Captain Marvel (Post-release)

What did you think of Captain Marvel?

• Total voters
Haven't read the thread due to potential spoilers, but I have a question.

Is this movie necessary to see prior to Endgame?

There's always the possibility that there might be some weird tie-in but I would say, "no."
It's as essential as having to watch Antman prior to watching Civil War.

Last edited:
It was good but it's not close to being my favorite MCU film. If 10 is the best MCU film, this film is about a 5 1/2 to a 6 for me. Probably closer to a 6.

There's nothing in this movie, that makes me think it's required viewing for endgame. They could choose to use a half dozen things in a large way that could make it good viewing before endgame, but I'd be really really surprised if they did.

To be honest, Marvel has been doing really well making it so none of the movies require having seen previous ones. does it enrich the experience? sure. but I think most of them have been very watchable as stand alone films.

Just saw it on Saturday. I enjoyed, not my favorite, but it was good. My favorite part when is when a Skrull growls at Carol, and she growls right back.:lol:

I personally liked it a lot. I think the cast really did a great job. I loved the 90s nostalgia, although the soundtrack laid it on a bit thick, especially the "Just a Girl" song in a pivotal final battle...

As far as gripes, I think they used Fury as comic relief a bit too much... Almost didn't seem like the same character.

I thought this was as my wife put it “the okayest” Marvel movie. I like a lot of parts more than I imagined I would, and the “girl power pandering” that a lot of people feared wasn’t nearly as prevalent as I had imagined. My biggest issues are with pacing and a few of the flashback sequences but I have a personal aversion to flashbacks in movies so I won’t gripe too much. Overall I think Carol worked for me by the end and I’m looking forward to seeing her in End Game

Saw it over the weekend, it was decent, but there was definitely some groan inducing moments, not just from me but the crowd.

Things I liked: Stan Lees cameo was freaking awesome. Loved it. Really liked the skrull makeups and them being refugees were cool, wasnt expecting it cause in the comics they are totally villains. Was hoping for a super skrull cameo but didnt get it.

The music was kind of meh, I was almost expecting the spice girls to play because all the tunes were all female fronted bands except nirvana.

Brie Larson was just ok. I thought everyone did a better job acting than she did. Didnt like that fury lost his eye to an alien cat scratch. Also didnt like how the cat wasnt explained at all, that it was just there. Also didnt like that Carol was the reason for the Avengers being called the Avengers, thought that was lame. Also thought it was dumb while she was powering up at the end, when she was talking to the supreme intelligence, the kree dudes(dont remember their names) just stood there and watched her instead of doing something. People laughed in the theater.

I have a feeling since her powers come from the tesseract kinda like Scarlet Witch's does, she is going to have a big part in Endgame, which is what Im afraid of. So, Ill have to put my faith in Feige and the Russos.

So I have a few questions. Did Carol not know she had an inhibitor chip implanted in her? Did she regain all her memories at the end?

Saw it over the weekend, it was decent, but there was definitely some groan inducing moments, not just from me but the crowd.

Things I liked: Stan Lees cameo was freaking awesome. Loved it. Really liked the skrull makeups and them being refugees were cool, wasnt expecting it cause in the comics they are totally villains. Was hoping for a super skrull cameo but didnt get it.

The music was kind of meh, I was almost expecting the spice girls to play because all the tunes were all female fronted bands except nirvana.

Brie Larson was just ok. I thought everyone did a better job acting than she did. Didnt like that fury lost his eye to an alien cat scratch. Also didnt like how the cat wasnt explained at all, that it was just there. Also didnt like that Carol was the reason for the Avengers being called the Avengers, thought that was lame. Also thought it was dumb while she was powering up at the end, when she was talking to the supreme intelligence, the kree dudes(dont remember their names) just stood there and watched her instead of doing something. People laughed in the theater.

I have a feeling since her powers come from the tesseract kinda like Scarlet Witch's does, she is going to have a big part in Endgame, which is what Im afraid of. So, Ill have to put my faith in Feige and the Russos.

So I have a few questions. Did Carol not know she had an inhibitor chip implanted in her? Did she regain all her memories at the end?

1. No, Carol didn't realize that the chip was inhibiting her powers. She thought that it was what GAVE her the powers. It was one of the ways the Kree tried to keep her under their thumb, by constantly harping on the whole "we gave you these powers, we can take them away".

2. I would say "Yes", but we'll probably have to wait until Endgame to find out for certain.

Put your faith in them!
The way I read it was that BECAUSE her original transformation came from a power source that came from the Tesseract then its a strong possibility that the owner of the powers of that stone ie Thanos is likely to be able to exert some influence over hers as well. At least that's the way I'd prefer it, and its interesting to note in the latest trailer you don't see CM in one of those neat white suits!

I saw this last night and I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.
The biggest issue I have is that I didn't find Brie Larson had any real charisma at all - which surprised me - and in the end, I felt indifferent towards her for the most part. Her best scenes (for me) were ironically when she was replaced with a CG character because then she was truly awesome.

I feel they were trying to strike the same serious vibe the Chris Evans has mastered as Captain America but she for me, didn't come across as honest, erstwhile or serious, she just came across as bland..
The was a lot I liked about this movie.

But I think it would have worked better if it was Fury's movie. And she was a bit more Alien. That way it would have better character arcs. Fury would have really had his eyes opened to the universe and she would have found her humanity.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film.
I was surprised the SLJ age effect was for the entire film, I figured the 90s stuff was just going to be some early genesis backstory. But they really made it work.
Now I want them to de age Sly and do some Rocky Prequels!!
My only gripe was the pulling of the fingerprint from the ID card. My eye roll may have been loud enough to disturb the other viewers.
Really looking forward to Endgame now.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back