Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I’d rate Star Trek Discovery as an entire show at its very best as a 5 out of 10.

However. I would rate Anson Mount as Pike as a 10 out of 10. Every moment he is on screen is perfection! He embodies that character so perfectly! I’d rather have a spin-off with him than a section 31 show

Why the FUDGE am I still watching this stupid show?

PERFECT EXAMPLE - Latest episode - Control/Nanobot trying to stab Ms Crying Lame in the eye with a needle syringe thing. Literally has it 1/2 cm from her eye before he gets knocked off. Then, mere minutes later a stream of nanites are coming toward her all swarm style to infect her.

We've established that this AI is apparently smarter than all get out and can see all possible outcomes, even said that exact thing IIRC. Could it have just dripped out of the stupid syringe or something?

GOD... this doofy show gives me a headache.

As well as the obvious nod to TOS, with Pike in the mobility chair, I’m sure there was a tiny one when Dr Hugh got to treat a crew person (gender not presumed) for a ‘hang nail’. Now if memory serves, Dr McCoy was once recalled to the Enterprise for a medical emergency and I’m sure he says it’s ‘probably for a hang nail’. Only me? Anyone else?

Hey Gang! I'm not a streamer, and I certainly won't pay CBS for something they could just as easily broadcast on... CBS.

I don't want to read through this thread for fear of spoilers in case I decide to purchase the Season One Blu-ray set, but I would simply love to hear your Yes/No/Maybe thoughts on if it's worth:

1. The $34.99 Blu-ray box set

or

2. The $9.99 DVD box set

or

3. Don't waste any money on it and wait to see it on H&I or MeTV in 10-20 years?

I suspect most folks would suggest spending the cash on something else. I've been popping into this thread on and off since the show was announced. I don't remember a single positive comment being made since production shots came out, and certainly none since it started airing.

If you're not such a die hard trek fan that you're COMPELLED to watch, then skip it.

Hey Gang! I'm not a streamer, and I certainly won't pay CBS for something they could just as easily broadcast on... CBS.

I don't want to read through this thread for fear of spoilers in case I decide to purchase the Season One Blu-ray set, but I would simply love to hear your Yes/No/Maybe thoughts on if it's worth:

or

2. The $9.99 DVD box set

or

3. Don't waste any money on it and wait to see it on H&I or MeTV in 10-20 years?

The handfull here that keep posting how much they dislike it after the latest episode ends (or offers a thumbs up to negative post) every week will be more than happy to help.

or

2. The $9.99 DVD box set

or

As with all things, only you can be the judge of what you like.

I recommend spending the $9.99 on the DVD set and go from there.

I have made my feelings quite clear regarding this show—speaking only for myself. I recommend deciding for yourself.

As Nacho Libre says: “I am the gatekeeper of my own destiny and I will have my glory days in the hot sun.”

Cheers!

Why the FUDGE am I still watching this stupid show?

PERFECT EXAMPLE - Latest episode - Control/Nanobot trying to stab Ms Crying Lame in the eye with a needle syringe thing. Literally has it 1/2 cm from her eye before he gets knocked off. Then, mere minutes later a stream of nanites are coming toward her all swarm style to infect her.

We've established that this AI is apparently smarter than all get out and can see all possible outcomes, even said that exact thing IIRC. Could it have just dripped out of the stupid syringe or something?

GOD... this doofy show gives me a headache.

Ya- I was really hoping for more intelligent writing. Especially for such short seasons with a highly focused story.

But we get exactly what you just described. We get a terminator that has super abilities that doesn't use them until AFTER explaining it's motives (all he needed was a 1920's twirly moustache). The PHASER bullets can't stop it (at what point is this thing actually a PHASER?) pew pew pew, but Burnham can keep him from stabbing her in the eye somehow. Swarmy nano tech seems to be super duper fast, but then slow when required for pointless dramatic effect.

And this time stuff is really getting irritating. Everything is either time can be changed, or it CAN'T be changed, or there's only 1 way to do it out of 13 billion possible outcomes. Sorry, I'm starting to confuse this series with Doctor Who, the MCU, and Terminator.

******, I want to want to like this show, but I don't know what the hell they're doing here.

And BY GOD, is Pike and Saru so irrationally patient with Burnham and Tilly. "I'm not suggesting, I'm asserting!" Just answer your Captain's ******* question without interjecting your pointless opinions! And Tilly... I'm just going to babble one and on during critical moments. Just answer the ******* question and move the dialogue and story along.

Yeah, this last episode added so much depth to a character I never expected to like as much as I do. I really enjoyed how they handled it. I certainly did not see them pulling it off the way they have with Pike.

After a shave and a haircut.
IMG_20190409_094902.jpg

This is interesting...

I actually like this story idea:

Just watched the youtube vid; it does bring up some interesting possibilities. It also makes me more interested in watching ST:Ent (I have yet to see the entire series). It would definitely help my enjoyment if I felt there was an actual plan to make STD line up better with the established Trek continuity. It still wouldn't completely change my opinion of some of the writing choices made thus far - for example, I'd like to go one episode without Burnham getting teary eyed. It's not like I'm against tears or emotional situations, mind you, it just loses its impact when we see it too much, particularly from just one character.

I realized I have an opportunity to say something positive. I love Anson Mount's Pike, and I think his hair is fabulous.

100% agree. He makes a great Pike. He does a little sideways smirk that reminds me of Hunter's Pike.

I'd love to have hair like that.

I'd love to have hair.

:(

I even like klingon guy's hair when it isn't in a man bun.

The ladies on the show, however, have TERRIBLE hair.

(now let's talk about nails, fellath. ;) )

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back