Limited Run DaveP's Obi Static Parts Run 2022/23 (Sign-Up Closed)

**Update**

Good morning everyone.

Just a quick update before weekend...

This week I've been working my way through the list of tasks. Darkening of steel is temporarily on hold though now while I await the arrival of some fresh blacking solution. It is reusable to a certain extent, but my current batch has now lost its potency and needs replacing.

All going well though in terms of making my way through the list.

As you all know, a large chunk of this week has also been taken up with invoicing and general admin/correspondence.

I'm now very happy to say that ALL invoices have been sent out ahead of time! As I mentioned when sending them out, there is no obligation to pay these until orders are ready to ship. Getting them all made up and sent out is a huge relief though and now one less thing to worry about later on.

A big THANK YOU to those who have chosen to pay ahead of time. It's obviously very much appreciated!

Now that much of the admin side of things is taken care of, and everyone's preferences are noted, I can concentrate on working my way through the "TO DO" list.

For "ThinNeckThursday" this week I took some beauty shots of a finished un-Weathered hilt next to my weathered build for comparison:

COMP1.jpg

COMP3.jpg
COMP5.jpg
COMP2.jpg

COMP4.jpg

I did intend on swapping the clamp over on my weathered build in time for these, but didn't quite have one ready unfortunately. I've been experimenting this week with the final method for weathering my clamps and it's taken a little longer than I expected. The one in the above pictures has the rust painted on, as this third party replica is made from stainless steel and not plated.

I've finally settled on a method for selectively removing the plating and getting the underlying steel to rust.

After MUCH experimentation with chemicals and acids, I've decided the most controlled method is to grind off the plating by hand using a rotary tool.

The rust is then kicked off with white vinegar followed by several applications of water spray. The process is sped up using a heat gun:

CLAMP1.jpg

CLAMP2.jpg

CLAMP3.jpg
CLAMP4.jpg

Please bare in mind that this is freshly applied foil and doesn't yet have any additional dirt and grime. So it still looks VERY clean!

Please consider this a WIP.

The rust seen here is genuine rust though, and I'm really happy with how it's turned out in the end. :)

No change on the expected arrival time for the injection moulded parts. I'll keep you all informed as soon as I hear any news though.

There have been some developments on the foam packaging too.... I've been let down by the company I originally placed the order with. I've requested a refund and placed the order with a different (better) company. These are in production and will have arrived in time for shipping.

It's only a small thing, but I'm really excited to show these off! Even more excited to be able to ditch the bubble wrap! :lol:

Anyway, that's all for this week. I'll continue to keep you updated with any progress.

Have a great weekend everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

**UPDATE**

Hi Everyone.

Just a quick curtesy update to keep you all up to date with how things are going...

Apologies for the radio silence since the last update. These past couple of week have been particularly busy as everything has been coming together! I did intend on posting an update before weekend, but I ran out of time towards the end of last week and felt that prioritising getting through the work was the best approach.

I'm just doing a bit of house keeping today though and catching up on correspondence, so figured I'd get a few pictures together and post a quick update while I'm at the computer.

Much of last week was spent assembling the various sections for the un-weathered hilt orders.

PXL_20230708_101812157~2 copy.jpg

PXL_20230710_100419495 copy.jpg

PXL_20230710_100552711 copy.jpg

PXL_20230710_111332285 copy.jpg

The Injection moulded parts arrived, and it took a while to go through every piece to check for imperfections and make sure nothing was missing.

PXL_20230710_103932790 copy.jpg

I now finally have all parts in hand and am in the process of assembling un-weathered hilts which will hopefully be shipping by the end of this week!!

I'm really happy to say that the foam inserts have finally arrived now too!

PXL_20230710_083726192 copy.jpg

This will speed up the whole shipping process massively, and will hopefully be a more enjoyable unboxing experience too now that I'm able to ditch the bubble wrap!

I've made some great progress on commissions too this last week, with most parts in a "nearly finished" state. I'll begin assembly of these first weathered hilts next week (after getting the un-weathered orders on their way) and will post another major update when I get to that stage.

I'd rather not post images of semi-finished parts if that's ok, so I'll save commission related images for next week's update (which will be a big one!)

For now though, I'm going to slip back off the radar to focus on getting through the remaining work.

Please feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions or concerns and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. (y)

I'm really looking forward to finally getting these on their way to their new homes!

Another big thank you to all those who have paid their final invoices ahead of time. I will obviously go straight ahead and get these orders shipped out as soon as they're ready. (y) All final invoices have now been sent out. I can send out a reminder for unpaid invoices through Xero as each order becomes ready to ship, so no need to do anything in the meantime. (y)

I'll aim to get the next major update posted towards the end of next week, when the first batch of commissions will hopefully be ready to ship!

Thanks again and MTFBWY-A,

Dave

This astonishing work of art arrived via UPS today. Your Obi Wan ANH Lightsaber is stunning, it has a forensic level of detail and a seriously, solid heft. It will take me a while to fully take it all in - but congratulations, it is an extraordinary achievement.

Attachments

• IMG_0317a.JPG
    IMG_0317a.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 200
**UPDATE**

Hi everyone. As promised, here’s another update before weekend, focussing on the progress I’ve made with weathering commissions.

ALL orders which did not include Weathering commissions are now finished and on their way to their new homes! (y)

I took this image of one of the few fully machine finished orders as I don’t think I’ve posted one previously and not sure I’ll see another one any time soon:

PXL_20230717_104244481 copy.jpg

It’s a huge relief to finally be shipping complete orders out to people! (If a little nerve racking too!)

It’s been an incredibly long and difficult run, so I can’t thank you enough for the patience and understanding that’s been shown by everyone who has taken part.

Thanks so much to everyone commenting for their kind words too. I really do appreciate it! :)

It seemed as though the universe was against this one at times, throwing up hurdle after hurdle. But every problem had a solution in the end, and to have finally gotten to the stage where we’ve gone from reference, to drawing board, to the complete physical replica is a real source of pride (and relief!).

I could not have done it without your support! So thank you all!

This particular project was more than just a single replica. It was more like working on five/six replicas simultaneously, with more than twenty individual components. All with their own unique problems to find solutions to.

As you’ll know, I strive for absolute perfection! As frustrating as it is though, “there is always room for improvement”. Please do keep this in mind, and try to judge the success of this project as a whole.

I really do agonise over EVERY single detail, but I am beholden to the manufacturers to a certain extent, and during the course of production, problems can arise that require solutions/compromises.

There are some things which I would request to be done a little differently next time around. Nothing that is actually visible on the final product. There are certain processes though that I feel could have been done differently.

That said, I am incredibly proud of the overall final result. I always set out to make these replicas out of a desire to own one for myself and I can safely say that this is now my prise possession:

I hope that everyone receiving them is happy with the final product too and that they enjoy them as much as I’ve enjoyed working on them. As challenging as it has been at times, It’s been an honour and a pleasure to work on!

Batch One Commissions are well underway, and now that the un-weathered orders are complete, this first batch of commissions should be finished very soon.

The Process for rusting the steel is working well, and all grenades are finished and ready for install:

PXL_20230720_112931641 copy.jpg

PXL_20230720_113050008 copy.jpg

Emitters are all done and ready for installing too. These are particularly time consuming so it’s good to have these finished and ready to go. (y)

PXL_20230720_131201176 copy.jpg

PXL_20230720_131318553 copy.jpg

PXL_20230720_134029516 copy.jpg

Other elements are very much in progress but not at the “sharing stage”:

• Boosters are rusted but awaiting their final blacking.
  • Clamps are drilled and ready to receive their damage/foil.
  • Clamp foil is cut and weeded ready for application.
  • Transistors have had decals applied.

Up until now, I’ve been working on un-weathered orders along side Batch one commission work. Now that un-weathered hilts have shipped, the remaining work on batch one should progress quickly.

I’ll then work on Batch two and Three simultaneously to a certain extent (where it makes sense to do so). For example, I’ll plan for chemical days, where steel needs to be blacked, and try to get things like this done together.

Suffice to say, I will do my upmost to get all remaining orders out to everyone as soon as I can (but as discussed previously, without rushing).

Please don’t worry about me rushing any of this through. I really do agonise over calling anything “done”, so this is certainly nothing to worry about!

Just a small and slightly inconvenient announcement regarding next week... The School summer holidays have crept up on me (Starting Monday), and I have a family trip booked for next week. So unfortunately, work will have to pause until next Friday, when I will pick things back up where they’ve been left off and will be back at full steam ahead!

I would NOT choose to take a break at this particular moment, with this amount of work outstanding. I don’t plan these things though (the wife does!), and this has been booked for some time now.

This run has been all-consuming this past year, and has been particularly intense this past few weeks.

Stepping back and taking a breath will actually be a good opportunity to recharge the batteries! I hope that this is ok with everyone. I’m looking forward to coming back, fully refreshed and in full weathering mode!

If you do have any questions or concerns, I'll try to respond to them as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

Last edited:
Dave, I have received my saber today and it is an amazing prop!
this is one of the best replicas I have bought since collecting and it is exactly what I hope to receive everytime I order from someone. I know this run has been difficult, there has been a lot of delays and this certainly caused a lot of stress on your end, but the result is absolutely great, you can be proud about it!

There was certainly a bit of stress on my end as well, I never ordered before something from a 3D model! not seing prototype photos before paying was a big gamble, but this time at least, it was worth it! I have to say this has been a confusing run for me, at first I wanted only the emiter to change on my saber as it was the only part I wasn't satisfied with, then came the break down of prices and I had to go with the full saber as the emiter alone was too expensive for me, weird I know, but I was thinking I would do my own mix of parts and sell one of sabers when I was satisfied with my final saber, and now that I received the saber, I'm really struggling to know what I'll do! My original idea of this saber is pretty weathered and I was thinking of harvesting a few parts from your offer and improve my saber with it, but I like what I received so much that now I'm hesitating keeping both sabers and have a bit of an idealized clean saber, and a weathered beaten up saber! This doesn't really happen to me Dave, I have one of each prop in my collection, never two, but your saber as received is extremely good!

kudos again, you achieved something real nice :)

here are some photos to share some love for it :)
so yes guys, as received, "unweathered" option, look at this!
DSC_0006_small.jpg

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

a bit of a low light mood photo:
DSC_0010.JPG

and proudly resting with a few other of my props on my poor man display
DSC_0016.JPG

Thank you Dave for the real great saber!

Dave, I have received my saber today and it is an amazing prop!
this is one of the best replicas I have bought since collecting and it is exactly what I hope to receive everytime I order from someone. I know this run has been difficult, there has been a lot of delays and this certainly caused a lot of stress on your end, but the result is absolutely great, you can be proud about it!

There was certainly a bit of stress on my end as well, I never ordered before something from a 3D model! not seing prototype photos before paying was a big gamble, but this time at least, it was worth it! I have to say this has been a confusing run for me, at first I wanted only the emiter to change on my saber as it was the only part I wasn't satisfied with, then came the break down of prices and I had to go with the full saber as the emiter alone was too expensive for me, weird I know, but I was thinking I would do my own mix of parts and sell one of sabers when I was satisfied with my final saber, and now that I received the saber, I'm really struggling to know what I'll do! My original idea of this saber is pretty weathered and I was thinking of harvesting a few parts from your offer and improve my saber with it, but I like what I received so much that now I'm hesitating keeping both sabers and have a bit of an idealized clean saber, and a weathered beaten up saber! This doesn't really happen to me Dave, I have one of each prop in my collection, never two, but your saber as received is extremely good!

kudos again, you achieved something real nice :)

here are some photos to share some love for it :)
so yes guys, as received, "unweathered" option, look at this!
View attachment 1721502
View attachment 1721503
View attachment 1721504
View attachment 1721505

a bit of a low light mood photo:
View attachment 1721506

and proudly resting with a few other of my props on my poor man display
View attachment 1721507

Thank you Dave for the real great saber!
Man, you kinda got me wishing I got an unweathered one too. But I know the weathered will be worth the wait.

eethan Combine what you want all into one hilt! I ordered unweathered parts so I might weather them to my tastes. Fully weathered Chronicles Hero Kenobi doesn't sit right with me (particularly the stuff in and on the clamp), but a little rust in the grenade, carbon/oil stains on the emitter, and gunpowder and heat staining from repeat firing on the booster; that is all there when they made the filming prop.

Just wanted to drop in here and say my saber has arrived! I don’t have time to stop and snap the photos this thing deserves so I’ll leave that up to our more photography inclined members, but I must tell you Dave this lives up to, and exceeds, the hype. Absolutely overjoyed. Thanks for another wonderful saber!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back