Interest GB1 "hero-style" stunt traps for Halloween

ThrowingChicken

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
entX1pp.jpg

A Word About This Project:

Those of you who follow my FB artist page know I've been working on my own set of blueprints for an eventual GB1 hero trap build, with plans to release it around Halloween. I was so confident in my build that I sold off all of my Matty traps, but something something of mice and men. Now I find myself just a few short weeks away from Halloween with no trap for my costume! Solution: Take my trap plans at their current state and make a GB1 "hero-style" stunt trap in time for Halloween.

What is meant by "hero-style" stunt trap? Most of us recognize the hero traps from GB1 as the definitive Ghostbusters trap. They are big and bulky, made out of metal and super heavy. They were so heavy that they were replaced with smaller versions in Ghostbusters 2. When most people think of "Stunt Ghost Trap", they think of the traps in GB2 because of how often the GB2 trap has been put on display. Lesser known is the GB1 stunt traps, they were also slightly smaller than the GB1 hero traps, but other than through a few brief shots in the first movie not many people have seen them. The purpose of this project is not to make a GB1 or GB2 stunt trap as used in the movie, but rather a stunt trap to the size and proportions of the big and bulky GB1 hero traps... only not as heavy!

If there is sufficient interest, this trap will be molded mostly as one giant piece and rotocast with grey resin and filled with ridged foam. The trap doors, handle, and front plate will be separate. The pedal will not be included at this time.

Be sure to post if you are interested in this kit.

The Photos:

entX1pp.jpg

3XeNeMz.jpg

nLrxYkp.jpg

V9IDMkw.jpg

JNT3j0K.jpg

JYhqayj.jpg

YynfOIF.jpg

Not shown but will be included: Knobs, vector plate, side rods, handle, release lever, and front panel cover.

Costs:
The expected cost of the trap will be $200 + shipping. If there is enough interest I will get moving on producing the trap.

Further Questions & Answers:

Q: When will you be ready to ship?
A: The plan is to finish off the original and start the mold over the weekend and begin casting next week.

Q: What is the shipping method?
A: Everything will ship USPS Priority.

Q: Are you going to use genuine knobs?
A: I will do my best to cast from as many genuine parts as possible, but due to time constraints and rarities I cannot guarantee that every part will originate from an OEM source. In those cases you will just have to trust in my best judgment to find or build a suitable replacement.

Q: Is the cartridge removable?
A: No, the trap as a whole is being rotocast as one piece. The cartridge and the trap housing will be one.

Q: Can we add lights?
A: Maybe. The front panel will be left open as pictured, and there may be some room for rudimentary lights. Do not expect to fit an entire light kit without some major modifications.

Q: Can the doors open?
A: Yes. In order to keep the proportions of the hero trap the doors will be detached from the main body. This will allow you to either glue down the doors, or add pins and screws so they open.

Q: Can the doors open mechanically?
A: Unlikely, but maybe with heavy modification. The inside of the trap is not hollow. You would likely have to cut into the opening and remove the inner foam to add stuff like mechanics.

Q: Can I add wheels?
A: Yes! The bottom of the trap has slots where wheels can be added.

Q: Why no pedal?
A: With a limited time before Halloween, I decided to focus my time on the meat of the prop.

Q: Will the screws be pre-cast on the trap or do we add them later?
A: Honestly I have yet to decide this. I personally think adding real screws after the fact makes for a better prop, but I can understand wanting to have a cast ready to go without having to buy more things. I welcome input on this matter, but ultimately it may be a split decision by me.

If you have any more questions let me know and I will add them to this list.

Thanks for looking!

Seller Info:

Justin Chase Black
San Antonio, TX

So I'm just making sure as I read this. This is just for a kit with no wheels. Just the basic trap. So if I'm missing it. Thanks. I could be interested.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back