Bandai release schedule

A small amount of the BB8 shots are CG, the majority are puppets with the puppeteer removed, or radio controlled like R2

CG probably would have been an easier route to take, but there is plenty of behind the scenes footage showing how proud Neal Scanlan & his team were able to pull off the effects practically.

....still not a fan of BB8

J

Keep in mind, just because there is behind the scenes footage of things being done practically on TFA, in many cases those practical objects were later removed and replaced entirely. But this is a rabbit hole we don’t need to go down here.(y)

Neal Scanlan & his team were able to pull off the effects practically.

Scanlan and co.'s work is seriously incredible. I'm a big fan of what the practical work they've done for these films.

Unlike yourself though, I do like BB-8. Haven't decided on D-0 yet but I think at the very least he'll be somewhat amusing. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Okay, Edge. You're down at 3-4, I'm at 6-10. The pool has begun. Anyone else is? There is no prize except bragging rights and eternal modeling geek glory! :lol:

Well, because you picked a super wide range ;) ... you are the winner!

From Moonlight SY-3 on the SSM forum:
In other good news, the new issue of Model Graphix magazine announced the Bandai Vehicle Model 016 Super Star Destroyer Executor kit as an August release, for ¥1,000. 19cm long. looks FANTASTIC

Varlien on SSM found these on Bandai's site (be darned if I can find the source):

153_3281_o_1d97gb6ql1d6b7lf12flchhpl28.jpg

155_3281_o_1d97gbffl1nau10s71ug51hlt1n252i.jpg

edit:

Found them:

ビークルモデル 016 スーパー・スター・デストロイヤー|バンダイ ホビーサイト

Double kit with the Avenger mini kit:
1/100000 スーパー・スター・デストロイヤー & 1/14500 スター・デストロイヤー|バンダイ ホビーサイト

Looks great and Im happy for those that love these smaller kits. I personally love larger kits so i can light them and add details to give them a larger sense of scale. For me its tough to work with such a small size.

I would have loved something similar to the 22” X-Wing board game version. It’s too expensive for me (200.00) but the size and detail is gorgeous.

IMG_7314.jpg
IMG_7317.jpg
IMG_7321.jpg
IMG_7319.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno, that Bandai kit looks pretty detailed for a 7 1/2" kit. For me, given that I'm not so crazy about the subject that I'd pay more than $100 for a larger kit, paying $20-$30 for a small version that accurately reflects what we see on screen is a nice trade-off. Maybe Bandai will decide to do a clear version in a year or two for those who want to light it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back