Bandai release schedule

I dunno, I'm really not feeling the new TIE. It just feels like it's a stripped down Interceptor.

I’m kind of the same. Prefer the Silencer over the new one shown in the teaser. Silencer just looks sleeker to me. But with this new design my hope for a Bandai Silencer seems a bit less realistic now.

It'll come out someday, as long as Bandai holds the license. I don't care if it's a Vehicle Model, they just need to get a mold out there.

I’d much prefer a 1/72 to go with my other fighters but I’ll take whatever they release. I got the Revell one, but it needs some work to get a decent result.

Star Wars dot com doesn't list a length. According to Wookiepedia the U-wing is 82 feet long. So that would be 13.6 inches.

It will be interesting to see what kits Bandai produces over the next few years as the Star Wars films take a hiatus. Will they go back and do a couple missed kits from the Disney films, like a 1/72 U-Wing or Solo TIE r/b? Will they get the license to do kits from The Mandalorian? Will they keep focusing on the OT and milk that cow until they're down to releasing Dewback and Snaggletooth figures? Will they do some more PT vehicles? Will they simply release fewer kits until the films resume again? Always in motion is the future...

As from previous comments, there is a LOT that they can still do. Sandcrawler, TIE Bomber, Lambda class shuttle, just to name a few, and a lot of people want a 1/48 Y-wing, not to mention other models in a larger scale. That is just for the Original Trilogy.

TazMan2000

It will be interesting to see what kits Bandai produces over the next few years as the Star Wars films take a hiatus. Will they go back and do a couple missed kits from the Disney films, like a 1/72 U-Wing or Solo TIE r/b? Will they get the license to do kits from The Mandalorian? Will they keep focusing on the OT and milk that cow until they're down to releasing Dewback and Snaggletooth figures? Will they do some more PT vehicles? Will they simply release fewer kits until the films resume again? Always in motion is the future...
Old image of potential Bandai plans-
nEoSY4e.jpg

I'm working on the Tie Bomber, Sand Crawler and Tydirium in 1/72. I almost have the shuttle done. I just couldn't wait anymore for Bandai to pick up the pace but knowing my luck as soon as I get them done they will release them!

Well, unfortunately, the other option is they don’t do anything and refocus on Gundam (or whatever line it might be). They’ve had a great run of SW kits, but to assume it will continue indefinitely is only setting up for disappointment.

Yeah, I know there is plenty they COULD do -- and every one of us certainly could offer plenty of suggestions -- but the question is: will they? Many of their releases are promotional tie-ins for whatever new movie is coming out. Even with new movies coming out, toy sales have cooled and we don't really know what that means for Bandai's sales. How many sandcrawlers do they think they can sell to old farts like us? Is it a better business decision for them to simply pump out ten more R2 variations while waiting for the next movie project rather than tool a TIE bomber? I don't know. It will be interesting to find out.

So in their Celebration panel the presenter mentioned that "there will be a massive announcement at an extremely small scale in May" along with a slide that promises more in all three lines (vehicle model, figure/droid, and scale vehicle).

upload_2019-4-18_13-0-55.png

Here's the video, but there's not much to see/hear on this subject apart from the slide above:

SUPER big announcement at a very small scale...in May

Super Star Destroyer, perhaps?

That or another Death Star, most likely.

Edit: Beat me to it Richard.

Good news that they have planned for the scale model line hopefully not just variants of existing kits in a Rise of Skywalker variant, but actual new vehicle kits

I would just be happy if they kept plugging ahead with one kit from each of the three main eras a year in the standard scales, in addition to whatever else they do. Would be nice to start getting some Prequel coverage. There's a lot to mine there in the way of interesting designs that would appeal to both modelers and collectors. Especially if you include Clone Wars and Rebels in there, and all of the nose art, paint variations, etc.

I'm fine with only one truly big kit a year. We got the ANH Falcon, we're getting the Star Destroyer... It'd be nice if we got a 1:72 Slave I or Ghost... A 1:72 Lambda-class and/or Nu-class shuttle would also be brilliant, and big enough I'd figure those to be among their less-frequent "big box" releases... I'd love a partial re-pop of the Falcon with ESB/ST front-lower quarter. And a Lando body kit would be fantastic -- wouldn't need to invest in a full-on tooling for a kit the size of the Falcon, with all the details and greebling. Just the escape pod and hull plating to fit over the existing 1:72 Falcon kit.

But the standard starfighters in 1:72? Gods below, if we could keep gradually filling in those holes. V-19 Torrent, ARC-170, Z-95 Headhunter, Clone Wars Y-Wing, Rebels Y-Wing, Mandalorian Fang, Alpha-3 Nimbus "V-Wing", Delta-7 Æthersprite (including variants), Eta-2 Actis, LAAT/i, the various droid fighters, Grievous' "Soulless One" fighter, his Magna-Guards' fighters, both Phantoms, the nonzero number of TIES yet to be done, the T-85 X-Wing, the other racing ships from Resistance... There's enough just in recognizable material like that to keep them going for over a decade.

...If points of purchase know to stock them! I'm fortunate in having a couple of LHSes that make efforts to keep decent selections of genre kits on the shelves in addition to the other cars, airplanes, armor, and RC stuff. And online sellers like Bluefin (which is owned by Bandai, so there's that) or USA Gundam are good, but there need to be more chain stores that stock them for people who don't know to look for them to stumble across. Which gets into the whole matter of shrinking interest in physical play afflicting at least America. There are kids who build models and play with action figures and so forth, but it's nowhere near as ubiquitous as it was a generation ago. Enough "kids these days" are only interested in digital entertainment that the toy and model industry has been repeatedly reworking itself over the last decade or so to try to figure out how to stay relevant. And chain retailers like Target and Walmart aren't helping. That's where a whole lot of people shop for everything. And they tend to have toy departments run by people who aren't in touch with current cultural trends. My local Walmart sucks at ordering Star Wars action figures, for instance. They'll over-order one wave, most of which will rust on the pegs, and never order more because "they're not selling". Never realizing that people are wanting the newer waves that have come and gone -- but not here.

Part of that is also Hasbro ongoingly mis-packing said waves. Misjudging how many people will be needing this Rey figure, and drastically underestimating how many will want that Darth Revan, for instance.

So get your kids into building models (I started at age 7). Encourage local Scout troops or youth centers to include building models among their handicraft tutelage. Generate a local geek-focused hangout spot. The good old comic-and-gaming shop is a good one. Best way to encourage Bandai to make more models is to have more sellers stocking them and ordering from distributors. Best way to ensure that keeps up a good clip is having actual end-users buying the flipping things. There are a lot of people out there who'd love building models, but they never knew it was a thing. I know -- I've met some. I would be talking about general geek stuff and conversation would wend in a direction that I'd mention some model that I'd gotten that I was intending to mod or accurize and they'd be utterly poleaxed that this was actually a thing one could buy and do.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back