Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

Stop asking "And then what happened." Because here are your answers:

1. "They lived happily ever after."

2. "They grew old and died, as did most of the people they knew."

3. "Nothing. The story's over. Go to sleep."

(y)(y)

ferris youre still here GIF

I saw it over the weekend. It's better than Crystal Skull, but that's not saying much.
Still, I just didn't care about the characters all that much. I'm also baffled by several plot points.
ARRRGH, HERE THERE BE SPOILERS, SAYS I:
  • So, the doctor has apparently US government agents with him who have no issues throwing Marines out of a helicopter, and the one guy is totally fine with the plan to allow the Germans to win WW2???
  • Where the heck did they find that HE-111-looking bomber and how did nobody notice it taking up a hangar in 1960s Italy? And for that matter, what was that plane? No HE-111 had twin rudders
  • How did the remains of that HE-111 (or the pistols and such, anything other than the one guy's wristwatch) not wind up somewhere to be found before WW2? It would have been worshipped and talked about for centuries after crashing where it wound up
  • Jones winds up teaching at some 'diploma mill' at the tail end of his career? He would have had quite the reputation by then; how did his peers not know more about him?

Only the lady was CIA, the guys in civilian clothing were his personal henchmen. I don't remember the details around getting rid of the marines.

As for the plane, the flying wing in raiders didn't exist either, so thats nothing new. Also there are surviving WWII aircraft in hangers around the globe today, so why would a random one in Italy be odd?

I expect Archimedes made sure the crash site was cleaned up. I'm sure he would find a use for all that aluminum.

Yeah, that struck me as strange as well. I would have thought at this point in his career he would have been highly revered and extremely respected landing him a position at Yale or Harvard, at the very least Brown.

As much as I dislike the idea, Indy being a disgraced academic makes a lot of sense. Most would regard him as a former grave robber. And he never came back with anything spectacular enough to justify his methods.

“Small world, Dr. Jones…”

I believe that I recognize a couple of the Dr. Jones cosplayers in this pic as guys that I watched popping their whips in a park, literally right near my backyard, in Castle Rock.
Yep! The Colorado Jones group has been steadily growing, and we try to get out for some whip practice on occasion. I haven’t made it to a whip session in awhile, but some of the other guys, including those in the photo, were out not too long ago!

We usually hit up Phillip Miller Park in Castle Rock as it’s a nice in-between spot for most of us.

Sean

There's no story left, so they need to force one.
Saying something can have "story left" or "no story left" implies that there was a master story concept from which the installments were being drawn -- which, in the case of Indy, couldn't be further from the truth. Spielberg thought there was (because George told him there was) but when they sat down for Raiders 2, he realized George didn't actually have any story in mind and they had to start from scratch every single time. Like Indy, they were making it up as they go. Which is a perfectly valid way to approach a series. Each installment must earn its place, and narrative decisions are better made with a healthy distance anyway. Those story choices have to stand on their own regardless of when those decisions are made. Some folks will think Temple is the series' new zenith, others will think it completely undermines everything that made Raiders great. These are the perils of any series. The blank page facing Indy 5 is no different than any of the other installments.

Another reason I think we're seeing the elder legacy heroes face a certain kind of existential morose (to varying levels of dramatic success, depending on your taste) is at the feet of the stars who have veto power: in the age of "prestige drama", these are the kind of beats actors want to sink their teeth into, because these are the type of roles they're given their flowers for. This is absolutely the case with Harrison and Indy 5, and they found the filmmaker that would enable him to fulfill that exploration. (Even if his action blocking and sense of narrative structure can't hold a candle to Steve's, they knew he would bring the drama.) It might not be what every fan wants, but the series is so varied in tone that you can't possibly account for every taste, so why not account for Harrison's first, especially if Steve doesn't want to get back in the saddle?

Side note, but it's also been fascinating to observe the pre-release narrative surrounding this film, how that has tempered expectations, and how that has affected folk's perception of the movie. There was much hemming and hawing about this being a "practical" (hate that word) production, and so I think the movie's attempt at classical shot design (regardless of how successful it is at achieving it) along with the muddy aesthetic wash placed over the whole thing affirmed that perception for people -- even though this movie has wall-to-wall CG (full face replacement, partial facial manipulation, digital doubles, set extensions, full CG environs, atmospherics, everything) that likely exceeds the raw amount used in Crystal Skull. I'm not for or against any particular tool (and I personally think Dial isn't half the movie Kingdom was, though I did enjoy it) but the perceptual affect of both aesthetics and extratextual BTS narrative have been really interesting to watch play out.

Only the lady was CIA, the guys in civilian clothing were his personal henchmen. I don't remember the details around getting rid of the marines.

As for the plane, the flying wing in raiders didn't exist either, so thats nothing new. Also there are surviving WWII aircraft in hangers around the globe today, so why would a random one in Italy be odd?

I expect Archimedes made sure the crash site was cleaned up. I'm sure he would find a use for all that aluminum.

As much as I dislike the idea, Indy being a disgraced academic makes a lot of sense. Most would regard him as a former grave robber. And he never came back with anything spectacular enough to justify his methods.

Well, as far as the argument that Indy was never successful because never got to hold on to the treasures... he DID eventually get the Cross of Coronado, and turned it over to the University.

Well, as far as the argument that Indy was never successful because never got to hold on to the treasures... he DID eventually get the Cross of Coronado, and turned it over to the University.

I didn't say he never brought anything back, just that what he did get wasn't enough to outweigh his reputation. The man is banned from Madagascar. Remember a while back somebody wrote a letter from the tenure committee denying Indy tenure? It was funny because it was true.

People wanna write these long diatribes about Marvel movie fatigue...maybe it's people just having franchise fatigue more generally?

Or maybe, the draw of the theater is waning in general, as streaming becomes the preferred method of viewing? I know I far prefer to watch stuff in the comfort of my own home where the concessions are cheaper, nobody is distracting me with their phone, I can surf MY phone without anyone giving me grief, and I can pause to go to the bathroom if I want.

I still enjoy seeing the odd movie at a theater (or I did -- I haven't been back since COVID), but even before COVID I was pretty much only seeing tentpole films at the theater maybe like 1-3 times a year.

Maybe other folks are just reaching that same point.

People wanna write these long diatribes about Marvel movie fatigue...maybe it's people just having franchise fatigue more generally?

Or maybe, the draw of the theater is waning in general, as streaming becomes the preferred method of viewing? I know I far prefer to watch stuff in the comfort of my own home where the concessions are cheaper, nobody is distracting me with their phone, I can surf MY phone without anyone giving me grief, and I can pause to go to the bathroom if I want.

I still enjoy seeing the odd movie at a theater (or I did -- I haven't been back since COVID), but even before COVID I was pretty much only seeing tentpole films at the theater maybe like 1-3 times a year.

Ah, yes…the magic of the 21st century version of the “theater experience”…

IMG_9665.jpeg
IMG_9664.jpeg
IMG_9662.jpeg
IMG_9660.jpeg
IMG_9658.jpeg

I still feel like the Indiana Jones series had the perfect ending with Crusade. Still, this was fun, much better than Crystal, and no cringy swinging in the jungle/vine scenes and most importantly Indy wasn't relegated to second fiddle and remained the star and focus. I felt they were respectful of the character (unlike some other franchises) and overall was very fun. I plan to see it again with my father later.

For a lot of people like me, I think it's because we don't want all of the characters deconstructed. That's the thing these days. They want to deconstruct everything. I want you to leave them alone and just tell compelling stories about them. It's why I dislike most of the superhero movies these days. These are not the characters from the comics. These are heroes-in-name-only. Indy doesn't need to be a tired, old man and a sidekick in his own movie. That's no longer Indiana Jones. That's not anything I want to see.

I was going to say the same...I think franchise fatigue is finally setting in. The normies are burned out while the longtime fanbase is not only burned out but fractured.

I'll also add I wonder if VFX fatigue is setting in as well. 10-15 years of tent-pole superhero and sci-fi movies and I think audiences have gotten understandably weary. That's part of why Top Gun: Maverick was such a huge success. Actual planes with the actors riding in them? It was such a refreshing change to all the green screen overindulgence. Avatar 2 was a massive success of course but I think that was a bit of a different beast as it was a long-awaited sequel from a renowned director and the VFX work is part of its identity. The opposite would be said about the Indy series. Practical action is a huge part of the charm of those movies which gets lost when you render things digitally.

By 1969, there was a concentrated effort to preserve and in some cases fly WW2 German airplanes that weren't common after the war. A two-engine bomber restored to flying condition in apparent wartime configuration would have drawn a lot of interest by that timeframe. If nothing else, the producers of "Battle of Britain" would have heard about and tried to buy/rent the thing for their movie (as they did essentially everywhere in Europe at the time) and that's not even taking random airplane fans into account.

Two months ago I took my family to the theater for the first time since February 2020 / Covid-19 pandemic. We saw The Super Mario Brothers movie and had a good time. But it still hits the wallet HARD.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back