Limited Run The Princess Bride Battle of Wits Goblets cast in lead-free pewter

I have a new one printed out, filled and sanded. I've been busy with regular work and other projects but I will make a new mold of this next week now that I have everything on hand. I'll do it without the shortcuts and do it the proper way and hopefully get a good mold this time. I'm not going anywhere and I can't wait to get more of these made.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Its too bad the plaster mold broke. It could have been used as a slip casting mold to create lower cost ceramic versions of the goblet. But then thats holey another line of study and crafting. Personally I like the idea of pewter ones better.

I have a new one printed out, filled and sanded. I've been busy with regular work and other projects but I will make a new mold of this next week now that I have everything on hand. I'll do it without the shortcuts and do it the proper way and hopefully get a good mold this time. I'm not going anywhere and I can't wait to get more of these made.

Any updates? Looking to get these before the 21st for an Anniversary present.

Totally. The update is that the last three weeks I haven't touched it because I was prepping for Maker Faire and in California. This past week I got sidetracked with a kickstarter project I did and am spending the next few days working on it because of the time sensitive nature of it. It's www.holdthedoor.com if you want to see..... Spoilers for Game of Thrones.

My plan is to finish this project up quickly and then dedicate time to the new mold. I've hired help for the kickstarter and hand cut all of the triangles so we're about halfway done the work for that, and since I have help I'll be able to work on the mold too.

The status of the mold is the same as before, I ordered and have received the high-tech rubber, a whole big 11 pound bucket. That's been delivered. Two copies of master are printed and sanded. The next step is building the mold box and attaching vents so the pours go better than they did before. I'm headed out again for two weeks staring June 15th and my goal is to have the mold done and castings poured before then.

Totally. The update is that the last three weeks I haven't touched it because I was prepping for Maker Faire and in California. This past week I got sidetracked with a kickstarter project I did and am spending the next few days working on it because of the time sensitive nature of it. It's www.holdthedoor.com if you want to see..... Spoilers for Game of Thrones.

My plan is to finish this project up quickly and then dedicate time to the new mold. I've hired help for the kickstarter and hand cut all of the triangles so we're about halfway done the work for that, and since I have help I'll be able to work on the mold too.

The status of the mold is the same as before, I ordered and have received the high-tech rubber, a whole big 11 pound bucket. That's been delivered. Two copies of master are printed and sanded. The next step is building the mold box and attaching vents so the pours go better than they did before. I'm headed out again for two weeks staring June 15th and my goal is to have the mold done and castings poured before then.

What? The website is for a charity walk that has been going on for 11 years? Are you telling me that you are going to replace a website for a charity walk that a family does to honor a fallen member with a fake memorial for a fictional GOT character? Please tell me you are not doing that.

The clock is ticking on a PayPal claim. You have everyone's money, that is your priority. Period. Don't go looking for more money or new projects before you finish this one or refund everyone and call it a day.

Sorry, it's holdthedoorstop.com

I'm going to make the goblets.

Just checking for an update here. Would really like to see some progress with this as its a chunk of change to have tied up in a project that keeps getting put off for other pursuits...

Bogged down with doorstops, car issue with a renter l, and getting ready for the 2 week trip I'm leaving Wednesday. I wont be able to make these until July.
26315f0722be4dc645d2b405a51b4a2e.jpg

I'm back from out west and will be pouring rubber on Wednesday

I'm doing this one in three parts to try and avoid the problems I was having on the other attempts.

5b412a21f3bba87755f320d4af238697.jpg
96f6c5f020ff031ef7666b8123f6fc83.jpg
25d6df35372acf9517f2efb477c408de.jpg

second part of three is done. I don't have a finished picture of that one yet but it did demold well, came out great.
IMG_20160707_200748224.jpgIMG_20160707_213742940.jpg

First pull from the new mold! Great surface finish in the area on the base I was concerned about before, and it's much easier to get it out without tearing the mold this time.

3dc09fde6be0f1463eb9dd7cf85cad32.jpg

6cf115c8f9f043c6a95429b32253b45f.jpg

7e5f989a322d559d951215d04aa41e82.jpg

The only problem on this pull is the missing section where air got caught in one of the fins. I have straw tubes inside the mold to allow for venting. I poked some more holes to allow for better venting in this particular area and am casting another one shortly.

Second pull,. Fixed that issue, but I think I poured to cool, and not fast enough. Base didn't come out
406b4fbdc30b202b8b33d9f6d0537582.jpg

I was able to get it together and get the method down. I have two successful cast goblets in addition to that first one I made. So the first set is ready to go. unfortunately, one piece of the mold that had torn that i kept pinning in place finally gave way, so I have to redo one of the 3 pieces to the mold. I've ordered more rubber which should be here tomorrow or thursday, and i'll redo that section of the mold. the problem i was having before was 1, i was squeezing the mold together with the clamps too tightly. this was rectified using electrical tape and rubber bands. The other problem was that the mold wasn't going together all of the way, resulting in a tilted brim, which I've resolved. The last problem was all the little bits of the mold that were wearing out and having to be pinned back into place. the metal is very heavy. it was pulling apart the mold halves. The clamping was causing a lot of leaks too if i squeezed to hard, so it was hard to both squeeze it together to stop the leaks and not squeeze it too much causing leaks. The combo of electrical table and rubber bands to hold it closed, and then a lot of clay to stop leaks seems to work. and just when i got it down, that one part of the mold had enough and i just cant keep pinning it in place. I also lost a small 3x5mm piece, so it's just not worth it anymore and time to redo it.

IMG_20160805_202801.jpg

I still need to clean up the flashing and vents from the one on the left, but whoever was first on the list to pay will get this first set.

IMG_20160809_151801.jpg

The one on the left in the triple pic has it, the other two don't. How do you want your set? You're first
I suggest with patina because the goblets aren't super smooth and shiny, so I feel it matches the style.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back