"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Seems Seth seems to be pleased with the response to the episode: Here's the battle clip. Now make me really happy and release the season 2 DVD quickly!!!

Loving the show so far... actually I'm loving it more with each episode. I hope Fox is still going to release this on Blu-ray... bonus points for including isolated score tracks for all episodes (the LaLaLand soundtrack release is so good!)

I read that it wasn't coming to Netflix any time soon, so I just bought the first season on VuDu, just to clear out that space on my DVR. Once season 2 is over I'll probably do the same. All I could find in the store was DVDs.

I read that it wasn't coming to Netflix any time soon, so I just bought the first season on VuDu, just to clear out that space on my DVR. Once season 2 is over I'll probably do the same. All I could find in the store was DVDs.

It's on Hulu and airs the day after it airs on Fox. That's how I watch it.

It's on Hulu and airs the day after it airs on Fox. That's how I watch it.
Same here.
I also got the VUDU season bundle to watch when Hulu starts to roll off the episodes- they only can have so many available for streaming at a given time.

I will eventually get the BluRay set if one becomes available

I was expecting this week to be a bit of a letdown after the last two episodes, but I really liked this episode.

It had a villain who was sympathetic who had a history with one of our regular characters that caused some emotional conflict.

I also wanted to note that I upgraded to a 65” Samsung QLED this past week. My old TV was no slouch...a very high end 60” Sharp Aqquos Quattron...but man, this QLED really brings the heat in this show. I was absolutely blown away by the visuals, particularly the colors of the screens and such on the bridge. Very, very cool.

Another good 'un!

SFX pet peeve: adding "dust on the lens" in CG shots.
Look, I get trying to make CG not look CG. And if it was a shot pretending to be amateur found footage, or a wing camera or something like, that, fine.
But if you were a camera operator in space shooting a real starship flyby for your TV show, you'd CLEAN YOUR FRIGGIN' LENS.

(see also: shakycam, and every damn outer space "snapzoom" shot in nuBSG)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-03-08-04h26m05s895.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-08-04h26m05s895.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Oh, and "40 lashes with a wet noodle", as Ann Landers used to say, to Gordon for watching a cropped version of Planet of the Apes. Although he is the kind of doofus not to notice or care about proper aspect ratio. ;)

I liked this one too. Good to see Gordon get a character building spotlight for a change.
And yes the dirty lens stuff is not necessary / a distraction.

Agreed, it was nice to see finally see a more serious side to Gordon and as more than just the comic relief. I hope that they do more episodes like this with Gordon and showing us his serious side a bit more.

Gordon stepping off the shuttle and getting blown through space!! The fear was tangible, he should get an award for that 20 seconds of acting alone.

geeky science nit:
The explosion of the shuttle would not create a shockwave that would propel him through space. Shockwaves require a medium such as air.
Instead, he would be perforated by numerous pieces of shrapnel. ;)

Glad to see that the Krill are now officially seeking peace. This opens the door to Teleya coming on the ship later hopefully. Then they could have two members of 'hostile' races on their ship. (DS9 had Odo, TNG had Worf, etc) but yeah I fully expect Teleya to board the ship in season finale or near it. Maybe even as an ambassador to the union once peace talks start?

I don’t understand how every episode somehow seems just fantastic.

I’m not even going to lie...the end of this one got to me. I wasn’t crying, you were crying!!!

I’ve read some criticisms here and elsewhere that too many of these stories aren’t having enough continuity...no real connections to an overarching narrative. I’m beginning to think that the overarching narrative are in fact the characters themselves. We’ve seen Gordon constantly failing with women, and talking about how he wants to be successful in love, and then tonight we got to see him be successful...even if it was in an unconventional way and ultimately didn’t work out. That character building over two seasons is what hit me about the way this one ended.

As a side note, I also enjoy how often we get episodes that touch on actual aspects of our lives today. We, as members of this forum, have posted quite a bit of information about ourselves without even really knowing it. If one were to try hard enough, and take the time to analyze posting habits, they’d probably be able to put together a pretty good representation of what we like and dislike when it comes to movies and films. As just a simple example, I post about MCU films a lot, but rarely about DC films. With that information alone one could determine that I’m an MCU fan and not a DCEU fan. Now...if we extrapolate that even more...to say the lengths that Facebook and Amazon do, and one has the ability to put together a pretty impressive “digital” version of us.

Now...take that “digital” version and add in all the pictures and videos we have on phones, the text messages we have, the voicemails and emails, and everything else...and you have a literal living, breathing, digital being that could be recreated with a powerful enough computer.

Basically...all my babbling here is to say that the idea that Gordon was able to simulate Laura so much that he fell in love with her doesn’t REALLY seem all that far off, given how much information we all have floating around out there about ourselves.

I’ll close this post out by saying I’ve always liked Seth MacFarlane. I’m a big fan of his animation and I enjoy the films he’s made. I figured I’d enjoy “The Orville” just because he was involved, but not in a million years did I think it would quickly become one of only three TV shows that I truly care about, and one of only two that I watch immediately instead of letting it sit on the DVR for a few weeks.

Man, I love this show.

So, how does Orville get away with smoking! Yet, Constantine couldn’t? Both are free too air!?

I still laugh every time I watch the movie Cowboys and Aliens with Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. Daniel Craig's character smoked throughout the movie as did a few other of the cowboys. At the end of the movie they had the disclaimer that no cigarettes were smoked during the making of the motion picture like they would do saying no animals were injured during the making of the picture. That is taking PC way too far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back