Interest Quantum Leap Calculator Handlink by Replica Props, Cosplay Lights and Sound, SP Productions, and Halocat

Any updates on this prop?
Thanks
If you want to watch me embarrass myself, I talked on the Quantum Leap Podcast show-and-tell for about 30 minutes :oops::cool:. I showed off the Gummy Bear Handlinks, the upcoming Wristlink, and previewed the Calculator which now has the correct blinking code in place.

My segment is from 40:15:00 to 1:08:30:

If you want to skip to just the Calculator part and see the new blinking mode, it's at 52:30:

And I don't think I mentioned it, but in addition to the 10 preset text messages, you will be able to set your own messages using bluetooth on your phone.

If you want to watch me embarrass myself, I talked on the Quantum Leap Podcast show-and-tell for about 30 minutes :oops::cool:. I showed off the Gummy Bear Handlinks, the upcoming Wristlink, and previewed the Calculator which now has the correct blinking code in place.

My segment is from 40:15:00 to 1:08:30:

If you want to skip to just the Calculator part and see the new blinking mode, it's at 52:30:

And I don't think I mentioned it, but in addition to the 10 preset text messages, you will be able to set your own messages using bluetooth on your phone.
That is INCREDIBLE!
Thank you for sharing the Youtube video.
I can't wait to receive mine.
Morgan, thank you for all the hard work you've put in and thanks to the owner of the original for their generosity with reference, I'm guessing that was MasterJedi322.

That is INCREDIBLE!
Thank you for sharing the Youtube video.
I can't wait to receive mine.
Morgan, thank you for all the hard work you've put in and thanks to the owner of the original for their generosity with reference, I'm guessing that was MasterJedi322.
Aye we have to give much thanks to MasterJedi322 who has been super generous with his time.

As for where we are exactly on the Calculator, I am designing the 3rd revision of the main circuit board. I had to make a lot of changes to perfectly fit the enclosure and also because a part we use extensively is no longer available anywhere on earth except for 1500% markup. So that's taking some time. All the functionality has been tested independently, including changing the text with a cell phone, the blinking, the sounds, the touchpads, and hitting it, but getting all the code together into 1 solid program will take some time.

Plus I have to come up with the easter egg mode. I have some ideas. AND I am also going to put a mode where you can change the text using a remote control. Why? Because maybe someday the bluetooth won't work or the app will disappear and I don't want people stuck, unable to change it.

Really enjoyed the podcast and the 'behind the scenes' updates on the calculator. I've got one of the gummy handlinks and it has pride of place in my collection. Easter egg mode is fantastic - can't wait to see what you come up with - and I think the remote control idea is a good one. I have a ton of old apps that no longer function with hardware because they stopped being updated.

It always made me sad that there wasn't a documentary about the various Handlinks. Only took me 30 years but here we go:

At some point I'll do a shorter followup video about the Evil Handlink(s) and a couple more details about the different LEDs in the Calculator vs. the Gummy Bear that I forgot to include. AND we need to include the Future Boy handlink!

Last edited:
It always made me sad that there wasn't a documentary about the various Handlinks. Only took me 30 years but here we go:

At some point I'll do a shorter followup video about the Evil Handlink(s) and a couple more details about the different LEDs in the Calculator vs. the Gummy Bear that I forgot to include.
Oh boy!
I saw this video on my Youtube feed when I woke up this morning and wanted say you did a great job charting the scenes featuring the various Handlinks, thank you.
I can't wait to receive my Calculator Handlink.

I have a quick question.Will there be a mode where we can just have the lights constantly cycle through a pattern without them going out completely and starting the loop up again as they are in the current mode? Similar to how the Gummy handlink just constantly cycles through pattern?I realise this may not be 100% accurate to the prop but as an optional extra mode it would look cool to just have the lights constantly loop in a pattern without having to all completely shut off and start the loop again.

Excellent work as ever.

Oh boy!
I saw this video on my Youtube feed when I woke up this morning and wanted say you did a great job charting the scenes featuring the various Handlinks, thank you.
I can't wait to receive my Calculator Handlink.

I have a quick question.Will there be a mode where we can just have the lights constantly cycle through a pattern without them going out completely and starting the loop up again as they are in the current mode? Similar to how the Gummy handlink just constantly cycles through pattern?I realise this may not be 100% accurate to the prop but as an optional extra mode it would look cool to just have the lights constantly loop in a pattern without having to all completely shut off and start the loop again.

Excellent work as ever.
Glad you liked the video!

The most common blinking mode was short blinks 2-4 times and then long blinks 2-4 times. BUT I have also seen the LEDs blinking randomly more like the gummy bear, so I will support both behaviors, as well as ALL ON and likely 2-3 other modes based on studying the videos (I made a video of all the times the calculator v2 appears) and our access to the real prop. Note that the short/long blinks with long intervals was likely to save battery power as the screen-used LEDs were very old tech and rather inefficient for the light produced. We're hoping to order a 3rd and possibly final revision of the PCB in the next 2 weeks.

At some point I'll do a shorter followup video about the Evil Handlink(s) and a couple more details about the different LEDs in the Calculator vs. the Gummy Bear that I forgot to include. AND we need to include the Future Boy handlink!
Great video, Morgan! And thanks for the shoutout!

Sean

Great video made me pull out my gummi!

Looking forward to the wristlink and other links.

How is the recharge stand coming along for the wrist and gummi link?
So I'm leaning towards the recharge stand being exclusively for the Wristlink to ensure proper charging alignment and because a dock that would hold both the Wristlink and Handlink would be pretty huge. And because we went with deeply recessed microUSB port on the Handlink, it's hard to make a dock that would perfectly line up every handlink we've ever made. Just what we're pondering at this point. It might change.

I keep forgetting to post photos here. Did a few test cuts of the calculator frame and panels. Had a different shape on the face and back plates thenI fixed the error and cut the frame. Soon Ill have everything recut to align.
307753618_941055860179285_965896912645411422_n.jpg

307729720_941055336846004_2821493957878758227_n.jpg

307714214_941056323512572_2271580947230246540_n.jpg

I think there will be good overlap between fans of the Gummy Bear and fans of the Calculator, so I think I really need to have all unique easter eggs. I'm hoping I can do something with the screen too. Right now we're chasing a power drain issue.
Fantastic, I can't wait I'm sure it will be as great a replica as the Gummy Handlink.

Could I ask what brand and model of LED light bars you're using for the Calculator Handlink?
Thank you

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back