old 1/72 Argonauts kit?

What I´d like to know is, where´s the Y with the copper piping and yellow panel on the nose?

You're right, that third Y-Wing does match the MOM Y, and the Y-Wing next to triangles in the shot of 4 X-Wings and the 2 Y-Wings. I heard MOM was an unused pyro from ANH that was pulled out and finished for ESB, and so I was assuming that the weathering was applied later but these two pics show that it was pretty well finished during ANH and just needed some nose canons.

The MOM is also mounted on a stand in that pic, so it apparently had an armature early on. This seems consistent with the idea that Red 3, Red 12, and Red 4 were all pyros that were blown up, but they obviously had armatures from their reference pics, and that triangles was demoed. Looking at the picture of triangles above being rigged with explosives, although I don't see the explosives in the pic, I see triangles is mounted upside down without a droid, ion canons, butt panel or the engine exhaust nozzles. Since TIE Killer, blue/gray, red jammer and MOM have all been on display or had more recent photos of them, they all appeared to survive which means there were at least 2 other pyro Y-Wings built.

The Y-Wing with the yellow panel is labeled as Gold 5 over at MM&M by Kuhn Global and is the blue/gray model:
Gold 5 Studio Model
I've identified blue/gray as being next to TIE Killer when seen from inside Gold Leader's cockpit and again in the trench run next to TIE Killer. The yellow panel and lack of engine stripes gives it away.

The picture that is probably a commercial Y-Wing kit is being passed off by Kuhn Global on MM&M as TIE Killer, labeled Gold Leader on that site, next to two pics of TIE KIller.
Gold Leader Studio Model

The table of models is an interesting set of photos as there are MOM, TIE Killer and triangles Y-Wings present along with Red 6, Red 12, Red 4, Red Leader pyro, Red 5 hero, Red Leader hero, Red 2 pyro, and Red 3 pyro. Both Red Jammer and Blue Leader/Red 2 hero were missing, but likely in the UK at the time of the pic being referenced for the full size set pieces. But also missing are blue/gray Y-Wing and Red 3 hero, plus any later pyros. I'm not sure what the absent models indicates?

Another site that someone referenced is:
http://www.jbot.ca/starwars/ds1/DandH.htm
There seem to be several errors on this page or known identified items omitted. There are several Y-Wings and an attempt at designating which is:
Gold Leader - picture of TIE Killer from side in space
Gold 2 - a picture of Red Jammer imposed over the trench wall
Gold 3 - appears to be blue/gray in a reverse image in space
Gold 4 - might be MOM viewed from the bottom
Gold 5 - might be a pic of TIE Killer in the trench with gold markings bleached out
Gold 6 - unrecognizable rear view of a Y-Wing

Last edited:
I forgot to point out the Hasbro Y-Wings (where my collecting interest lies, in the accuracy of the figures to the original films or cut footage) and which models these seem to represent:

Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive
Looking at the POTF2 Y-Wing, the canopy and weathering look like it might be matched to the MOM Y-Wing. The droid has red panels instead of blue. The pilot was generally considered to be a "generic" pilot, but looking at the helmet the rebel emblems are red with a black boarder and not blue like the generic helmet that other pilots wear (and Dak in ESB). The pilot appears to be an attempt at Tiree, making this Gold 2 (?). This version still has the vintage ROTJ stubby nose canons.

Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive
Looking at the 30th Anniversary Gold 4 Y-Wing, the canopy also looks like it is matched to the MOM Y-Wing canopy with the gray color and two stripes. Although the droid does not match any seen in a studio model. The engine cones don't have MOM's marks but still have gold stripes albeit a little worn away. This version has the updated nose canons.

Star Wars Saga Vehicle Vintage Y-Wing - Hasbro - Toys "R" Us
The latest one is the Toys R US exclusive Vintage Collection Y-Wing, which most reviewers have identified as a ROTJ Y-Wing from Red Squadron at the battle of Endor. Close inspection of the details reveals that it is in fact Red Jammer from ANH, which was the basis of the full scale set piece. The gray dented panel on the port side of the cockpit is a dead giveaway. It includes the updated canons but also has an empty droid socket allowing for any droid to be used (I've purchased several of these in the TRU 3 for the price of 2 clearance for future customs of Gold Squadron if Hasbro does not release future Y-Wings).

I had assumed since I was a kid that the vintage ROTJ Y-Wing was done to the scale of the action figures. But looking at the pics of studio models and the full scale set piece, I realized the Hasbro Y-Wing is still in a scale that is slightly smaller than the figures.

ok... one more time.. 5 known ANH Y's (See pic)

400326791.jpg

#1 Triangles (destroyed during filming Gold Leader Scene)
#2 Gold Leader aka TIE Killer
#3 MOM Tour Y
#4 Tiger Sprocket/Blue Grey (destroyed in trench)
#5 Red Y Wing aka Red Jammer (not pictured was in England)

** in the behind the scene's a ILMer talks of blowing a Y wing up in the parking lot after inserting rocket motors into the engines... probally a test casting... **

I would love to see any other ANH generation photo of a Y that is not in the above mentioned.. as of now.... it doesnt exist (Cantwell not included)

Ya got to forget about the "whose flying which one" in the movie....make the switch to studio model mind set... practical models. They used different models for the scenes and pilot continuity suffers.. Photo reference, Insider information... known existing models... and countless hours staring at grainy old pictures is the best way to figure it all out...

We traced Triangles burnt remains to a former ILMer... Tiger sprocket has never been seen or photo graphed since filming... TIE killer/Gold Leader is in the hand of a industry professional and the MOM Y is on Tour with red Jammer. Maybe Gene has a photo somewhere that he can share to show it's fate... the sad truth is they blew up highly detailed filming models when it came to the Y Wings... they were scored with a cutting wheel..packed with explosives and blew to smithereens for our and their enjoyment!

Does anyone have or seen photos of Tiger sprocket/Blue grey Y wing that were taken after production of ANH? The only production shot ive seen of her in the shop is the above picture.. there are the shots from art of star wars but they were taken before filming started.... the only missing link so until someone can show pictures of it I'd believe it met the same fate as Triangles.... Deep Sixed!

The great thing about studio modelling they will live again!!!

Last edited:
Great info Steve! Now my head doesn't hurt trying to figure it out.

In fact, that would be a good post for a dedicated Y-Wing thread sticky. It's needed like the X.

I noticed that one Y-Wing cockpit on the back of the table, but did not know what to make of it since it does not seem to have the rest of the body for it. It's also hard to make out any detail on it, does it have the yellow panel on the port side?

All the blue gray pics I've seen are at Gold 5 Studio Model . Were these taken early in production at the same time as TIE Killer with the black background? Blue/gray is definitely visible in the film in the Gold Leader cockpit shots and in the trench run with TIE Killer in the foreground, so there was footage of it shot before getting blow'd up. There are three different Y-Wing explosion shots, so they blew up at least three models. If two of those pyro shots are blue/gray and triangles, then there is at least one other model built.

BTW, why is it called "tiger sprocket"? Is there a tread sprocket wheel from a tiger tank on the model that isn't present on the other models?

You can tell its Tiger sprocket becasue of the stripe on the side of the head... it has a 1/48 king tiger drive sproket in the upper mounting plug... none of the others have it...

Steve

You can tell its Tiger sprocket becasue of the stripe on the side of the head... it has a 1/48 king tiger drive sproket in the upper mounting plug... none of the others have it...

Steve

I think I see it now. Located about dead center on the rear section of the fuselage on the top of the Y-Wing. It's odd that they put it on one but left it off the rest. One would assume that the Y-Wing was a mass produced fighter, so why are their internal workings are so different from each other. The only explanation I can come up with is these represent fighters produced at different times during the long production history of the Y and so there were changes in the internal workings during that time period.

I guess another explanation is the Ys were cobbled together from different planetary fleets, much like getting F16s from different countries after they've used them for years. And each planetary or private fleet ordered different features for their squadrons, so the plumbing was different based on what options they had.

Last edited:
I guess another explanation is the Ys were cobbled together from different planetary fleets, much like getting F16s from different countries after they've used them for years. And each planetary or private fleet ordered different features for their squadrons, so the plumbing was different based on what options they had.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, maybe it was just a case of model builders having a bit of fun and diversity and not really thinking all that much due to being on too much pot?

lee

You've seen the vid on YouTube of the ILM guys and gals on the slip n slide etc in the parking lot? Nobody.... And I mean NOBODY has that much fun at work unless ya got somethin.

Just contact Steve by email him,sneisen@bresnan.net,good luck!:)

I thought they'd sold out, but nothing to lose by asking.

There was the intent to produce non-limited kits of the yellow y-wings as well, hopefully that is still on track!

The only reference i have of the Tiger sprocket Y is from the SW Technical journal pgs 151-161-162-163 and in the SW behind the majic insiders guide pic 4, they are of the ship before filming.

During my first full day with the kit, I forgot to eat, drink, go to the toilet and only barely remembered to go to bed. So, er, thanks for that, chaps, lol...

Just wanted to pay tribute here to the kit. Of all the kits I've bought over the years, this is the first to exhibit no meaningful deviation from the original model, an incredible achievement. I probably wouldn't mind too much if there were inaccuracies in the greeblie dept. (which there aren't), what usually bugs me are problems in the general macro-proportions, but I'm damned if I can find a single one here!! Which puts me in model heaven.

Also, I had been dreading that all the plant-ons would require the kind of clean-up needed on X-wing droidstrips - a half-centimetre-thick slab of material to be filed away - but no, there's nothing much beyond the flash on a factory-produced stryrene kit! Indeed, 'factory-produced' best sums up every aspect of the kit engineering, from the castings, most of which look like Finemolds for crying out loud, to the fit. I've pretty much been able to 'snap together' half the kit to get a look at how things go. Friction alone already holds the aluminium wing bar in place, and the tops of the engine cylinders are held to it by the same force. Just outstanding. A whole new level.

So, congratulations, infinite thanks and respect to Steve, John, Jamie, Dan, Isel, Mike and Jason. Some pics below, because there really aren't enough pics of this beauty on the board....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back