Bandai release schedule

Like the Star Destroyer, I think Bandai is releasing the smaller vehicle kits to help gauge market interest- if it sells real well they take the plunge in a larger edition.

Does it really gauge interest? There seem to be 2 sorts of SW modellers here...ones that like the tiny scale models, so that they can get the whole collection to display on their limited shelf space, and others who like things large. I have a lot of Bandai kits, but I passed on the small SD. But I would jump at a chance for a huge one. So would modellers buying the tiny SDs necessarily buy a huge one?
Whenever Bandai releases something, we always here the "Goldilocks" complaints. Too big, too small, but for a select few...just right.

TazMan2000

Round 2 repopped the old MPC Eagle kit, warts and all, to judge whether with was enough interest in the subject before going through the expense of a larger all new tool.

Star Wars capital ships have been long ignored by the licensed manufacturers- the ISD, the disappointing DeathStar and the sort of OK Rebel Transport have been the only ones for ages. Now Bandai is getting around to making the capital ships we have been waiting for. Since this is more or less untested territory for these subjects I can see them starting off cautiously. After almost countless versions of an X-Wing they can pretty well guess how one of those kits might sell, but a Blockade Runner or SSD?- people talk about wanting them but will they have a big enough demand to justify going through the expense to design and produce a kit of?

THis is all conjecture of course, I have no inside track as to what id going through Bandai's collective mind, but after the larger lighted ISD was released I think there is a good chance for these other kits if they sell well enough...

So would modellers buying the tiny SDs necessarily buy a huge one?

Yup! If it is a vehicle/starship that I like, if it is a Bandai Model, then I will likely buy it. Especially if there is no other model of that vehicle available. I have a plethora of the small Vehicle Model kits that adorn the top of my computer and none of them are in scale with one another - but they do look great up there! Sure we would all like bigger scales that will showcase more detail when it comes to modeling, but the engineering and accuracy of Bandai's kits make them a joy to put together at any scale.

I wonder how big your computer is to display this plethora, INVAR . It is likely a HUGE Star Destroyer will push some of those model off. :lol:

When companies use incorrect metrics to measure or gauge interest, it could be hit and miss. But I guess Bandai must know what they are doing. They haven't hit a foul ball with any of their releases...yet.

TazMan2000

I'll take the SSD and use it as a reference to build a larger scale version! I'm really looking forward to the SD kit in August...
Already did one of those way back when the only reference was freeze framing a VHS tape.
I really like that Bandai SSD- they not only got the proportions right but the detail is not a repeating short cut fudge

Bandai SSD looks really nice, but when you notice that those renders are almost real-size, it unfotunately lose some of it's glory

I predict a Korben44 diarama in our future. (y)
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-14111.jpg

View attachment 1013627

So many possibilities! I do need to finish the ones I'm working on first...lol... Here's my list of current projects:
  1. Cloud City Diorama in 1/72
  2. Hoth Diorama in 1/144
  3. Rancor vs AT-ST in 1/48
  4. Anakin's Pod Racer in 1/32
  5. Tattooine Dewback and Sandtrooper in 1/12
  6. ANH Trench Run in 1/144
  7. Scratch built Swoopbike in 1/12
I guess I like to keep busy... o_O

I need a 3D printer...lol

View attachment 1013627
Wow- I hated that shot but seeing that still- geeze, the SSD is passing behind the DS horizon...

It would be a great diorama still, especially if you followed the movie novelization description where the SSD breaks in half and gathers up a couple of other Imperial vessels as it pinwheels into the Death Star surface

I see what you mean but that creates yet another question- flames casting a shadow usually implies a much brighter light source than the flame to make it cast a shadow. There does not appear to be any in-universe light source like that.

It's not behind the horizon, it's a shadow cast by the flame.
View attachment 1013685 View attachment 1013686
It appears to be a compositing error ( or compromise). Unless its something else the matte is visible around the SSD and the SSD isn't visible between the shadow and itself for a bit there.. I dont thing they actually dropped that model onto another model, though they could have. Regardless it isn't one of my favorite shots.
To get back on topic sort of it would make a neat dio using the freeze frame explosion coolness.

5954189B-CC90-44B9-899E-6F9298237458.jpeg
There might be - fingers crossed, a larger Blockade Runner kit released by Bandai post Episode 9. I have a sneaky suspicion that a familiar Blockade Runner will be back judging by the sizzle reel for Episode 9 showing a blink or you’ll miss clip of (maybe) the Tantive IV...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back