Is that alien in Mos Eisley supposed to be a Jedi because with a few exceptions he/she is literally wearing the same thing as Kenobi?

Is that alien in Mos Eisley supposed to be a Jedi because with a few exceptions he/she is literally wearing the same thing as Kenobi?

That's why I think the obi and surcoat are the Jedi specific garb. No one else wears them on Tatooine. And in the PT all the Jedi wear them unless they are aliens and they are wearing clothing specific to their species.

I always thought of it more like Jedi wore a very basic style of clothing more than they wore what might be considered a uniform. The garb they wear in the relation to clothing in the Star Wars universe may be considered very conservative and inexpensive. Even something like Anakin's leather tabards might still be considered simple. Other jedi of other species might appear to wear more flashy clothing but it might be in relation to what is considered simple/conservative/low key in relation to their own species. Like Aayla Securra. Although her jedi warm might look stylish, it might be quite tame in comparison to what is considered stylish in Twilik society.

Take a look at people of simple means like Lars, a farmer and young Anakin, a slave, even Shimi and other people on Mos Espa and Mos Eisley. That clothing could easily pass for something a Jedi might wear.

I mean it's true that the Jedi don't wear uniforms per se because every Jedi character has his or her own style but there are basic pieces to their outfits that share similarities. Whether it's the palette, the materials, or the cut there is no mistaking a Jedi character from a non Force user.

I'm actually in the process of crafting a Ben Kenobi costume for my own collection and while I adore the Prequels Jedi ensembles, man do I love the Ben Kenobi that much more!

I mean it's true that the Jedi don't wear uniforms per se because every Jedi character has his or her own style but there are basic pieces to their outfits that share similarities. Whether it's the palette, the materials, or the cut there is no mistaking a Jedi character from a non Force user.

I'm actually in the process of crafting a Ben Kenobi costume for my own collection and while I adore the Prequels Jedi ensembles, man do I love the Ben Kenobi that much more!

Not really. The only real tell for Jedi during the Republic was that their condition of their clothing kept up. If you take any other non-jedi person I mentioned earlier, gave them a new condition version of that outfit, and then gave them a belt with jedi gear and lightsaber, it would easily pass as a jedi. Or take any of those people in the worn out clothing, hang a lightsaber off their belt, and you could totally pass them off as jedi who survived the purge a few years earlier.

I remember George Lucas saying at some point that the Jedi garb is meant to blend in with that of most civilizations throughout the galaxy. So, in essence, the tunic and cloak is meant to be akin to jeans, a t-shirt, and a zip-hoodie. I never felt this was that well shown in the the PT, but TCW showed it really well. Pretty much any time a Jedi went into the Coruscant underworld, they could blend in with ease.

I remember George Lucas saying at some point that the Jedi garb is meant to blend in with that of most civilizations throughout the galaxy. So, in essence, the tunic and cloak is meant to be akin to jeans, a t-shirt, and a zip-hoodie. I never felt this was that well shown in the the PT, but TCW showed it really well. Pretty much any time a Jedi went into the Coruscant underworld, they could blend in with ease.

A poncho with optional hood seems to be the go to Jedi blending in clothing. :lol:

Do you remember at all when that was? I've ranted at length that between ROTJ and TPM he forgot that he'd told Mark during fitting sessions -- on camera -- that the black of his outfit in that film was "more Jedi like". I figured back in the OT that Ben was wearing Tatooine clothing, along with everything else. More recently, I like the notion that he recycled his sash and sleeveless kimono, just hitting them with a color remover. It made sense to me at the ti e that if Luke were presenting himself as a Jedi Knight -- especially without his lightsaber -- he would deliberately dress in a manner recognizably Jedi. As for individual style...? Not a fan. There were elements taken from both European and East-Asian monastic groups, and one thing I can point to with most of them, from Shinto to Buddhist to Trappist to Franciscan to Benedictine, is that they had uniforms -- even if only in broad strokes.

So the Jedi outfit I'm working on has black foundation layer, off-black silk tussah sleeveless kimono and sash (full-length, rather than cut off as they did for Mark's to facilitate wirework), and brown cloak.

More on the previous subject later. In the movie theater for the Endgame fan event now. Starts in twenty minutes.

I always thought of it more like Jedi wore a very basic style of clothing more than they wore what might be considered a uniform. The garb they wear in the relation to clothing in the Star Wars universe may be considered very conservative and inexpensive. Even something like Anakin's leather tabards might still be considered simple. Other jedi of other species might appear to wear more flashy clothing but it might be in relation to what is considered simple/conservative/low key in relation to their own species. Like Aayla Securra. Although her jedi warm might look stylish, it might be quite tame in comparison to what is considered stylish in Twilik society.

Take a look at people of simple means like Lars, a farmer and young Anakin, a slave, even Shimi and other people on Mos Espa and Mos Eisley. That clothing could easily pass for something a Jedi might wear.

Matt Martin seems to suggest this. Obi-Wan Plot Hole from A New Hope Debunked by Lucasfilm Story Group

Do you remember at all when that was? I've ranted at length that between ROTJ and TPM he forgot that he'd told Mark during fitting sessions -- on camera -- that the black of his outfit in that film was "more Jedi like". I figured back in the OT that Ben was wearing Tatooine clothing, along with everything else. More recently, I like the notion that he recycled his sash and sleeveless kimono, just hitting them with a color remover. It made sense to me at the ti e that if Luke were presenting himself as a Jedi Knight -- especially without his lightsaber -- he would deliberately dress in a manner recognizably Jedi. As for individual style...? Not a fan. There were elements taken from both European and East-Asian monastic groups, and one thing I can point to with most of them, from Shinto to Buddhist to Trappist to Franciscan to Benedictine, is that they had uniforms -- even if only in broad strokes.

So the Jedi outfit I'm working on has black foundation layer, off-black silk tussah sleeveless kimono and sash (full-length, rather than cut off as they did for Mark's to facilitate wirework), and brown cloak.

More on the previous subject later. In the movie theater for the Endgame fan event now. Starts in twenty minutes.

I remember a long time ago... don’t ask me where... Lucas said the black costume Luke wears is a call back to the old westerns. In the last act of a western movie (or maybe he was talking a serial) the hero would show up to the last gunfight wearing black to convey he meant business.

Rewinding a bit, I guess I could mention my experience with the Special Editions (sorry, y'all, I wasn't born in time to catch the OT :p):

I was 12 and hooked from the first - and it's been enough years that my memory is fuzzy on which film this happened on, ESB or ROTJ, but - so when it was time to go to one of the next screenings, Mom discovered that the passenger side door on her Chevy Blazer wouldn't latch closed. I told her, "I'm not missing the movie, I'll just hold the door shut!" and dangit, I did hold that door shut all the way on the highway to the next city. :lol: Anything for Star Wars!

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize the conversation moved on in a totally different direction - brain still fried from work, my bad.

Last edited:
I never took Luke's ROTJ costume to be THE Jedi costume. I think it was black in order to make a comparison with Vader. So Luke is all in black then loses his hand and it shows the audience that Luke could easily follow that path.

I don't know if it was anything official or from the EU, but I thought it was said that the Jedi's robes were supposed to be similar to what average people wore to make them closer to the people.

Also there isn't any one outfit, besides the robe, that is a Jedi outfit. They wear different things. Aayla's outfit is nothing like what you would call a Jedi outfit.

I don’t buy it... lucas’ idea of what a Jedi originally looked like has changed so freak’n much it’s insane..

Obi wan on Tatooine in 1977 dressed like a desert hobo, NOT a Jedi

Him and uncle Owen look like they shop at the same JC penny

Even the damn Jawas are in cloaks.. all to protect ones self from the desert sand

Lucas mentions Luke’s RoTJ costume resembles what the Jedi originally wore..

“This costume is more Jedi-like”

I don’t think at this time he made up his mind

Even in the prequels we see black samurai costumes for qui gon and Obi wan

Somewhere they changed their mind that the Jedi dressed like Obi wan in 1977 with the large cloak

I don’t believe any of this “it was planned from the beginning”

Look at how much inconsistency’s there are

DONT get me going with Luke and Leia always being brother and sister... no freak’n way

I think the story team doesn’t need to explain everything with a in universe explanation..

All they needed to say was

“Dude they didn’t think that ahead...”

IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_9157.jpg

RoTJ Luke concept

IMG_9158.jpg

And fun fact for the night

Do you know Darth Maul never had horns? In the concept art he was wearing a crown, which sculptors thought were horns! Lol they sculpted the horns and Lucas liked that design better

Lol

IMG_9161.jpg

I remember a long time ago... don’t ask me where... Lucas said the black costume Luke wears is a call back to the old westerns. In the last act of a western movie (or maybe he was talking a serial) the hero would show up to the last gunfight wearing black to convey he meant business.

I don’t buy it... lucas’ idea of what a Jedi originally looked like has changed so freak’n much it’s insane..

Obi wan on Tatooine in 1977 dressed like a desert hobo, NOT a Jedi

Him and uncle Owen look like they shop at the same JC penny

Even the damn Jawas are in cloaks.. all to protect ones self from the desert sand

Lucas mentions Luke’s RoTJ costume resembles what the Jedi originally wore..

“This costume is more Jedi-like”

I don’t think at this time he made up his mind

Even in the prequels we see black samurai costumes for qui gon and Obi wan

Somewhere they changed their mind that the Jedi dressed like Obi wan in 1977 with the large cloak

I don’t believe any of this “it was planned from the beginning”

Look at how much inconsistency’s there are

DONT get me going with Luke and Leia always being brother and sister... no freak’n way

I think the story team doesn’t need to explain everything with a in universe explanation..

All they needed to say was

“Dude they didn’t think that ahead...”

I'm pretty sure that George is referring to the addition of an obi and surcoat, and not the color. When he says it's more Jedi like. Those two articles of clothing are only seen worn by Jedi, nobody else wears them.

MARK HAMILL: You haven't seen my new costume yet. It's all black. I told George it's very Vaderish, but he said, "It's supposed to be".

- Bantha Tracks #18, November 1982

I'm pretty sure that George is referring to the addition of an obi and surcoat, and not the color. When he says it's more Jedi like. Those two articles of clothing are only seen worn by Jedi, nobody else wears them.

MARK HAMILL: You haven't seen my new costume yet. It's all black. I told George it's very Vaderish, but he said, "It's supposed to be".

IMG_9162.gif

You know I love you when I reply with a gif ;)

I think it was PT era or later, around the time the Obi-Wan and Owen Lars costume similarities were being brought up. Not sure if it was the same time period as the article Joek3rr posted:

Never heard that one before, but Lucas changes his mind so damn much it wouldn't surprise me. The Vader connection was always the reasoning I heard for the black costume on RotJ.
I never took Luke's ROTJ costume to be THE Jedi costume. I think it was black in order to make a comparison with Vader. So Luke is all in black then loses his hand and it shows the audience that Luke could easily follow that path.

I don't know if it was anything official or from the EU, but I thought it was said that the Jedi's robes were supposed to be similar to what average people wore to make them closer to the people.
That's what I always heard too. But like I said, I feel like the PT did a VERY poor job depicting this, and it became one of those things that TCW had to end up fixing.

Rewinding a bit, I guess I could mention my experience with the Special Editions (sorry, y'all, I wasn't born in time to catch the OT :p):

I was 12 and hooked from the first - and it's been enough years that my memory is fuzzy on which film this happened on, ESB or ROTJ, but - so when it was time to go to one of the next screenings, Mom discovered that the passenger side door on her Chevy Blazer wouldn't latch closed. I told her, "I'm not missing the movie, I'll just hold the door shut!" and dangit, I did hold that door shut all the way on the highway to the next city. [emoji38] Anything for Star Wars!

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize the conversation moved on in a totally different direction - brain still fried from work, my bad.
I can remember when I was 8 years old with my parents and sister in my dad's 1973 Oldsmobile Omega with Paul Simon's "Slip Slidin' Away" on the radio on the way to see Star Wars. It wasn't called A New Hope at the time. Paul Simon later married Carrie Fisher. That song still brings back fond memories of that evening and will always be linked to Star Wars in my mind.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back