RPF New Look Feedback Thread

We could try to play with it a bit more, but the problem becomes inevitably that as we change it so that you can see it, others will begin complaining that they can't.

What we did is test these on an LCD and CRT and make sure that it can be seen on both (LCD's tend to be brighter and more contrasty) and then go from there.

I can tell a difference, but it does blend into the "Light Background/Dark Text" style a bit. Maybe if were a bit darker of a purple?

I've noticed that some bits of text/numbers, page numbers, and thread titles have shifted to such a dark purple that it's almost unreadable. Is this a new type of setting or some kind of glitch?

I don't see this at all. You might want to look into the possibility of changing your monitor's color profile, or contact one of the guys who did a greasemonkey script for (un)fixing the width issue; they might be able to do something with a color override.

Check a different browser on your machine, as well.

Re: New Look

Alan, what you are seeing a fixed width design where the content is forced into a specific size (usually to accommodate 1024X768 resolutions).
It is too wide for me.

You are incorrectly assuming that all users are:
1. Not using any cell phone, netbook, pad or other device, that doesn't have 1024×768 resolution or higher.
2. Maximizing their browser windows. This is something that I never do. I often have two browser windows side by side on a 1980×1200 monitor, or several windows somewhat overlapping. When I visit this forum, I often open one window for each thread that I want to read. Then I read them and close them off. When I need to refer to a thread, post or another member in a new post, I often keep one window for writing the post itself and a couple of other windows where I do my searches.

The primary reason for fixed width is that it is very easy to design for as opposed to variable width layouts which look different on everyone's monitor.
I have always said that a fixed width layout is the mark of a lazy web designer ...

I use the Star Wars theme and I am a Star Wars fan, but the fact that the theme I use is a Star Wars theme is not why I use it. I use it because it is sleek and the white on black, grey fields and blue links is easy on my eyes. I could not care less if the logo on the top of the page disappeared. But yes, it could be improved on a lot in the style department, and it is much better than the PhpBB theme.

BTW, btw, about the icons: Screen Used Prop is to Replica prop as Studio-scale replica model is to general model... ehrm, no.
Not that I would look at the icons anyway.

Re: New Look

It is too wide for me.

You are incorrectly assuming that all users are:

Not ALL, just the vast majority. With the extreme diversity of platforms and personal preferences, it is virtually impossible to create something that will work for every combination, so one has to shoot for a design that works for the vast majority, realizing there will always be a few outliers.

I don't see this at all. You might want to look into the possibility of changing your monitor's color profile, or contact one of the guys who did a greasemonkey script for (un)fixing the width issue; they might be able to do something with a color override.

If someone wants this done, take a screen shot and circle the text you want a different color, changing it via a Greasemonkey script is easy enough, I re-underlined and tweaked the colors on all my links already...

I really liked the old logo. More about props and building. Not a huge fan of the new logo and icons (the icons seem too detailed, they should be simplified) but there not terrible, just not my style.

FB

One more suggestion for the Work-Friendly theme: Some sort of text decoration for links. Currently they look like just regular text.

I'd browsed right by some links in a thread and didn't realize it until somebody'd referenced the link.

Thanks for considering. :)

One more suggestion for the Work-Friendly theme: Some sort of text decoration for links. Currently they look like just regular text.

I'd browsed right by some links in a thread and didn't realize it until somebody'd referenced the link.

Thanks for considering. :)

Going to work on this today as a couple of people are having issues with the links on the Work-Friendly theme.

I'm pretty psyched about the new theme. Thanks for bringing the JY back. The logo's kinda plain, but I don't particularly care about it.

I'd like to throw in my lot with the Star Wars guys, though. I would like an option for that same, warm colored friendly banner up top. I don't think it's offensive - honestly, I sincerely doubt that anyone would stop using the site because there's a theme for us Star Wars fans.

One other tiny nitpick, in the name of professionalism... on the toolbar at the top, which lists the progression through the folders, as such:

the RPF > COMMUNITY > Questions and Suggestions > RPF New Look Feedback Thread

Can we change the RPF to The RPF? It's always really bothered me when people don't capitalize things in emails due to laziness, and this, though not in the same vein, smacks of unprofessionalism, at least to me. Can we capitalize that "t"?

I'd like to throw in my lot with the Star Wars guys, though. I would like an option for that same, warm colored friendly banner up top. I don't think it's offensive - honestly, I sincerely doubt that anyone would stop using the site because there's a theme for us Star Wars fans.

Check out the drop-down on the bottom left of your screen, it's there! :thumbsup

One other tiny nitpick, in the name of professionalism... on the toolbar at the top, which lists the progression through the folders, as such:

Can we change the RPF to The RPF? It's always really bothered me when people don't capitalize things in emails due to laziness, and this, though not in the same vein, smacks of unprofessionalism, at least to me. Can we capitalize that "t"?

Based on the logo, I would bet the lower case "t" is intentional.

...the blue stock buttons really do have the sore thumb thing happening...I'd be happy to make a set up for you, if you'd like.

Well, the lack of response implies lack of interest, but I went ahead and made them up anyway. :cool

http://www.crowsnestforums.com/trax/RPF_Dark_Skin_Buttons.zip

Nothing fancy, just a slight color change to the existing button set. Using the vB PSD set, of course. But they should make your dark theme as "complete" looking as the light theme is.

Use em if you like, I mean, you can't beat the price. ;)

This was done purposefully to match the logo which has "the" in all lowercase.

Due to its monochromatic nature, we have added text-decoration back to the Work-Friendly theme. Guess this is going to have to fall under function over style because it just took that theme back about 10 years. :unsure

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back