The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

The review embargo is lifted and FFVII: Rebirth looks to be another home run for Square-Enix with a 40 hour main story and 100+ hours of side content scoring an overall 93% on Meta, beating out FFVII: Reunion which was an 87%. Amazon says my copy shipped yesterday.

Attack of the Fanboy: 5/5
CGMagazine: 10/10
GamingBolt: 10/10
PSX Brazil: 100/100
GGRecon: 5/5
Dexerto: 5/5
Prima Games: 10/10
Noisy Pixel: 10/10
RPG Gamer: 10/10
VGC 5/5
Worth Playing: 9.8/10
Gaming Trend: 95/100
PSU: 9.5/10
Gaming Nexus: 9.5/10
TechRaptor: 9.5/10
RPG Fan: 93/100
IGN: 9/10
GamesRadar+: 4.5/5
RPG Site: 9/10
Saudi Gamer: 9/10
INVEN: 9/10
Spaziogames: 8.9/10
Game Informer: 8.5/10
Eurogamer: 4/5
Shacknews: 8/10

In other happy news, Little Devil Inside returns from the dead with a new trailer and the reveal that the devs disappeared for almost a year updating the game from Unreal 4 to Unreal 5.

It was also just revealed that coming in March, Rise of the Ronin will now also feature 4 player co-op.

Last edited:
Heres a trailer with a tiny little bit of the action from the film.
I also wasn't sure if they were showing it around here, but found out they are....need to see if I can find anyone to go with me. A film like that is fun to watch with someone.

Did you end up going???

I spent all day hacking my switch and dumping games to try on the Yuzu emulator for PC.

Inevitably I will try each of them once or twice and then seldom afterwards.

Did you end up going???
I didn't. Between not feeling so great, really no money, and trying to deal with medical stuff, and hope to at least find a part time job. Just been feeling overwhelmed by it all.
I can always watch it at home.
Although, had I made it, I would have worn this shirt I got at Megacon back in 2007. Still mostly fits, even though I did go up a size.
1000013787.jpg

I didn't. Between not feeling so great, really no money, and trying to deal with medical stuff, and hope to at least find a part time job. Just been feeling overwhelmed by it all.
I can always watch it at home.
Although, had I made it, I would have worn this shirt I got at Megacon back in 2007. Still mostly fits, even though I did go up a size.
View attachment 1792957
If I was close by, I would've gone with you, my treat (y).

Well, I can definitely say out of all the movies I've watched, animated or live, it had the most action I've ever seen. It's so over the top that you eventually get used to it to the point where it starts to seem logical lol. All the out of order flashbacks in the beginning were totally confusing. After that though, the story began to pick up. It has all the hallmarks of a Japanese animated movie: stylized action, philosophical introspection (although not as much as others), a fushion of the spiritual and physical world. At times it doesn't seem to make sense yet still manages to keep you invested in the characters and story. I especially liked the end credits of Cloud riding around on real world roads. I caught the subbed version. I watched a few videos online of random scenes in both languages and the Japanese actors sounded like they had more personality.

I'm kind of kicking myself. As I mentioned before, I've been contemplating skipping PS5 so I didn't even bother preordering Rebirth. I just figured I'd play it when I borrow it from someone. Now, I kind of want my own copy and I see the deluxe editions are sold out.

If I was close by, I would've gone with you, my treat (y).

Well, I can definitely say out of all the movies I've watched, animated or live, it had the most action I've ever seen. It's so over the top that you eventually get used to it to the point where it starts to seem logical lol. All the out of order flashbacks in the beginning were totally confusing. After that though, the story began to pick up. It has all the hallmarks of a Japanese animated movie: stylized action, philosophical introspection (although not as much as others), a fushion of the spiritual and physical world. At times it doesn't seem to make sense yet still manages to keep you invested in the characters and story. I especially liked the end credits of Cloud riding around on real world roads. I caught the subbed version. I watched a few videos online of random scenes in both languages and the Japanese actors sounded like they had more personality.

I'm kind of kicking myself. As I mentioned before, I've been contemplating skipping PS5 so I didn't even bother preordering Rebirth. I just figured I'd play it when I borrow it from someone. Now, I kind of want my own copy and I see the deluxe editions are sold out.
Ah, thanks...
I don't think anyone lives close to me...
You can see what I said about that iver the top crazy action.
Storywise, its a little hard to fully understand, but the game was like that anyways.
There are little things you can notice, possibly on a second viewing. Like, the 3 gray haired guys, (who I totally now forget who they actually were).
In the one battle at the city of the ancients...they add their materia in their arms. At one point, he is shooting, and it glows a color, and he then starts shooting faster. So, he was suppose to have used haste.
Also, Cloud uses a lot of his limit breaks throughout the film.
Speaking of that, the whole wnding battle with Sephiroth, there are some differences between the orginal cut and this complete cut....like Cloud's ending limit break on him.
Possiblely a video on youtube that shows both, but I'd have to look.

Heres the difference between just the limit break. At 22 seconds, it cuts to the complete version.
Not a huge difference, but more shots of Sephiroth looking around and being hit.
I know there were some other parts in the battle that were a little different as well.

So I beat FF Type-0. Here is my long winded review.
Very different type game, and much harder than the normal FF game.
The story finally does pick up, leaving you to want to learn more. Although, by the end, it really leaves so many unanswered questions, you are left feeling a bit empty about it.
They never really explain why or how the main characters are so powerful, where they come from, and other things you really wanted to learn.
I did get the Platinum trophy, but I see, there is still SO much more to do in the game, that it was designed to replay as New Game +, and several times.
Maybe that somehow furthers the story, but not sure. A lot just looks like extra dungeons where the monsters are like level 99, and could only possibly beat on a 2nd/3rd playthrough. Its like a 2nd round of trophies need to be available to get a 2nd Platinum.
I read that the best weapons aren't even available unless you do the 3rd playthrough. Thats pretty crazy. A guide recommended doing the 2nd playthrough on the hardest mode, which is only unlocked after beating it first. I tried the first mission, but even the weakest enemies one hit kill you, no matter your HP and equipment.
I made it to a fight where you automatically summon Odin....which was killed instantly. And the game is quite brutal about getting killed, as there is no checkpoints of any kind...only where you last saved, and some places, there are no save points at all, or very far apart.
Die, and it lets you load the last save, or go to the title screen.
Too stressful for me. I started again on the normal mode, so now I'm one hit killing everything, but, at least I can rush it to get to missions I couldn't do the first playthrough. As of now, I give it a 6 out of 10. If there is more story hidden in the extra stuff, might change, although, not everyone would even give it a 2nd chance.
1000013793.jpg

I thought about trying out Helldivers. I watched some gameplay streams. I don't know, maybe I'm just not into these level up shooters but it didn't really seem that much different to warrant all the hype.

I thought about trying out Helldivers. I watched some gameplay streams. I don't know, maybe I'm just not into these level up shooters but it didn't really seem that much different to warrant all the hype.
It depends on what you are looking for. I like first/third-person shooters with immersive environments and as little plot as necessary, so HD 2 checks off all those boxes up front.

The most intimidating thing about online PvP is starting off getting smoked repeatedly by seasoned OP (teenage) players. But, unlike most multiplayer FPS, Helldivers 2 isn't PvP - it's all cooperative. By making this coop that element is essentially eliminated. Every random group I jumped into was friendly.

The game also allows you to realistically advance through gameplay alone. It doesn't compel you to "pay-to-play" by putting the most desirable gear behind a paywall. The first revival of SW Battlefront by DICE was embarrassingly festooned with subscriptions, perks for cash, random loot and crap that just spoiled the game entirely. HD2 and, hopefully future games like this, have learned the lesson. I'm glad they are being rewarded for this.

It isn't a steep learning curve. The tutorial is quick and you can hop in and play with basic controls.

The only gripe for me is the "Stratagem" system where you can call in supplies, orbital strikes etc. through a sequence of button codes which seems unnecessarily cumbersome to do under stress. I'm sure that's the point, but I don't like it. Thank goodness I'm a PC player so I can fix that with a macro-pad.

Last edited:

It's a lot of fun. If the original Destiny scratched an itch in your psyche, you'll like Helldivers 2. If you played it, and didn't care for it, then Helldivers probably won't be your jam.

It's a lot of fun. If the original Destiny scratched an itch in your psyche, you'll like Helldivers 2. If you played it, and didn't care for it, then Helldivers probably won't be your jam.
It might be cool and all, but it's multiplayer and I absolutely detest online multiplayer games. I looked at it, way back when it was announced and rejected it because it's not a solo game.

Yeah, I wasn't into Destiny and that's what this game seemed to me to be as well. That's why I was a little perplexed as to why it's so popular. Just seems like another variation of a 10 year old type of game. Is there anything beyond surviving a bug assault? Or robot assault? Like Destiny, it looks very repetitive and 'grindy'. I don't know. I must be missing something.

I tried playing Risk of Rain 2. It was okay for a few hours. I haven't touched it since. I imagine I'd do the same with Helldivers. I think these just aren't my type of games.

Yeah, I wasn't into Destiny and that's what this game seemed to me to be as well. That's why I was a little perplexed as to why it's so popular. Just seems like another variation of a 10 year old type of game. Is there anything beyond surviving a bug assault? Or robot assault? Like Destiny, it looks very repetitive and 'grindy'. I don't know. I must be missing something.

I tried playing Risk of Rain 2. It was okay for a few hours. I haven't touched it since. I imagine I'd do the same with Helldivers. I think these just aren't my type of games.
I think the idea of Helldivers 2 is to accomplish specific mission objectives while fighting off hordes of ai under a time limit. After you accomplish that you have to call in dropship to escape and survive until it lands and you make it to the ship.

I think the idea of Helldivers 2 is to accomplish specific mission objectives while fighting off hordes of ai under a time limit. After you accomplish that you have to call in dropship to escape and survive until it lands and you make it to the ship.
Basically yes. You land on a planet. Call for a weapons drop. Fight off hordes to get to an objective like gathering intel or destroying a base. Then you have to survive until a drop ship arrives to pick you up.

But that's basically the whole game right? Maybe as you lvl up and unlock weapons it gets more interesting but like I said, it's really not my type of game. Maybe fun for a co op with friends for a few hours but I can't see myself playing it a lot.

Basically yes. You land on a planet. Call for a weapons drop. Fight off hordes to get to an objective like gathering intel or destroying a base. Then you have to survive until a drop ship arrives to pick you up.

But that's basically the whole game right? Maybe as you lvl up and unlock weapons it gets more interesting but like I said, it's really not my type of game. Maybe fun for a co op with friends for a few hours but I can't see myself playing it a lot.
I played for an hour and could tell it would get boring quick. I don't buy the hype on it, this game will most likely have a massive drop off in the first 3 months.

It will also suffer from a lot of social aspects with poor sport players. War Frame had the best system for coop play and mission structure in terms of loot and gameplay length.

The timed structure and failure possibility in this game with the potential to loose your loot will in the end ruin the game. Players will kick anyone who does not have the best gear because they won't want to take the chance on wasted time.

A little more info on the upcoming Rise of the Ronin

Combat Vignette

5 reasons to be excited

Also the creator of No Man's Sky have teased their next game. In a complete departure from SciFi, they're now going fantasy, complete with the co-op play from No Man's Sky.

Light No Fire preview

Also in Helldivers 2 news, it looks like the Illuminate are likely to be faction 3. Aside from in game news broadcasts mentioning that the Illuminate have been sighted at various places, some game data miners have found code pertaining to Illuminate units.

Last edited:
Light No Fire is super intriguing. I played about 30hrs of No Man's Sky and discovered that even though tree punchers aren't really my thing, there is fun to be had there. I have so many questions though...

Like, is it going to be consistent? If the world is procedural and multiplayer can other players discover and "generate" parts of your world? Is it all one world? If you start a new game do you start in a new world, or a different place?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back