Limited Run Red TROS Version Floating Jedi Training Remote Limited Edition

Hey guys, I wanted to pick your brains on something. This was purely just an idea as I'm always trying to improve these things where I can.
On the screen used prop, the "laser" areas are a mess. The two half moons have a red groove between them going vertically. But horizontally it's just very sloppily painted around the "horseshoe" shaped pieces. Most people (my self included originally) think or assume that they are both grooves, vertically and horizontally. I really think the builder of this prop was trying to convey some kind of cross-hairs or targeting looking thing.
So my thought was to possibly alter my 3D models to slightly idealize this area by making the horizontal stripe an actual groove like the vertical one. It's a very slight change and yes it is technically slightly less accurate to the PROP but I really think it looks much better and is closer in line with what the intended look and design was if this were a real in-universe training remote.
Anyway, Here are a few pictures to explain what I mean

Screen used prop
Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 12.04 PM.PNG

My current version. I use vinyl instead of hand painting because it just looks so much cleaner. there's a vinyl ring under all of the pieces so that you get the red ring and vertical groove. Then I have two additional smaller red vinyl pieces that go horizontally on top of the half moons. then the horse shoes and wheels are applied on top of that.
IMG_8090.jpgScreen Shot 09-16-18 at 12.05 PM.PNG

And here's a test print of what I'm thinking about. Here I'd make an actual groove going horizontally.
IMG_8091.JPGIMG_8093.JPGIMG_8089.jpg

Again this is purely just an idea that I wanted to run past you guys to see if anyone would prefer a cleaner looking idealized version or the one with the "painted" horizontal that is a bit closer to the real prop but looks worse (in my opinion). There are some added benefits to this option other than just the slightly cleaner look. It would also make it much easier to get 100% even and symmetrical alignment on all of these pieces, which is very difficult when you're dealing with these tiny parts on a curved sphere.
Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there to see what anyone thought.
Do you love it? hate it? Don't care? would you drop out of the list if I did it? etc. Please give me your feedback.

Can you highlight the specific areas you're tweaking? I'm not seeing much difference between that 3d render/print and your current version.

Can you highlight the specific areas you're tweaking? I'm not seeing much difference between that 3d render/print and your current version.

Sure. what I mean is I'm thinking of turning the horizontal painted section into a groove so that it matches the vertical groove and looks cleaner, which would also help with alignment

Here's the prop compared to my current version. the only difference is I use red vinyl instead of paint. The horizontal bar is ON TOP of the half moons.
Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 01.00 PM.PNG

and what I'm proposing is to cut the horizontal bar out of the half moon so that it's a groove like the vertical bar.
Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 01.02 PM.PNG

The difference in appearance is literally just the horizontal red section between these two pics. Current version on the left, proposed version on the right. on the left there's only a vertical groove and the horizontal is "painted" on top of the half moons. On the right, they're both gooves. The real prop is like the one on the left but very sloppily painted.
IMG_8090.jpgIMG_8089.jpg

I think the additional grooves are groovy. Only thing is the horseshoes will sit lower. Will that change the look that much? I dunno.

It's technically less accurate, but It's one of those things where most people (if they were to even notice or think about it) would assume they're both grooves.
Since this is already an idealized prop to an extent (vinyl instead of paint. symmetrical exact 3D printed parts with better alignment instead of sloppily glued on model parts) I just thought it might add a bit more to the "manufactured" look of an idealized prop.

I think the additional grooves are groovy. Only thing is the horseshoes will sit lower. Will that change the look that much? I dunno.

The horse shoe doesn’t sit lower. It’s still attached at the same place. Here’s a half and half pic where the left is the current version and the right is the groove. Also keep in mind this is zoomed way in and the real thing is about 5 mm wide. The thickness of the half moon is .5mm
b458a4fbcf88829ba524bb28c27fafe1.jpg

e6b8d1da3a394c28d4f2acd8eb3dcc82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back