Studio Half Scale TOS Enterprise Scratch build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see there's a couple of new Bandai Enterprise refit kits on Ebay - one in the UK, a couple from one seller in Hong Kong.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread with chat about other kits. :)

I don't make it over here as often as I would like, and as a result, many fantastic threads are missed. I found this one this morning and had to go through it post by post. Great work, Steve!

Well guys it's been along time but in all that time I have made up 10 of these models to date. And I just finished two more to ship out on Monday.

Seems like only yesterday I was pound out the saucer section.

Thanks for all your support!

Steve

Well guys it's been along time but in all that time I have made up 10 of these models to date. And I just finished two more to ship out on Monday.

Seems like only yesterday I was pound out the saucer section.

Thanks for all your support!

Steve

Well, thank you for creating this. I really can't wait to get mine. I'm really psyched about it. Glad you've made sales and have been able to recoup some of your hard work.

Amen
I hope my videos help Steve in some small way.
looking forward to more builds of the BIG E.

Steve thank you for all you have and will do
For use all..

Thanks always
Paul/kahn1701

There's two 1/350 scale kits that I see are in development and due out in 2012 - one by Polar Lights, the other by Round 2 Models.

Would prefer one from you though Steve. ;)

Actually Polar Lights and Round 2 are one company and the same...and they are only developing one 1:350 scale TOS Enterprise. The 1701 club members get first crack at it with some extra parts that afford the option of building the pilot ('s) version or the production version.

PRESS RELEASE | Round 2 Models - AMT models, MPC models and Polar Lights models, including Star Trek kits.

I do agree however, that Steve's version is probably going to be more accurate to what we saw in the TV series. The Round 2 approach is "their interpretation" of what Roddenberry/Jeffries intended the ship to be. :thumbsup

Guys,

I almost hate to revive this subject, but I thought maybe Steve Neill or one of you other guys might be able to shed some light on it...

Over at the Memory Alpha wiki site, there's a nice entry about the Constitution Class Starship models used in all the TOS productions and Next Generation/Enterprise canon. Constitution class model - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

I put up a link to the section specifically about the three-foot model.

We all know the story of how it was lent to someone by Roddenberry. I think Gene had it a total of maybe 5 years before it disappeared.

Anyhow, according to his assistant (and other things(!)), Susan Sackett, the model was lent for reference to a special effects shop that may have been Brick Price's. What was noted in the article was that apparently you can see a TOS Enteprise in the backgrounds of two photos of the build-up of the never-finished Phase II Enterprise model.

Here's one link to a pic --
File:Star Trek Phase II Enterprise studio model ventral view.jpg - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki
Is that the original 3-footer in the background under the pole supporting the PII ship's saucer???

And the other pic --
Another view of the possibly original TOS 3-footer -- look above the saucer of Phase II model
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Star_Trek_Phase_II_Enterprise_studio_model.jpg

Sackett's hypothesis is that the model was stolen from Price's shop by someone -- a worker or visitor.
It certainly does appear possible that it was in that shop at one point in time before it disappeared.

Rumors abound that it still exists to this day as a centerpiece on someone's "coffee table..."

Now back to the build of this crazy-detailed half-scale accurate model!
(Even if I could afford it, where would I find the space???)

I worked for Brick for a while and Im pretty sure thats an AMT kit youre seeing on the desk and its nowhere near 3 feet. I know that desk and if you scale the model to he drawer its about 18 inches.

That is most certainly an AMT 18" model kit (small box version from what I can see in the printed photos of those pictures in my reference books). Besides, the 3 footer was brighter painted than that.

Anyhow, according to his assistant (and other things(!)), Susan Sackett, the model was lent for reference to a special effects shop that may have been Brick Price's.
In my research of the 33 inch Enterprise model I narrowed down the list of places it was loaned to to two possibilities... either Brick Price's WonderWorks or Magicam (which took over model production after WonderWorks). While I don't have any additional information to say which of the two it was (and Susan doesn't specifically recall which), I'm pretty sure that it was loaned to the same place as the original Klingon model that Jefferies gave to the Smithsonian.

The good news (if that is true) is that the Smithsonian would have records of who the Klingon model was sent to and return by. The bad news is the condition the Klingon model was in when it was returned, as it had been broken up into pieces so that molds could be made (most likely how the molds of the studio scale replicas of the Klingon were first made). The Klingon model remained in pieces for years after it was returned. I shudder at the thought that essentially the same treatment was done to the 33 inch Enterprise model.

Of course the biggest problem in attempting to find the 33 inch Enterprise is that many people don't know the features that differentiate that model from the 11 foot model (beyond the size). Because I don't have a better way of making direct comparisons, I put together a set of images comparing my replica of the 33 inch model with some replicas of the 11 foot model (mostly the MR version) in similar arrangements.

Hopefully someday there will be a better replica of the 33 inch model made than mine (it would be great if it was someone with Steve's abilities), but I think my model at least can illustrate the differences in the comparisons above. Plus you could compare drawings of each, like this version (using Casimiro's drawings of the 11 foot model and my drawings of the 33 inch model).

My hope is that someone who knows the difference will spot the original 33 inch model someday (if it is still around).

it took me an hour to read all your work but I congratulate you because the job was monstrous!

So. How about some of your hot shots post some pictures of your builds from my kit? It's been a long time now and there's 9 of them sitting out there some where. Come on!! I'm waiting!!!

LOL! ;)

P1050988.jpg

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back