Limited Run DaveP's Obi Static Parts Run 2022/23 (Sign-Up Closed)

Hey guys, if anyone is looking to get on the run, I unfortunately have to bow out. I’m hoping to get the price I paid for it (I want to say £693.00 when all is said and done but I am doublechecking if I paid for commission work yet) but I am open to reasonable offers. You would be part of Batch 2 so it would ship out in mid September to you!

Last edited:
**UPDATE**

Morning everyone.

Hope you’ve all had a great week!

Just another update on the work that’s been completed since last week’s update…

I wasn’t able to work last weekend as we were away for my daughters birthday, but it’s been a very productive week! Monday and Tuesday were spent stamping rings and installing them on to wind vanes.

STAMPING.jpg

It’s important to install each wind vane correctly so that the “U” in “ROBURITE” (or “O” in “COTTON”) can be aligned to correspond with the references, along with the damage/buckling.

NECK DAMAGE.jpg

NECKS.jpg

Wednesday was spent chemically darkening all of the brass parts.

This is done using Birchwood Casey Brass Black.

BRASS BLACK.jpg

After being blackened, each piece requires some clean up. A powdery residue forms on the surface that has to be cleaned off. Once this is done, it reveals an attractive antique finish. I knock back the effect where you would expect to see the brighter brass on more exposed edges.

COTTON BLACKENED.jpg

The top section of the neck is left as bright, untreated brass too to match the references.

NECK BLACKENED.jpg

For the tape, I decided it would be a worthwhile exercise to draw up a template for the strip (including damage) and cut it on the plotter.

TAPE.jpg

This will help to maintain consistency, as well as saving me a heap of work.

TAPE INSTALLED.jpg

All grenades for Batch One are now 100% finished and waiting on final assembly!

GRENADES.jpg

I’ve also pre-painted emitter inserts, so that’s another one of the last few smaller jobs ticked off the list:

INSERTS.jpg

I spent Thursday and Friday concentrating on the Boosters/Spacers.

Spacers have now been Chemically blackened. The last few of these didn’t take as well as I’d like however, which means that the last of my blacking solution has lost it’s potency. I’ve ordered some more to arrive next week to blacken the boosters.

SPACERS.jpg

This hasn’t held me up at all. The grenades are almost (but not quite) ready for blacking. They have had their damage applied, and I’ve added some natural rust to the fin/groove sections.

BOOSTER DAMAGE.jpg

BOOSTER RUST.jpg

This is the same process as the grenade sections. The rust will be cleaned off everywhere except for the grooves prior to blacking. The rust acts as a barrier to the solution and will result in a blackened booster with rust deposits in the grooves. The edges of the fins will then be highlighted as seen on the original prop:

REF800.png

Picking back up on Monday, I’ll get the boosters cleaned up ready for the arrival of my fresh chemicals. This is now the very last job aside from final assembly, so when I say that the finish line is in sight for this batch, It really is, and I expect them to ship sometime next week.

The delay in getting this batch sent out has obviously impacted the dates I originally gave for the completion of Batch two/three.

I do expect these to be completed before the end of September however, so not “too” much of an extension to those dates.

I hope this is ok with everyone. I’ll continue to document my progress going forward and will post an update every weekend with images from the past week.

Thanks again for your patience everyone! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate how understanding and supportive everyone has been.

Have a great weekend, and as always, if you have any questions, please do get in touch.

All the best and MTFBWY-A,

Dave

Last edited:
**UPDATE**

Hi everyone.

Here's my weekend update. A little later than usual, sorry about that. :eek:

It's been an incredibly busy week again, but very productive! I'm happy to say that all of the individual parts for batch one have now been fully weathered, and are just awaiting final assembly. (y)

Last night I went ahead and paid shipping for all of batch one and generated tracking numbers. I've also sent out emails to everyone individually to pass on tracking details earlier today. If you think that you should have received one, but haven't, please check your spam folder. Give me a shout if you have any problems.

Rather than booking a collection, it's my plan to package orders as they're assembled and then drop them off at my local UPS drop-off point at the end of each day. It's my hope to have all of them sent out by the end of Tuesday.

Hope this is ok for everyone.

I'll document the assembly process for the next update. Really looking forward to seeing these come together as fully finished hilts!

This week was spent weathering the handwheels and boosters. As I was waiting on blacking solution to finish the boosters/spacers, I started the week weathering the pommels.

This started out by adding the scratches to each of the fully weathered pommels.

PXL_20230831_112251927 copy.jpg

PXL_20230831_114415874 copy.jpg

Once all of the scratches had been done, I added some light scuffing to the surfaces as well as some subtle build up of grime.

I LOVE weathering powder for this sort of thing, but in this case it would have required a clear coat of some sort (something I'm not fond of at all). So, instead of weathering powder, I've opted for oil paints for this one. I've found that the rather appropriately named "star ship filth" by Abteilung is PERFECT for dirtying up parts. I generally go on very heavy, and then clean off with cotton pads, leaving the built up filth in any hard to reach places.

PXL_20230831_151641380~3 copy.jpg
PXL_20230831_151606920~2 copy.jpg
PXL_20230831_161339320 copy.jpg

Although I choose to leave the cap off my personal build, I've gone ahead and added some dirt to the edges of the cap too.

PXL_20230831_161449516 copy.jpg

It's hard to get an accurate representation of how these look in person due to their reflective properties (the bane of my life). They really do look pretty cool in person though. It's subtle, but looks authentic. They really do look like genuinely old/used handwheels which is what I was going for. If anything, the actual effect is a lot subtler in person.

I've not installed the caps at this stage as this is the very last thing to do once everything is assembled on to the coach bolt.

The blacking solution arrived on Thursday and the latter part of the week was spent finishing boosters!

They were all still in a fully rusted state from last week and needed to have the rust removed from everywhere except the grooves.

PXL_20230901_095408248 copy.jpg

PXL_20230901_104946382 copy.jpg

Once they'd been cleaned up sufficiently, they were dipped in the blacking solution.

PXL_20230901_111151153 copy.jpg

The rust acts as a barrier to the solution and so remains, whilst the areas that are cleaned up are affected by the chemicals.

The black oxide was then removed from the appropriate areas and the edges of the fins were highlighted, before dewatering oil was applied to prevent any further rusting.

PXL_20230901_153531390 copy.jpg

I'm really happy with how these have turned out and can't wait to see them alongside the other parts as I begin to assemble the finished hilts!

Apologies for the rather brief update this week. I had a lot of non-work related things to attend to today and have struggled to get a moment to put pen to paper. o_O

I hope you all like how the last few parts are looking though, and can't wait to start putting them all together over the next couple of days.

Signing off for now. Please bare with me while I reply to some of the messages I've received over the course of today though. I'll respond to everyone asap. If you've requested an address change/special request regarding shipping, please rest assured that I've received these, and will reply asap. It's no problem at all to void a shipment before it's shipped and book it back in under a different address (at no cost).

Going to have to call it a day for now, but will respond to all correspondence first thing tomorrow morning and update any shipping details where needed.

Thanks again for your patience everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

Last edited:
It is a really good week when a DaveP package shows up on the delivery list:

View attachment 1736672

Now to somehow kill the time until Thursday…
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Sorry to say that you've received this email a bit prematurely Drew. :(

All of batch one WILL be shipping later today. I aimed to have them all sent out by yesterday evening.

The assembly process proved to be petty intense/laborious though.

Just making sure each piece is aligned correctly and installing the cotter pins (which is done during assembly) has taken up a lot of time.

Rather than finish half and then package/send half, I've been working towards finishing them all together before moving on to packaging. They're all now 99% finished but require a couple of finishing touches. Like one last dab of paint on the exposed end of the coach bolts.

I should be finished by lunchtime and be moving on to packing this afternoon.

All shopping labels are printed and ready to go and we have pre-cut inserts for the boxes now.

So, this evening I'll be filling the car up and heading over to the UPS drop-off point (hopefully they don't have a limit on the number of parcels in a single drop!)

I'm not sure why some people have been receiving updates form UPS. I guess it's a bug at their end. I didn't expect these to start going out until after they'd been dropped off.

I'm assuming "expected delivery dates" will be updated once the packages enter in to the system.

Sorry for the confusion, and for the slight delay.

Everything's looking good to be finished today though, and I'll finally have them on their way!

Hope this is ok and apologies again for any disappointment.

All the best,

Dave

**UPDATE**

**The first transport is away!**

TRANSPORT.gif

Batch one is done, and sent!

Assembly, packing, and shipping was a big job in itself, but I'm happy to report that all paid up batch one orders are now on their way to their new homes! :eek:

Here are some pictures from this past week:

ASSEMBLY2.jpg

ASSEMBLY1.jpg

ASSEMBLY4.jpg

ASSEMBLY3.jpg

ASSEMBLY5.jpg

Just in the process of having a really good tidy up of the workshop, ready to get my teeth in to batch 2 & 3.

As I've mentioned previously, I'll be working on the individual parts for B2+B3 in one go, and then splitting in to separate batches for final assembly and shipping. This is the most practical way of working as I have "chemical days" where I commandeer the house/kitchen, so it makes sense to get everything done in one go.

It's worth pointing out that I won't be starting completely from scratch. All of the remaining emitters have already been chemically treated. there were a couple of un-weathered (but treated) emitters missing from B1, so I figured I'd go ahead and get them all done! My first job, starting Monday, will be to finish weathering these.

I'll keep you posted with my progress!

We're a couple of weeks behind now on the original dates I gave for shipping. I won't make the mistake of giving specific dates until closer to the time, but I am aiming to have all of the parts finished and to be on to assembly before the end of this month.

I hope that sounds ok for everyone.

Thanks again for your incredible patience everyone! I really appreciate all your support!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

REST.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back