[WIP]Shae Vizla, Mark II started! As she now actually appears in SWTOR

Re: WIP: Shae Vizla, Bounty Hunter TOR

75028_StarWarsTheOldRepublic-ClassArtwork-01.jpg

46519_SWToR-Art-02.jpg

Image dump!

But progress for sure :) I have cut and resewn the test pattern. Had to take it in hugely. These things need to fit like historical costuming with negative ease or else you get wrinkling like woah which just really ruins the effect. Luckily my fabrics I have chosen allow for this so long as I don't need to unpick and resew.
It's amazing fabric so I really hope I don't screw it up.

I looked at the statues and the concept and they are nice and silver but the cinematic shows a matt grey on the bodysuit, and it is clear the silver/grey is the bodysuit and not metal armour. Seriously, there is no way to move if it was metal..... not just difficult but it wouldn't move as it goes over a joint.
So I am going to go for suede. It's not absolutely accurate but the concept for the male in game armour shows the layers as being leather. I almost bought some but remembered how my gloves stretch and deform over time and I really don't want that happening to my costume.
Faux leather generally looks cheap but this suede is glorious.

I will snap a pic of the fabrics tomorrow when there is natural light.

Sorry for the rotated photos. Both of the jetpack of course...
Frist photo was a joke, I was sanding and realised the inside looked like a playhouse so the logical step was to put two My Little Ponies in there. Of course.

I have decided I will make a mold of the jetpack as well as all the little bits and bobs (belt, hand.. things, gauntlets, arm displays and cannisters) as epoxy resin and epoxy resin FG is very light. Especially mixed with microballoons which I intend to do. I am looking at molding and casting the gun pieces not easily made from piping too.
That is the mold for my helmet master, nbot the first one :) There is a FG jacket on it now but it is really rough so I need to cut it back and get it all tidy.

If anyone is interested in casts from these pieces please let me know. It'll make a difference as to how carefully I make the molds ;) I am happy to sand out imperfections myself but will avoid them more if I know I am going to make more than one ;) So I'll be putting in more time now which could otherwise be spent making pretty frocks ;)

And today I managed to score some buttons and knob bits to make the sides of my knee cops :) Another part I am considering molding and casting.

In related but not costume news: my allergy has worsened. I now bled my rash gets so bad. Woo! And I had my hair all chopped so it is now just a little (lot) too short for the concept art, not too far from the statues. I am frantically willing it to grow. I have a wig for in case. But I doubt it will fit under the helmet... So it'll be for those "Glam" photos ;)
Medication. Innunosuppressant drugs tend to have that effect of hair loss.

Hang in there girl!

Suit is looking good.

My daughter liked the ponies. :)

Thank you :)

Ponies make everything better. Especially pastel coloured hand held ones that don't poop.

I got brave and cut all the suede I need. It looks amazing but I'm worried about how thick it is. I may have to vent the bodysuit somewhat. It will add stretch and also extra dimension (in the cinematic the panels appear to float over another surface, this will help in that illusion) and create twise as many seams and a lot more topstitching. But it'll make it easier to fit.

This is cool , I like your silicon sulution , what brand did you use and how many tubes did it take,?

Thank you :") I can't take credit for it, I just am a big fan of it :) I think if you search here for caulking silicon you may find a thread or two :)

I used Selley's clear roofing. We don't have super cheap silicon here, which is a pain. In my reading of methods other people have used they have all talked about tubes being a few dollars. Wow. Cheapest I can get it is $12/tube so it says somethng when even that is less than half the price of two part silicon...
I am on he hunt for places that stock cheap stuff and if it works as well I will be letting people know about it here :) The cosplayers here are mad keen enthusiasts but generally starting theur working lives or still at aschool so anything to help them is my aim :)

Oh the reason for the clear Selley's is that it seems to be more flexible than the coloured but it also makes it easier to see how thick you are layering it. I find it best to do two layers rather than one. I do use hot water and about 1:5 parts soap to water so I get a very rapid start on the cure and if you keep the tiny nozzle you get a lot of surface exposed to water so less times squishing ;)

And another update :)
I have cut the body out of my fabric and suede! I just need to cut the arms now. I'll be using my pattern I finalised for Samara as it seems to be a good number of panels.
I am essentially making a full multi seamed bodysuit with the suade appliqued on. This will mean I need to do a fair bit of hand sewing to turn back the seam allowances and a heck of a lot of puzzle work to figure out what panels get sewn in what order ;)

The pale blue/grey is my second test i think... whatever stage it is you can see how very different it looks when cut as a solid piece with bits stuck on ;) Oh the rubber fabric is inside out so you can only see the backing. This is so I could avoid using pins. If the rubber side is on the inside of the fold when I cut it cuts and seals the two layers together so no need for pins ;)

The panels are all slightly too narrow so I'm a bit stuffed if my calulations for the vents is wrong ;) I will be cutting them tomorrow. Rows and rows and rows of straight strips... Sigh.
Essentially I'll be doing this but without the cord, and without sewing the two sides together. So not at all like it...
my piping tutorial
Seriously, the best and fastest way to do piping. You do not cheap with this as it loses the point ;) Piping is for seam stability.

The cat is quality control.

And thanks for the encouragement to everyone who has replied :) It keeps me motivated when I look at my pile of plastics and glues and fabrics and start to freak out ;)

Last edited:

Looks like your on a roll,
Im in Australia so I know the pains of expensive silicons , this being the reason I asked as we have mostly the same products here,

I once atempted a KOTOR mandalorian Rohlan Dhyre , and never finished , so im looking forward to seeing if you finish yours,:thumbsup

Ahh yes, though we get extra charges on top (we get a lot of Barnes stuff) ;) I pick up PA and other bits when I am in Oz as it is significantly cheaper :)

Where in Oz are you? I'm heading up the cosplay team for Armageddon in Melbourne in October so if you are going it would be cool to catch up :) FLat tack on sunday as it is the day of the contest but should be free on Sat. I'll be Shaak Ti :D The Force unleashed version if I can stand being painted up again ;)

That was some really nice clean work there, I hope you still have the pieces? Or that you were able to pass them on to someone who could do justice to them?

On the armour: This week is dedicated to only sanding. Chest and back plates first, then jetpack and shins (which need to be trimmed a little more). Also sewing the bodysuit. Black stuff first then the suede. It'll help with the fitting of the other pieces :)
Next week it is molding of the bits I haven't yet started.

Yes, mold making and the likes, is a darn expensive hobby , an if its considered cheaper over here it must be quite high over there,

Im in Sydney , when is Armageddon Melbourne (not this weekend?) I missed Sydney ,

Thanks it was an early attempt,
No I couldnt even give it away in the end, its in a box some were

If your other costumes are anything to go by Im sure this will be your best yet,

Pity you missed Sydney as I'm not sure when the next one will be (venue hire is so crazy high), Melbourne October 22/23rd :)

Thank you :) It is certainly shaping up to be one of the most challenging. The other most challenging was one that may not look it :) My blue wool Cleves gown. That was a challenge to work out the most historically accurate pattern (none exist for that style, no tailor manual has been published of that area) and construction. It is a very unique style so I was not able to use the info available for other cultures except in a broad way. I'm really happy with what I did and could probably get my research published if I wrote it up properly. I definitely want to write a paper on Anne of Cleves.
I should mention I am both a geek and and a nerd.

I spent an hour or so today just cutting 16mm strips of lycra for inserting between he nearly straight panels of the legs and arms. Times like these I wish I had a rotary cutter! Usually used for quilting as they do long straight lines super fast and accurately. It just means I need to go slow when overlocking so that I can adjust for the slight irregularities.

22/23, plenty of time.

Looking at the Cleves gown Im not surprised, you are obviously very thorough and meticulous,

A geek and a nerd, to be honest that's quite obvious

Really a very impressive collection of costumes you have..

If anyone is interested in casts from these pieces please let me know. It'll make a difference as to how carefully I make the molds ;) I am happy to sand out imperfections myself but will avoid them more if I know I am going to make more than one ;)

Colour me interested :)

I am following this thread with interest as I'm planning to make this costume for Celebration 6, so I great appreciate everything you're posting up. The pictures posted by Zaxmon are a big help.

I have construction ideas for most of the parts, but I think the most difficult part will be the helmet. If you are thinking of casting extra pieces, I think we should talk ;)

lol! Yeah, I like to know not justhow to make stuff look good from the outside but to know why it looks good and why I prefer certain products over others ;) I have a BSc and that training never leaves you!

Oh and it looks like there may be an Adelaide Armageddon next year :) I did manage to get to Syndey Supanova in 2010 :) I wandered around in a balck bodysuit with short blue tentacles on my head ;)

kath, Excellent :) I will make sure to get my helmet cast soon to show the final form :)

42 strips being cut to act as inserts between each rubber panel in the legs and arms. Each insert is sewn by overlocker to the panels (seen in the final photo) and the next step is to top stitch the seam allowances to the rubber side. This will create a good channel effect and make the rubber look like floating panels over a black bodysuit. It may well have been easier to buy latex sheeting and glue them to a bodysuit.

The cat is perched on the left of a small panel of the nylon lycra which will be used to sewn the torso pieces to as they are a real mix of shapes and do not work like the above seams. I will likely have to tack the seam allowance down by hand and pin them in place over the nylon lycra and then topstitch in place.
Again, sheet latex would have been easier ;) But it would also have looked rather unreal. The stitches offer a lot of extra strength to the suit so they will have a function as well as be decorative.

I will be able to overlock the sleeves tomorrow. And will leave them open up one seam also to allow for fitting and shaping.

But then it will be another day for the torso and another day for the topstiting of the limbs. It took two hours just to overlock the legs and I am a fast sewer!

So anyone thinking the bodysuit is an easy part. Nup ;) Unless you do the statue version :) Which I think is a more sensible option. I just happen to be a fan of texture and creating unusual textures. It's why I love Mina's red dress in Bram Stoker's Dracula (also working on that- got all the leaves and pleats done. Got two underskirt layers and I still need to buy more fabric...) and Danielle's Just Breathe gown from Ever After (already made).

Your Ever After gown is gorgeous! :love Just amazing work mdb.

I'll be going the more sensible route I think, though I might do some top stitching to give a similar effect.

Mold of the helmet, rounds in progress, detonator choices (went with pink and yellow to make a turnable one), shoulder bell resinning, mold and jacket, ear bud sculpting, many little parts, helmet mold with FG in it, bucket of bits to go with the chest armour almost ready for priming.

I am about to remove the helmet from the mold and I am a little worried. But there is resin and filler for any bubbles there may be.

May try for some bodysuit sewing tomorrow. Not fancying that very much ;) So many seams...

Not bad for a first cast and first try with cabosil as filler (so fun, makes it feel like creamed honey*). I can't fit it on my head yet as all those flyaways need to be trimmed off first :) My rotary tool is on its last legs (stuck using the top speed only and that was what happened to my last one soon before it started to.. well.. die). So I am going to try and do all the cutting on one day with breaks between so the motor and the wheel don't wear out but so that I have a chance to get what needs to be cut actually cut.

*So I have tried West Systems microballoons- like a mix of runny honey and creamed and too much make it set up super fast; The fumed silica you can getfrom any hardware store- like fondant icing and the powder blows about too much but a nice easy to sand super light material; cabosil, still allows the flex of the resin, feels like creamed honey and the powder doesn't blow about too much and the colour remains translucent.

tumblr_ltlt5quR5Z1qi1vl1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ltltkqPwYS1qi1vl1

mdb costumes

Adding photos of the nearly completed costume here. Though I have the thighs finished (velcro dots nearly ready to be sewn to the suit to stop shifting) but I may not get a chance to wear her again thanks to a nasty bug I picked up at the con. Not con crud much worse and means I will be lucky to even be on site.

This costume has to be worn either as a face or as a helmeted character as the helmet is so short you need a balaclava underneath. Which you can't just wear and not wear.

So hopefully I do manage some photos with the balaclava in place.

Re: Shae Vizla, Bounty Hunter TOR, 90% complete, photos page 4

That is cool as hell, MDB. Get over that bug and let's see it with the thighs in place. The helmet turned out amazingly well.

Re: Shae Vizla, Bounty Hunter TOR, 90% complete, photos page 4

Thank you :)

I'd love to :) The big problem is my immune system just cannot cope (disease and cure both suppress my immune system) but antibiotics are going to make things a whole lot worse so I'm going to just stick it out and hope like crazy ;) If it were only a cold or flu... I'd feel bad but can at least wear a costume...

Already going a bit loopy. Energy drink, no food and a mallet are an interesting combination.

But I have just repaired the snap fasteners in the shins. I should have trimmed them down first I suppose. Hmm.. the morning will be fine if need be.

About to sew a tube of the same pvc to glue to the inside jaw as a "seal" then foam at the top of the earbuds to stop the wobble. Which will be worse with the balaclava!

Also trying to finsh my Mina gown at the same time so it's a bit of a panic. Luckily mina is just a case of handsewing all the parts made. Shae requires glue and hammers ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back