Deprecated Star Wars Ep VIII: Poe's & Finn's Blaster kit for airsoft

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
*UPDATE: THE RUN IS NOW GO*

This is a wraparound shell of the Episode 8 updated Glie 44 blaster used by Poe and Finn,made to fit around a Sig Sauer P226 Airsoft or replica. (Will no doubt work with other Sig Sauer models as well but I haven't tried. I used a KJW all-metal P226 which is one of the more common clones available.) The kit was done so that you can mod the airsoft to retain trigger functionality and is hollow with translucent parts to wire it up just like the screen prop shown by John Boyega on Twitter. If you'r'e real savvy, you might be able to retain shooting functionality on some airsofts but that was never my intent with this.

The kit includes:

• Main shell halves
  • Muzzle
  • Mid Barrel
  • Rear cylinder (has a removable twist-lock cap so that you can change batteries if needed)
  • Screw heads (loose)
  • Blue transluscent inserts for lighting as shown in Boyega's Twitter video!

Notes and build tips: My prints are done at 100 microns, slowly, which makes them MUCH smoother than the average printed kit and they do NOT need finishing with "XTC resin" but I DO recommend using spray filler-primer instead of regular primer. Since this must be printed flat, it will have a little more visible print-pattern than usual in my kits but I have modeled the details to handle a good amount of primer. Simply give it a few good coats and sand as needed. I recommend plexiglass glue or epoxy to assemble plastic-to-plastic, superglue or 2-part epoxy for painted surfaces and epoxy putty (green stuff) to fix the shell tight to the Sig Sauer, even though there IS a weaver guide modeled into the interior. The parts will have support materials that need to be removed with small pliers and a hobby knife.

For a more detailed look at the build, check this thread:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=280580

Screen prop as shown by Boyega on Twitter:

Ep8blaster_3.JPG

Vanity Fair image showing the blasters:
poefinn.jpg

Final kit photos (airsoft is not included of course)
G44_8_3.jpg

G44_8_2.jpg

G44_8_6.jpg

Cost is $225 per kit +$15 worldwide shipping.
Wait time is currently 3-6 weeks to make, in order of payment. If you're in a rush for an event, PM and I'll see what I can do.

PM if you want one.

Thanks!

Attachments

• glie44.png
    glie44.png
    710.8 KB · Views: 344
  • poe_primered.jpg
    poe_primered.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 593
  • test_print.jpg
    test_print.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 214
  • poe_wip2.JPG
    poe_wip2.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 203
  • finn_ep8renderWIP.JPG
    finn_ep8renderWIP.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
John Boyega just posted an images of the updated version of this blaster used in Episode 8. I will be updating my pattern as soon as I can (interest level in the kit will determine how quickly it gets done).

I'm interested for sure once you have the viii done! Will you be making the sections for lighting open? Any idea how you'll handle all of that?

I'm interested for sure once you have the viii done! Will you be making the sections for lighting open? Any idea how you'll handle all of that?

The shells are already hollow, so yes I will be cutting out the lighted sections. I'll also do blue translucent backing pieces to cover the holes (this might drive the price up a few $).

Interested for sure

I am interested!

Noted! This shouldn't be too far off. I'm sneaking in work on it between editing a couple other things. There aren't that many changes I need to do, but I HAVE discovered a few more differences. They made quite a few subtle changes for Ep 8. The inset lighted areas are different, the from power block no longer has the mesh-like texture and the curved surface that ran along the side of the gun is now angles 90 degrees, among other things! Luckily, some of these changes will make the shell easier to make and assemble, thus keeping costs down.

Just letting you all know that I have not abandoned this. Just been so busy with other stuff that I haven't had time to work on the model.

I will be doing a test print of this soon. (I am however, out of blue plastic at the moment so I'll be doing the transparent test print in some other clear color.) After that I will be ready to start collecting orders and order clear blue for the inserts.

I haven't been able to do a test print of this yet because the more I tweak this model, the more things I discover that have changed. At first glance it may look almost the same, but almost every single detail and measurement has been changed on the Episode 8 version of this in one way or another, so I've basically had to redo the whole thing.

Since I'm super-busy at the moment and this kit is taking more time that I had anticipated, I have to prioritize a little so I'm not losing a lot of time needlessly, making other projects suffer. So for those that are expressing interest going forward, please try to honestly indicate how likely it is that you will actually get in on one of these once I have the pattern finished and test-printed. (Are you just casually interested for the future or do you REALLY want one asap?) It would really help a lot. I might be able to start taking orders as early as some time next week.

Thanks! : )

I haven't been able to do a test print of this yet because the more I tweak this model, the more things I discover that have changed. At first glance it may look almost the same, but almost every single detail and measurement has been changed on the Episode 8 version of this in one way or another, so I've basically had to redo the whole thing.

Since I'm super-busy at the moment and this kit is taking more time that I had anticipated, I have to prioritize a little so I'm not losing a lot of time needlessly, making other projects suffer. So for those that are expressing interest going forward, please try to honestly indicate how likely it is that you will actually get in on one of these once I have the pattern finished and test-printed. (Are you just casually interested for the future or do you REALLY want one asap?) It would really help a lot. I might be able to start taking orders as early as some time next week.

Thanks! : )

I just bought a P226 airsoft to use with your kit, so I am pretty committed to buying one. I don't need it right away if you are busy with other stuff, but I want one when you can get around to making the kits.
Thanks!

Terry

I am interested i getting this kit from you
How would i go about doing so?

I'll let you know as soon as they are ready.

Small update time:
I've test printed some parts for fit and it's looking good. Need to finalize the barrels and some details. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to assemble without leaving any seam lines. It's a little difficult because I want to be able to assemble the different parts after they have been painted and I'm trying to find a way to let the center barrel piece (which is slightly set into the gun body) be inserted through the muzzle and there's precious little space!

Almost... there.

finn_ep8renderWIP.JPG

(Note: still TBD if I will print the screw heads or not. I was planning to do them loose/separate but only if they turn out nice.)

This run is ON. Will be contacting those who previously expressed interest soon, but they are made in order of payment.

New publicity shots seem to have Poe sporting his copy of this blaster openly. Maybe it'll get some action this time around!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back