Studio Scale Base Star

Mycroft Holmes

Okay, this is an interest thread only at this point.

I have been making patterns to kit a SS Base Star from TOS Battlestar Galactica.
I have been contacted by a few members asking about the picts in the SS Ultra Probe thread after seeing the inner panel master in the picts. I have recently been aided by a good friend of mine and he is the final driving force behind this project.
I have spent the last 4+ years researching it. Until a little over a year and a half ago I was able to survey and photograph the real Base Star. Much to my surprise it was still around but in pretty bad shape. I have been blessed by being able to purchase pulls of the outer and inner panels which I used to make fresh patterns from. A friend of mine on the RPF laser cut and vector scribed the panel masters and they have so far turned out great. I have resolved several issues I had and am about 80% done. IDing is about complete with only a few parts left to ID. I will be building the base structure as soon as the tubing and 36" dia disks arrive. At this point I will finalize the fit of the panels and then they will move into molding. At this point I will finalize the trenches and get the final files done for the under laying trench wall supports. The only other issue to resolve is the parts that comprise the top and bottom of the tube that joins the mini together. They were done as one offs using kit parts. These are not moldable as is. I am trying to resolve this with a test of trying to cast it in components. If not, I will have to source the kits needed for each kit and see if this will make the Base Star replica kit over priced.
This is a big project. It is comprised of 10 castings of the outer panel, 10 castings of the inner, 10 of the larger bridges that cross over the outer trenches and 10 of the smaller bridges that join at the tops of the trenches, 10 launch rails that hang off the ends of the trenches, 10 castings of the inner trench floors, 10 castings of the outer trench floors, 10 castings of each of the trench walls for the inner and outer trenches and then there are several small parts that would not be cost effective due to the fact they are sourced from one of the more rare Bandai 1/48 scale kits and you would need 5 of this kit. I have no idea of the price yet. After the first one or two are built I will have a solid cost on time and materials. A comprehensive painting diagram will also come with this kit.

So, I would like to here from all you interested parties. Remember, this is only an interest thread and I will not take pre sales no matter what. When ready I will post picts of the kit and the first build up.

Thanks for the PM's of interest and questions. It helped me focus on a project that means a lot to me. And thanks to friends like James , Will, George , Frank , Moe, Sean, Charles , Don, Jim, Mark, Mike and Jesse. Working with you guys on other projects and the support you have given me on my lengthy projects helped me get to this point.

Take care.

Mark :)

Edited for typos and I forgot a few names

Ahhh. . .this finally sees the light of day. A very exciting project, a long time in the making. The one and only ULTIMATE BaseStar replica. Let's see it finished. :)

Thanks guys. Charles, you know what I have gone through to get this far. I know you can appreciate this.
I have surprised a few people in wanting to do a kit of this. I wasn't going to make a kit in the begining but things have changed. I have spent so much time on this project that letting only a few people have a copy was not doing it or me justice.

Mark

Definitely interested. This is one piece of sci-fi history I never thought I'd have the opportunity to own.

Hopefully I can convince someone to do a build-up for me, because I'd bugger it up for sure.

baltar.gif

" Toys, Adama? "

MARK.. A kit?.. SWEET...

LOLOLOL... You don't ever need to inquire if I would want one. ;)

I AM ABSOLUTELY... VERY INTERESTED..

I have litterally been meaning to call you about this and just haven't yet done so...

...and a funny thing... I have also been speaking to some colleagues recently about you and this project and it eventually being in the collection. Were your ears ringing? LOLOLOL.. it's weird how things occur at times...lololol. ;)

The last time I emailed you it came back to me as undeliverable due to the address not existing any longer. Do you still have the same email address? I will give it another shot. ;) Actually, I will call you sometime next week. And,.. feel free to call me as well. ;)

This is both very exciting and intriguing. I look forward to further discussion if you are game? :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swpropmaker @ Feb 25 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]1426407[/snapback]</div>
Hey Kurt get in line. :)

Steve
[/b]

LOLOLOL... no worries my friend... I would expect to do no less. ;) In line I go. :) This is going to be GREAT...

You guys are too much.
Yeah Kurt, I'm still here. Verizon had some issue up here. We lost phone service as well for three days. They are laying in the digital cables and changing over and deleted my DSL account. Kurt, I think you are one of only a couple people that have seen samples of what I have.
Ringing ears? They never stopped after my cancer treatment. seriously. So I would of never heard you talking about me.
I have had a few personal issues as well. Been a little behind the eight ball and it's not getitng better if you know what I mean. This is where my frined came in and said look, you need to get something to market. You have all these neat projects and you just need to focus on one and then you will see what can happen. So, I have put things a side and started to get this bitch done.
Still a little ways off but it's coming.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mycroft Holmes @ Feb 25 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]1426509[/snapback]</div>
You guys are too much.
Yeah Kurt, I'm still here. Verizon had some issue up here. We lost phone service as well for three days. They are laying in the digital cables and changing over and deleted my DSL account. Kurt, I think you are one of only a couple people that have seen samples of what I have.
Ringing ears? They never stopped after my cancer treatment. seriously. So I would of never heard you talking about me.
I have had a few personal issues as well. Been a little behind the eight ball and it's not getitng better if you know what I mean. This is where my frined came in and said look, you need to get something to market. You have all these neat projects and you just need to focus on one and then you will see what can happen. So, I have put things a side and started to get this bitch done.
Still a little ways off but it's coming.

Mark
[/b]

I completely understand. I have just had a very interesting health issue thrown my way that requires a major lifestyle change...business and personal. I am a bit behind that same eight ball for personal issues. ;)

The reference you showed me has kept my interest immensely. I am very much looking forward to what you may offer regarding it. ;) It is VERY KEWL...

I applaud you for making it available to all. :D I hope others take your cue in offering such a fantastic item. I know there are pleantly of them out there. It just takes the right people (like yourself and a few others I know of) to bring them to the public so the dream can be forwarded. ;) GREAT JOB and THANK YOU Mark.. :D

"Ringing ears? They never stopped after my cancer treatment. seriously. " Mine either.... after a 120mm Mortar detonated about 25m from my Humvee. Bastards almost got me that day. It blew our 50 cal offour truck, over a canal and sunk it 6 ft in the mud. Broke the wrists of the gunner. Ringing in the ears is all I got and still some nights when is real quiet its so loud I cant sleep. I have to listen to a IPOD or something...

Hey can guys in unifrom move to the front of the line? :)

Steve

You probably know this already, I'm sure:

Ringing in the ears is all I got and still some nights when is real quiet its so loud I cant sleep. I have to listen to a IPOD or something...[/b]

BE SURE TO DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN BEFORE AND WHEN YOU RETIRE TO GET THAT DOCUMENTED SO THAT YOU CAN BE SURE THE VA GIVES YOU THE APPROPRIATE SERVICE-CONNECTED DISABILITY RATING. ;)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back