Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

No...

but I'm embarrassed to say that, as a young man, once I heard Carrie Fisher say that George told her there was no underwear in space, I would watch all her 'action' scenes on my VCR in SLO-MO.

I'm even MORE embarrassed to admit that I KNOW for an absolute FACT that, you can get a MUCH smother result running the 4K remaster through a Sony 4K player with the upscaling adjusted on a 72' Panasonic OLED TV.
I went to a flea market last weekend with my wife and they had this 5ft by 7ft board of Leia sprawled out below Jabba in the infamous bikini and as we approached, my wife goes..."keep walking" lol...i about died

Mike and Rich like it

Interesting if true... My tastes align pretty well with Mike's... Probably why I love them. Confirmation bias!

I want to go hooooome.

Editing preschool crap is sucking the life out of me.

Well not so much today since I've barely touched the Avid...

Talking obi is more fun.

No...

but I'm embarrassed to say that, as a young man, once I heard Carrie Fisher say that George told her there was no underwear in space, I would watch all her 'action' scenes on my VCR in SLO-MO.

I'm even MORE embarrassed to admit that I KNOW for an absolute FACT that, you can get a MUCH smother result running the 4K remaster through a Sony 4K player with the upscaling adjusted on a 72' Panasonic OLED TV.
I wouldn't be embarrassed to say that, I would be proud. I have no regrets.

But who's the final arbiter of what constitutes a bad idea though? In a creative medium like film and TV what is or isn't a bad idea is subjective and while die hard fans might consider some things a bad idea, casual fans might not thing that it's a bad idea.
agreed, but i think he's speaking in general...making a comparison(bad ideas are bad ideas no matter who comes up with them) but to both of your points, it is subjective...to a point. To me, a bad idea would be equivalent to lets say...forgetting that Leia never met Kenobi until ANH and yet having them meet prior in a series is a bad idea. If we are going to say mistakes are subjective and everything is subjective and there is no standard then i guess i can call the moon earth and someone else can call it the sun and therefore no one has a say and nothing is valid. Whether we like it or not, there is a standard. I like Mark Hamill' interview where he compared the fact the live action Transformers movies made so much money doesn't mean they were good. He is absolutely right with his comparison. No one is going to compare Transformers with Gone with the wind or Saving private Ryan based on which movie was better. The only thing i see that is subjective is that we like what we like...but i can admit there were bad ideas in movies i liked overall as well as movies i've despised overall like TLJ that i found some good ideas in it...even if i had to split hairs under a microscope...lol

1655418016314.png

I think all critique is valid... I don't think where the blame is directed is...

For example, I loved the first episode of Obi... Disney shouldn't get praise for that... They just paid the cheques...

However in that same episode I saw some real hack filming and editing with the chase scenes... is THAT Disney's fault? no... that's some bad choices by the director and editor... I wouldn't even blame the writer... he just wrote "Leia runs through the forest, evading her would be captors, jumping over and scurrying under trees her larger pursuers couldn't follow"

maybe in boards it worked... but when that little girl couldn't move like the board panels may have wanted, you lose the wide shots - don't let the audience see where the bad guys are compared to her...

There's a horribly directed scene in Vader vs. Obi where we see Vader's POV... looking at Ben, who turns and runs screen right. We then cut to Vaders face... and then cut back to a background that looks almost identical to the last shot - which looks like it would be Vader's POV again... where Ben runs out from screen right...

I was like "did he forget something?"... then realized it's a different location.

That's BAD direction and editing...

All these are valid critiques... but I would never say "I wish GEORGE hadn't sold to Disney... they just shovel out garbage!"

Cuz as I said above, George was not above shoveling out garbage.

Critique the shows, just don't pretend it's Disney's fault and Lucasfilm woulda made gold under George.
Disney is responsible for everything it puts out as is the individual "talent" behind all that is released. Corporations/Studios are indeed responsible for the decisions and work of their employees. No one is pretending that Lucas would've been "gold" or perfect had he not sold but based on the OT and PT he would've likely done better than what we're getting from Disney.

Last edited:
Disney is responsible for everything it puts out as is the individual "talent" behind all that is released. Corporations/Studios are indeed responsible for the decisions and work of their employees. No one is pretending that Lucas would've been "gold" or perfect had he not sold but based on the OT and PT he would've likely done better than what we're getting from Disney.

I'm only saying it about the people who literally are pretending Lucas would've made gold if not sold...

And there is almost nothing worthwhile in the PT other than Obiwan and the content for the Auralnauts to play with.

I've rewatched many times hoping to one day see it differently and it's all just so painful.

Disney makes me shake my head, but it doesn't cause the hemorrhaging the PT does.

I'm only saying it about the people who literally are pretending Lucas would've made gold if not sold...

And there is almost nothing worthwhile in the PT other than Obiwan and the content for the Auralnauts to play with.

I've rewatched many times hoping to one day see it differently and it's all just so painful.

Disney makes me shake my head, but it doesn't cause the hemorrhaging the PT does.
Lucas would have made gold if not sold not because he's a genius and can't do wrong but because of US...the fans. Because of the succes of the OT and deservedly so, the same idea would apply to him as it does Disney. We gobble up anything Star Wars based on hope that it will be good. He would definitely make gold if not sold but that isn't a guarantee that it would be great. I'm with you on the PT...don't like it

i think i'm seeing what you are trying to say but until Disney produces something as good and impactful as the OT then it makes no sense to imply George wouldn't make gold when he's already proven to have done it. Right?

Last edited:
Lucas would have made gold if not sold not because he's a genius and can't do wrong but because of US...the fans. Because of the succes of the OT and deservedly so, the same idea would apply to him as it does Disney. We gobble up anything Star Wars based on hope that it will be good. He would definitely make gold if not sold but that isn't a guarantee that it would be great. I'm with you on the PT...don't like it

i think i'm seeing what you are trying to say but until Disney produces something as good and impactful as the OT then it makes no sense to imply George wouldn't make gold when he's already proven to have done it. Right?

I think there are people who have one good idea and many... and some need collaborators... some don't...

George is an idea guy, in my opinion, but needs collaborators to bring it to life... When he does it all himself, he does the prequels.

He could have struck gold again, but judging by his work post Star Wars... I dunno.

Spielberg 100% will still hit gold...

Tarantino... Gold...

M Night! GOL- jokes...

I think Gunn has a lot in him...

Favs is good collaborating with others...

But old George? I wish he just teamed up more with Spielberg... He reigned him in.

I think HIS sequel trilogy could have been good if HE collaborated with others like with Empire and Jedi... but if he did it all on his own?

ehhhhhhhh......

I think there are people who have one good idea and many... and some need collaborators... some don't...

George is an idea guy, in my opinion, but needs collaborators to bring it to life... When he does it all himself, he does the prequels.

He could have struck gold again, but judging by his work post Star Wars... I dunno.

Tarantino... Gold...

M Night! GOL- jokes...

But old George? I wish he just teamed up more with Spielberg... He reigned him in.

I think HIS sequel trilogy could have been good if HE collaborated with others like with Empire and Jedi... but if he did it all on his own?

ehhhhhhhh......
I think we are mostly in agreement but when we are talking ownership we are saying "George" or "Disney". Now you are talking within the framework of ownership which is entirely a different discussion. I agree that the Prequels were not even close to the level of the OT. IMO, the ST (Disney owned) was abysmal. I don't entirely put the blame on Disney because it was George's fault for waiting WAY too long and not doing a Sequel Trilogy (if that was a planned thing) that was closer to 1983 where the actors were younger. He didn't do it...sold his baby to Disney. That's on him. To be completely fair, there has been few ideas that have ever piggy backed off the original that ever eclipsed it so it's a monumental task...which is why they should have never done any movies surrounding the OT and Disney should have left the Skywalkers and anything associated with them completely alone...move on. The best that they could do is contaminate it which they succeeded. Honestly, i wish i could change their minds but i can't and i'm sure there are plenty out there that think i'm a dope for saying move on.

Tarantino... Gold...

M Night! GOL- jokes...

ehhhhhhhh......
Lucas is definitely more of an idea guy and that collaboration is where he shined the most. Between the OT and the PT and he seemed to become much more full of himself from the massive success of SW. There really is something to be said for the power of the starving artist to generate amazing content within forced limitations as well. I wish he had recognized the importance of other's input and limitations for the PT, could've been so much better. I wanted Anakin's story to be amazing (and was quite disappointed with it) because it was one of my favorite things to imagine when I was a kid. I remember that feeling sitting in the theater waiting for the TPM to start like it was yesterday. I thought my chest was going to explode from excitement.

Lucas is definitely more of an idea guy and that collaboration is where he shined the most. Between the OT and the PT and he seemed to become much more full of himself from the massive success of SW. There really is something to be said for the power of the starving artist to generate amazing content within forced limitations as well. I wish he had recognized the importance of other's input and limitations for the PT, could've been so much better. I wanted Anakin's story to be amazing (and was quite disappointed with it) because it was one of my favorite things to imagine when I was a kid. I remember that feeling sitting in the theater waiting for the TPM to start like it was yesterday. I thought my chest was going to explode from excitement.
And just imagine if these things were still up for imagination...it would be much better had they left it alone. It reminds me of legos...give me a bunch of legos when I was a kid and I actually had to use creativity and thought to make simple blocks into more complex structures. Now they give you the exact curves and shapes of how " they " want you to see it. What a shame. The OT is a completed story...not 1+1+1 = 3 stories but 1×1×1=1 story that will never be duplicated and it honestly needed no further explanation in my book. The rest should have been left up to imaginations from the fans.

And don't forget the biggest and dumbest of them all: "Hold your fire, there are no life forms. It must have short circuited."
If that can get a pass, everything else can :lol:
Star Wars has had built in plot armor from the word go.

I'm not saying everyone should turn off their brain to enjoy this show (y'all would be happier if you did, but I digress), but goddamn Star Wars has always been stupid.

A farmboy learns space magic from a Muppet in order to defeat his cyborg father. It's all stupid. From a certain point of view, it's some of the dumbest **** ever put to celluloid.

Goddamn Chewbacca does a Tarzan yell in RotJ. TIE fighters scream through vacuum. Stormtroopers ride giant lizards in the desert when motorized transports exist. This list of dumb **** in Star Wars never ends. I really think 90% of the gripes about this show disappear if you're able to unleash your inner 7 year old for an hour.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back