Miss Lovett Costume?

sparrowed

I need a Miss Lovett costume...As accurate as possible. Can anyone help me out with suggestions/photos/links?

....I want to make some meat pies for the Holidays! :love

Thanks!!

I need a Miss Lovett costume...As accurate as possible. Can anyone help me out with suggestions/photos/links?

....I want to make some meat pies for the Holidays! :love

Thanks!!

Are you looking to BUY or MAKE?

If you want to sew your own, try Truly Victorian Patterns. The owner, Heather, makes the easiest Victorian patterns available...she also has a forum with TONS of info. There might even be some Mrs. Lovett threads over there, too. If I'm not mistaken, they (the movie's costume designer) used one of Heather's patterns for one of Mrs Lovett's skirt.

dani

Are you looking to BUY or MAKE?

If you want to sew your own, try Truly Victorian Patterns. The owner, Heather, makes the easiest Victorian patterns available...she also has a forum with TONS of info. There might even be some Mrs. Lovett threads over there, too. If I'm not mistaken, they (the movie's costume designer) used one of Heather's patterns for one of Mrs Lovett's skirt.

dani

Oh Thank you Dani! I'm not a great seamstress, but I can sew.
I may be attending a Victorian Fair towards the Holidays, and I want to go as Mrs. Lovett!
Thank you so much. I will check out the patterns!:)

This was what i made for a client of mine. The pattern on the skirt is not exactly but it's close.

311511106_o.jpg
311510931_o.jpg
311511262_o.jpg

I wouldn't serge the edges of the skirt ruffles. They didn't use sergers back then. I never use them. I used lace trim to bind the edges.

The corset I used steel bones.

Wow! Those are gorgeous! Very nice, indeed! Thank you for sharing those with me :) ! I was thinking of going to the Dickens Fair in SF this year. I wanted to wear a MRS. Lovett costume. I have a sewing machine, but tend (I know this sounds ridiculous) prefer "hand sewing" . I'm not sure where to even begin on something like this.
Perhaps I should buy some individual pieces to start, and rework them?

Thank you! Personally if you don't want to go for exact, I'd say the skirt and corset are the most important. The skirt is easy to make, but takes lots of time bc of all the gathering. I used over 5 yds of near 60" fabric to make it, so lots of gathering.

For the corset, you can find reasonably priced waist cinchers on ebay, without the front busk opening, the get some furry trim and hand sew it to the top edge.

the top get a button front raglan sleeve top in white eyelet cotton and dye it to the color you want and add on all the trims. :)

Back