"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I still laugh every time I watch the movie Cowboys and Aliens with Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. Daniel Craig's character smoked throughout the movie as did a few other of the cowboys. At the end of the movie they had the disclaimer that no cigarettes were smoked during the making of the motion picture like they would do saying no animals were injured during the making of the picture. That is taking PC way too far.

Were they CG cigarettes?

Were they CG cigarettes?

As far as I could tell they were really smoking something but I guess it doesn't count if it does not have tobacco in it. I'm guessing the same thing with the cigarettes they used in this episode.

I thought it was a great episode and was thrilled to see Tim Russ. When I heard his voice I knew I recognized it but couldn't place it.

"Lasting Impressions" could easily have been another "good concept, but poorly executed" episode if Scott Grimes' performance hadn't been so on target. Interesting character growth for Lt. Malloy in this season, showing he's quite a bit more than just a wisecracking buffoon who happens to be a skilled pilot. Based on the writing in the first season, I wouldn't have expected that.

"Lasting Impressions" could easily have been another "good concept, but poorly executed" episode if Scott Grimes' performance hadn't been so on target. Interesting character growth for Lt. Malloy in this season, showing he's quite a bit more than just a wisecracking buffoon who happens to be a skilled pilot. Based on the writing in the first season, I wouldn't have expected that.

Agreed. Grimes went all in on this one, and it paid off.

when bortus became addicted to cigarettes i thought maybe they were going to do an episode on addressing addictions of the 21st century. then gordon got a hold of a cell phone and i was like "oh here we go!" but it didn't end up turning out like that. lol

when bortus became addicted to cigarettes i thought maybe they were going to do an episode on addressing addictions of the 21st century. then gordon got a hold of a cell phone and i was like "oh here we go!" but it didn't end up turning out like that. lol
When Gordon said his dad's name was Greg, I thought it was going down a McFly route and he was going to find out she was a distant grandmother. Glad they didnt though.

Man. The clause in Gordon's contract that gets him episodes must have kicked in.

It was another one "helmed" (*chuckle**chuckle**snort*) by Gordon that was out of this world. It was really good, all around.

So, this was episode 11. And season 1 was 12 episodes long.

Are we only 1 episode out from being done with season 2, or was the first season less than a full run, and the second will clock in a more episodes? I've tried the googles, but I keep finding conflicting info.

So, how does Orville get away with smoking! Yet, Constantine couldn’t? Both are free too air!?

They're aliens :)

They were also portrayed as "bad". Nothing gets a naughty thing approved for wide public viewing like pointing at it and shouting "Shame! SHAME!!"
That said, I don't smoke, and don't suggest anyone else starts :p

So, this was episode 11. And season 1 was 12 episodes long.

Are we only 1 episode out from being done with season 2, or was the first season less than a full run, and the second will clock in a more episodes? I've tried the googles, but I keep finding conflicting info.

I think we have a big gap coming up, then two more episodes to finish the season

The scenes from the next episode said:

“In 3 weeks, with only three episodes left this season, the Orville faces its fiercest challenge yet.”

When Gordon said his dad's name was Greg, I thought it was going down a McFly route and he was going to find out she was a distant grandmother. Glad they didnt though.
I had the same thought, and I'd guess many of us here did too. I'm also glad they didn't go that route because it would have been too much for Malloy to deal with.

I just finished watching the episode. I have to say I thought it was great. It reminded me of the next generation episode where Geordie created the simulation of the engineer that built the Enterprise D. Great to see Tim Russ, another Star Trek alumni, show up in the series. :)

I had the same thought, and I'd guess many of us here did too. I'm also glad they didn't go that route because it would have been too much for Malloy to deal with.

Honestly, with the whole music thing, I thought Malloy was gonna find out she became a popular singer and that it turns out Greg became an abusive ******* after they married and she died from an OD due to how sad she was with her life, which Malloy would feel completely heartbroken about.

Honestly, with the whole music thing, I thought Malloy was gonna find out she became a popular singer and that it turns out Greg became an abusive ******* after they married and she died from an OD due to how sad she was with her life, which Malloy would feel completely heartbroken about.

Of course, there's no way they could get any of that from the source material, so that might be what ultimately happened and we'd never know.

Of course, there's no way they could get any of that from the source material, so that might be what ultimately happened and we'd never know.

Well, we know they have a familiarity with pop culture of the past, which includes music. So, maybe Malloy could have done some searching in the historical media database and found her music, and discover the metadata, it pulled from a greatest hits album (which includes a digital copy of the album info and a short biography, which would have included those details). But then again, they probably wouldn't have had it end in such a dark and downer note anyway.

Last edited:
Well, we know they have a familiarity with pop culture of the past, which includes music. So, maybe Malloy could have done some searching in the historical media database and found her music, and discover the metadata, it pulled from a greatest hits album (which includes a digital copy of the album info and a short biography, which would have included those details). But then again, they probably wouldn't have had it end in such a dark and downer note anyway.

That assumes she ever went on to be anything more than a bar singer. She could have walked out in front of a bus the day after she put her phone in the time capsule.

So, I hate to come into this without reading through the entire thread, but at the risk of bringing up something someone else might have already mentioned ... My wife and I were talking the other night, and she said that this show uses all of the story devices from TNG. I said I didn't think that was quite right, but I had to think for a bit. My resulting list of such things The Orville has not done is pretty short:

1. There is no transporter.

2. There are no captain's log entries or the equivalent.

Any others I might have missed?

It is a very interesting series in that anytime I have a question about how its universe works -- those the show itself has not directly addressed -- I feel comfortable presuming that the answer is probably similar to what it would have been in TNG/DS9/VOY.

SSB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back