Interest DaveP's 40th Anniversary Luke Hero (Interest Thread)

DaveP

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone!

Wishing you all a very happy May 4th!!!

Celebration.gif

It's no secret that I've been working on an updated version of my Luke V1 Hero for quite some time now...

It was always my intention to kick this run off today to celebrate what is a very special May 4th! I've been planning to revisit this iconic prop to mark the 40th anniversary of ROTJ (my personal favourite!) for over a year now.

I announced my current run this time last year on the assumption that it would be completed by now. It is still very much ongoing though! The research and development of the Obi Static ended up being a VERY long and in-depth process and as you may know, there were a few hurdles to overcome before it finally went in to production at the beginning of this year!

Work has now begun on fulfilling orders for that run, now that the majority of the parts have arrived, and my time is very much focussed on that for the time being!

I just thought I'd give a little preview of what's coming next (later this year):

POMMEL VIEW.jpg

EMITTER.jpg
BOX VIEW.jpg

REVEAL.jpg

EXPLODED VIEW.jpg

PCB.jpg

A LOT of research and discussion has gone on relating to this particular prop over the course of this last year! Most notably around the reveal board discovery (credit goes to BRRogers for that of course!). The work that Poikilotherm has done on this is incredible too! I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a couple of these now myself, and have successfully reconstructed the layout of the board. I've completely overhauled the interior or my control box too, and with the help of 3251bimmer have identified some of the brass parts based on his genuine Death Star brass. Where it's not been possible to match to real world examples, I've referred back to the prop references. The switch has been modelled on an Exactra 20 switch too, which fits perfectly and sits at the perfect height, matching the few references where it can be seen...

There is so, so much to discuss and share about this project, and the various rabbit holes I've found myself going down over the course of the last year or two! I look forward to sharing more later in the year! There may be the odd tweak here and there but the vast majority of the work is done, with models and drawings pretty much finalised.

I could write a lengthy post about each and every minute detail, but for now I'll leave you with this very brief taster, and will go in to greater detail when my time isn't quite so stretched!

My main priority right now is my current Obi Run of course, which I'll be returning to now.

Please feel free to express your interest though. I'm VERY excited to announce that I'll be doing things a little differently with this run, and all future runs going forward.

I'll no longer be requesting payments until I have the parts in hand.

The patience and trust that has been shown to me over the course of my previous runs is absolutely phenomenal (particularly this latest one)! The responsibility does weigh heavily on me though. Especially when problems arise and delays occur.

Going forward, I'll be ordering lower quantities up front and out of my own pocket. So you can expect smaller, shorter (repeat) runs of these, as well as some of my other hilts.

So, please feel free to express an interest, so that I know who to inform of any updates. Or feel free to follow the thread to be updated that way when the time comes to move forward with things.

I hope you're as excited as I am to be revisiting this one! It's where it all started for me, so it holds a very special place in my heart. :)

I hope you're all having a great May 4th, however you're celebrating the occasion!

All the best, and MTFBWY!

Dave

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back