Oblivion Inspired Office Build

This is starting to look like the desk I have envisioned in my mind!

32793845538_c8ffb7b14c.jpg

32793845528_92f7102f6b.jpg

Ran into a bit of a snag here. I always saw having drawer slides mounted on the side of the drawer, but the curve of the desk won't let that happen. I'll need to swap to an under mount slide. No worries, just a change in direction is all.

46668741871_64e7b1a954.jpg

I am cutting the door and the drawer front today. I'll change out the drawer slides and build the boxes for the drawers next. Then its time for full disassembly and paint!

-Eric

Last edited:
This is again looking awesome and the amount of attention to detail is fantastic. Do you actually make furniture for a living as I have professionally made furniture which isn't as well constructed as this!!! (y)

This is again looking awesome and the amount of attention to detail is fantastic. Do you actually make furniture for a living as I have professionally made furniture which isn't as well constructed as this!!! (y)

Thanks! I have made furniture in the past and do the occasional commission, but mostly I am just a geek like everyone else here. :)

All, the trim pieces are now cut. I do think I may end up redoing the drawer fronts though. Trying to fit them in with spacers and they both appear to be an 1/8" to narrow. Not a big deal, but will need the drawers installed to be sure. I'll cut those next and figure that out.

Once done, then it will be time to disassemble and paint.

45803545875_8d59763b49.jpg

31777407647_9d2103f1e0.jpg

-Eric

This is such a cool build! i always loved the style that appartment thing had,

Agreed! I went through some other ideas and that was one of the few that didn't look like it was from a movie. I can see a place like that built today.

Sorry for the late reply. Any opportunity to do some different part lines for the door? If you don't, it still looks great!
I took a quick stab at some different part lines.

Attachments

• Partlines.jpg
    Partlines.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 157
Sorry for the late reply. Any opportunity to do some different part lines for the door? If you don't, it still looks great!
I took a quick stab at some different part lines.

I played with this a bit. The door is for a computer tower so it needs to be as wide as possible.

You’re second two designs is what I wanted, but the room has an angled ceiling which would cause the door to hit the ceiling when it opened.I looked at having the seem line up with a break in the trim too.

I eventually got frustrated with all the choices and just made a decision. The panels that don’t move are glued in so I am committed now!

Do you use anything special to prime the mdf?

I wanted to make a sliding barn door for a personal project and was thinking about doing a painted mdf.

What color are you going with for the table? and is that a R5D4 I see in the background? :)

Do you use anything special to prime the mdf?

I wanted to make a sliding barn door for a personal project and was thinking about doing a painted mdf.

What color are you going with for the table? and is that a R5D4 I see in the background? :)

For large projects, I use lacquer; thinned and sprayed in a gun. For smaller pieces I use Shellac from an aerosol can. Both work, but thinning, spraying, and cleaning isn’t worth the hassle for small projects.

The desk will be white, black and grey.

R5 is another project I’ll get back to when this project is complete.

As Sean said!
I have a new house to start building with and have secured one room free of my lovely wife's influence. An armory/prop room to be specific.
Your build has got me thinking!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful craftsmanship :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back