My AMT 1/32 TIE Fighter: Lucasfilm Archives Version

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Many years ago I saw the original filming models for Star Wars and the thing that made the biggest impression on me was the rough shape they were in. Parts broken off, long gone, cracked and chipped paint and dusty.

Like meeting a celebrity and discovering they’re just a person, I was confronted with the realization that these “stars” were merely objects that were plucked from a shelf in a warehouse and put on pedestals, warts and all. And I loved it!

Knowing with great confidence that a trip to the archives is not looming in my future, my goal is to recreate the look of the original filming models in their current state. The weathering and damage is not to suggest that of a space battle but rather the battle of time and the elements sitting on a shelf or stowed in a box for decades and, like all of us, showing age and letting the viewer experience the story.

The kit cockpit was replaced with a scratch built one made from styrene. A faux armature inside was made out of PVC pipe. The kit engines on the rear were replaced with brass tubing and the laser canons were made from brass and aluminum tubing and lead wire. It was Painted with Archive-X Paints. Weathering and dust effects were done with oils. Photos shot on an iPhone13Pro.

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

This is beautiful. I had considered something similar fo my next build, but not as amazing a representation as what youve pulled off.

Amazing work.

Very nice. On the whole blueish vs gray debate, from at least the pics, its just the right amount of blue without being too strong.
Even with the real ones having the blue, I've always leaned more towards the gray, since they look more like that in the films.
This is perfect.
Some people add a tad too much blue.

Very nice. On the whole blueish vs gray debate, from at least the pics, its just the right amount of blue without being too strong.
Even with the real ones having the blue, I've always leaned more towards the gray, since they look more like that in the films.
This is perfect.
Some people add a tad too much blue.
Thanks! It’s actually ILM Stormy Sea so it’s definitely has the blue look in person. The lighting is doing exactly what it’s supposed to be doing and blowing it out just like the real thing. I didn’t have to do any color correction in post.

Great model and I like the thought behind it; as you said; not battle damaged, but "year damaged":cool::cool:(y)(y)
In your pic in front of the fountain, you could be Adam Savage's brother;)

So here's a question. What level of gloss did you use on the solar panels and the body to match the ILM version? It looks like the panels have some shine to them to kicking back some light, but the body is fairly flat. I'm trying to decide how shiny I can make things before it goes wrong and the model starts looking toy-like.

So here's a question. What level of gloss did you use on the solar panels and the body to match the ILM version? It looks like the panels have some shine to them to kicking back some light, but the body is fairly flat. I'm trying to decide how shiny I can make things before it goes wrong and the model starts looking toy-like.
No clear coats were used. I primed the whole thing with Mr. Finishing Spray 1500 Black. It has a great semi-matte/satin finish. The body was painted with ArchiveX paints which have a great flat finish. I masked off the panels when I painted everything else.

IMG_4196.jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4717.jpeg

I use MR Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black all the time for priming, you can also buy it in a jar and thin it 10:1 (Thinner to Primer) and shoot it through the airbrush effortlessly, it also fills in microscopic surface imperfections… awesome product …
Just starting my AMT 1/32 TIE build, great inspiration here… beautifully rendered replica

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back