Star Trek: TMP Director’s Cut 4K

Yeah, some director’s cuts are just done as an empty and cheap marketing ploy, while others are legitimate cases where directors and their visions got screwed over due to time/hardships/executive meddling.

I first saw BLADE RUNNER in high school, during the late 90s, when it was fully undergoing its rediscovery as a beloved cult film. Knowing that we’d be watching the 1991 Director’s Cut in class, the next day, I actually went and rented the VHS of the theatrical cut (well, the 1982 International Cut, to be precise) so I could watch that, first, and then have a basis for comparison. The next day, after we watched the 1991 cut, I was explaining the differences to my classmates. And, of course, that one-two punch of seeing both cuts within 24 hours (my first viewings of the film, ever) made me fall in love with the film.

I should also note that I missed the theatrical screenings of the Final Cut, back in 2007, and had been kicking myself for 14 years until I finally got to see it (a projection of the 4K Blu-Ray) in a theater, last summer. And it was an amazing experience. Stunningly beautiful.

In the case of TMP, I came to know the SLV best, having grown up with it on VHS. Aside from one TV airing, it really wasn’t until the 2009 Blu-Ray that I became particularly familiar with the 1979 cut.

At the end of the day, the film—in all of its iterations—has most definitely grown on me, over the years. But it’s still highly flawed and compromised. Some things it gets incredibly right, and others incredibly wrong. Yes, it’s a knockoff of “The Changeling”. Yes, it’s a 90-minute TV pilot script that got hastily reworked into a two-hour theatrical feature. Yes, it’s boring. Yes, the characters are off-puttingly out-of-character (which is partly the point of the story, I suppose, but it doesn’t exactly make for the most satisfying watch as a fan of TOS). Yes, it takes itself a bit too seriously.

Yet, it also has that throughline of thoughtful, intelligent, optimistic science-fiction that is at the very core of STAR TREK. And, more importantly, it was an honest attempt to bring STAR TREK back in a big, serious, and respectful way, without reinventing the wheel or tearing down the characters just to replace them with younger knockoffs. The film ends with everyone back in their happy place, and the Enterprise ready for a new adventure, which is just how it should be. Whatever version appeals most to a particular viewer, that is the consistent element.

Compared to today’s glut of awful, dumb, and disrespectful reboots and remakes, TMP is a masterpiece, and we never knew how lucky we had it. As with many people, THE WRATH OF KHAN is still my favorite, and the best TREK film overall, but TMP gets unfairly maligned, I think. It actually seems to slowly be undergoing a sort of BLADE RUNNER-esque reappraisal, which is nice to see.
I'm willing to bet that glut of awful, dumb, and disrespectful reboots is the reason why TMP is getting a reappraisal. Call me crazy but I believe STV is going to get a similar appreciation. Mind you I'm not saying it's going to be thought of as good, but compared to what we've had for the past decade, that movie feels like a breath of fresh air.

I first saw TMP in its original theatrical release, on any number of screens, any number of times. I was disappointed at the time with the length of the V’Ger approach sequences, and I fell asleep more than once. I was frustrated by the pipe stand visible when the Enterprise leaves dry dock, the heavy matte lines around the Klingon ships, the jittery split screen compositing in the bridge probe scene, and the lack of anything visible out the rec deck windows during the Decker/Ilia scene.

But by then I’d read about the production problems (probably in Starlog), and I was pretty forgiving. I’m sure I saw the theatrical cut at least 10 or 15 times in theaters before it ever hit VHS. TMP was a huge event in fandom at the time, and I was already in the habit of watching films exhaustively in theaters. I’d pay the early matinee price and just stay through every showing. My mother dragged me out of Superman once after 11 PM, but that’s another story.

I love all the TOS films now, except for STV, but even that one has its moments. The scene where McCoy has to unplug his father is wrenching to watch. Kirk angrily refusing to be relieved of his pain is fantastic. The whole Sybok plot, not so much. Nor Scotty banging his head, nor Uhura’s cringe-inducing fan dance, nor…

I find it utterly baffling that the current 4K version of the theatrical cut removes the pipe stand error in the drydock sequence. Save the fixes for the Director’s Edition, not an otherwise-faithful transfer of the original version. I hope the upcoming 4K set restores the error, but I doubt it will.

Of course, TMP’s troubled history may actually be more interesting that the film itself. If you haven’t already, I heartily recommend checking out the book RETURN TO TOMORROW: THE FILMING OF STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE, which clocks in around 700 pages, and is an exhaustive look at the film via vintage interviews with cast and crew. Amazing book.

And I have a soft spot for ST V, despite its considerable problems. I consider it a “noble failure”, rather than all of the malicious failures we’re getting, now. A wacky romp with old friends, rather than the painfully unwatchable disaster that so many have declared it to be. I’ll take it any day over the Abrams movies, or even most of the TNG movies.

And that scene in the observation lounge with McCoy reliving his father’s death and Kirk refusing to share his pain puts the lie to the notion that Shatner is a bad director. It’s a great scene. While I wouldn’t go so far as to exclaim, “Release The Shatner Cut!”, it should be noted that a bad combination of circumstances led to the film becoming what it is (the Writers’ Guild strike, ILM being unavailable, and the studio insisting on the inclusion of lots of comedy, because the previous film had been so successful due to its humor and lighter tone). I often wonder what would have happened if ILM had been free, and Shatner had been allowed to make the serious, thoughtful film that he’d set out to direct.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that glut of awful, dumb, and disrespectful reboots is the reason why TMP is getting a reappraisal. Call me crazy but I believe STV is going to get a similar appreciation. Mind you I'm not saying it's going to be thought of as good, but compared to what we've had for the past decade, that movie feels like a breath of fresh air.

Sometimes you need a negative to understand the nature of a positive. It can always be worse.

I've always had a soft spot for STV as well. I certainly recognize its flaws and would never argue it's not the worst of the TOS films, but I appreciate what they were going for despite the lack of execution. Honestly, I can always find enjoyment simply in the performances of the original crew whatever the quality of the story is

Thanks for the recommendation on the book! I'll be checking that out.

I find it utterly baffling that the current 4K version of the theatrical cut removes the pipe stand error in the drydock sequence. Save the fixes for the Director’s Edition, not an otherwise-faithful transfer of the original version. I hope the upcoming 4K set restores the error, but I doubt it will.

Of course, TMP’s troubled history may actually be more interesting that the film itself. If you haven’t already, I heartily recommend checking out the book RETURN TO TOMORROW: THE FILMING OF STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE, which clocks in around 700 pages, and is an exhaustive look at the film via vintage interviews with cast and crew. Amazing book.

And I have a soft spot for ST V, despite its considerable problems. I consider it a “noble failure”, rather than all of the malicious failures we’re getting, now. A wacky romp with old friends, rather than the painfully unwatchable disaster that so many have declared it to be. I’ll take it any day over the Abrams movies, or even most of the TNG movies.

And that scene in the observation lounge with McCoy reliving his father’s death and Kirk refusing to share his pain puts the lie to the notion that Shatner is a bad director. It’s a great scene. While I wouldn’t go so far as to exclaim, “Release The Shatner Cut!”, it should be noted that a bad combination of circumstances led to the film becoming what it is (the Writers’ Guild strike, ILM being unavailable, and the studio insisting on the inclusion of lots of comedy, because the previous film had been so successful due to its humor and lighter tone). I often wonder what would have happened if ILM had been free, and Shatner had been allowed to make the serious, thoughtful film that he’d set out to direct.
I don’t have a problem with the pipe stand removal from the theatrical cut—in fact I’m grateful for it, as it no longer takes me out of the film the way it always did before, and the way the 4K edition of WoK still does, since it’s not fixed there (incidentally, the Director’s Edition of WoK is also terrible).

I do like STV, and Drinker has a pretty good précis of the production problems in one of his Production Hell videos. Yeah, Shatner got screwed, I think that much is pretty clear—partly by Paramount, partly by circumstances.

I don’t have a problem with the pipe stand removal from the theatrical cut—in fact I’m grateful for it, as it no longer takes me out of the film the way it always did before, and the way the 4K edition of WoK still does, since it’s not fixed there (incidentally, the Director’s Edition of WoK is also terrible).

I do like STV, and Drinker has a pretty good précis of the production problems in one of his Production Hell videos. Yeah, Shatner got screwed, I think that much is pretty clear—partly by Paramount, partly by circumstances.

I only want the pipe stand error back in because this 4K release should be a preservation of the film as it was in theaters, without revisionism. Although I thought I read somewhere awhile back that the 4K uses the theatrical version of the shot, with an extra matte layer that removed the stand. But, this caused additional generational loss, so they used the pipe stand version of the shot for the home video releases, to allow for better image quality. That doesn’t quite track, though. I think it’s more likely a bad digital fix.

Yeah, the theatrical cut of TWOK is the superior version, which is why I’m annoyed that the Fathom Events 40th anniversary screenings in September will be the Director’s Edition, just as it was for the 2017 screenings.

While I appreciate a few bits of the DE, the extra scenes and alternate takes are full of dubious line readings which detract from the movie. The theatrical cut is essentially a perfect movie from start to finish. Peter Preston’s relation to Scotty is a nice detail, but in no way essential to the plot.

At the end of the day, I stand by the theatrical cuts of all six TOS films. While I think the TMP DE is a smoother and more satisfying experience, the theatrical cut is still my go-to. And there’s no question with TWOK—theatrical all the way. And the added scenes in ST VI are interesting, but not essential.

I've always had a soft spot for STV as well. I certainly recognize its flaws and would never argue it's not the worst of the TOS films, but I appreciate what they were going for despite the lack of execution. Honestly, I can always find enjoyment simply in the performances of the original crew whatever the quality of the story is

Thanks for the recommendation on the book! I'll be checking that out.

I must confess that I still prefer to watch Trek V over Trek IV.

Of all the TOS films, it is “that one with the whales” that now appears as the most “dated” with a horrible soundtrack, flat cinematography, and really not all that intriguing of a story to tell.

82F42E94-573A-4B87-BFC3-C610D4C21BBD.jpeg

I must confess that I still prefer to watch Trek V over Trek IV.

Of all the TOS films, it is “that one with the whales” that now appears as the most “dated” with a horrible soundtrack, flat cinematography, and really not all that intriguing of a story to tell.

…and yet, bafflingly, it received Oscar nominations for Best Cinematography and Best Original Score.

Intellectually, I know that IV is a good film, and that it was the biggest hit of the original cycle of films. Yet, I, too, don’t find that much rewatch value in it. The first three movies are my go-tos, probably because they feel the most like the TV series. I enjoy them all to varying degrees, and even their flaws are charming.

…and yet, bafflingly, it received Oscar nominations for Best Cinematography and Best Original Score.

Intellectually, I know that IV is a good film, and that it was the biggest hit of the original cycle of films. Yet, I, too, don’t find that much rewatch value in it. The first three movies are my go-tos, probably because they feel the most like the TV series. I enjoy them all to varying degrees, and even their flaws are charming.
After Trek III the undersized budgets, against higher and higher actor salaries, really started having an impact.

By the time you get to Trek VI, they were simply reusing the sets from Star Trek: TNG…even the Federation President’s Office was nothing more than “10 Forward” with curtains. The actors carried the franchise more than anything else.

After Trek III the undersized budgets, against higher and higher actor salaries, really started having an impact.

By the time you get to Trek VI, they were simply reusing the sets from Star Trek: TNG…even the Federation President’s Office was nothing more than “10 Forward” with curtains. The actors carried the franchise more than anything else.

Yeah, after TMP’s budget went out of control, the pennies were definitely pinched, especially as the actors’ prices went up and up. That being said, creativity thrives on restrictions, and TWOK is perhaps one of the all-time great examples of making ingenious use of resources to tell a great story with a greatly-reduced budget.

I also love the fact that history repeated itself: Cerebral, monochrome first pilot/TMP was rejected, and led to a retooled, more action-oriented second pilot/TWOK, which was accepted.

And even TNG wasn’t spending that much. 10 Forward was shockingly tiny. It’s all shot with wide lenses.

I’d like to thank you gents for this great little discussion. Even when we respectfully disagree on things, it’s still fun to discuss and debate, because it all comes from a place for love of the material and respect for each other. Rock on.

This is what fandom SHOULD be—and used to be—all about, and it’s also what has been burned away in the wake of the corporatization and politicization of nerd culture. Thanks, Abrams and Kurtzman!

I’d like to thank you gents for this great little discussion. Even when we respectfully disagree on things, it’s still fun to discuss and debate, because it all comes from a place for love of the material and respect for each other. Rock on.

This is what fandom SHOULD be—and used to be—all about, and it’s also what has been burned away in the wake of the corporatization and politicization of nerd culture. Thanks, Abrams and Kurtzman!
Agreed whoelheartedly!

On the topic of TMP: I like How the discussion between McCoy and Kirk went in the Theatrical cut better than in the subsequent "director's edition": McCoy sounded more convinced in the original of what he was said when he confronted Kirk in the theatrical than in the DE .

Tried to find vids on youtube to show this, but failed miserably. :(

I was just checking to see when this is coming out, Sept 6th, and found there is a standalone copy of the 4k 'Director's Edition' coming out, not just the 'The Collection' edition with all films.

I was just checking to see when this is coming out, Sept 6th, and found there is a standalone copy of the 4k 'Director's Edition' coming out, not just the 'The Collection' edition with all films.
There are two ways to get the Director’s Edition, depending on how much you want to pay:

0D6D6F8F-393D-4ED8-9B29-BF523B63091F.jpeg

Star Trek I: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition Amazon.com: Star Trek I: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition : William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Majel Barrett, George Takei: Movies & TV

61F40B85-EACC-4907-BBA2-AD6F17ACE645.jpeg

Star Trek I: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition Complete Adventure https://a.co/d/7kS6sKq

Last edited:
The deleted scenes are said to include the bit where Decker and the Ilia-probe are touring Engineering ("He--they--are in Engineering, Sir."), and Scotty voices his desire to throw the probe into a waste unit. Looking forward to it.

It's a great remaster and recut. My only nit is I wish they either fixed or removed that infamous bridge shot using split-focus that looks horrible in any version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back