You have never seen the Blade Runner blaster before - PHOTOS RESTORED

How would an original Steyr rifle receiver have been finished?

If I recall, its the sequence either before or after he gets pummeled by Leon that shows the most contrast between the Steyr portion and the rest of the prop.

Screen caps would help...

But my money is on the fact that (minus the rust) the finish was the same as we're seeing now.

<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Aug 28 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]1308406[/snapback]</div>
Does this mean the top bit shouldn't be black?

SAS
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(racprops @ Aug 28 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]1308417[/snapback]</div>
Interesting question...

It WAS Blued, but this has worn away, and left the steel to rust a little.

[/b]

Also, this doesn't really jive...

Seems unrealistic that the Steyr receiver would wear off 100% in both quantity and evenness, where as the other parts of the gun don't not show commensurate collateral wear (though they are scratched notably, there does not appear to be any rubbing off of the true black finish). Particularly with regard to the cocking lever...

In my opinion, Rich, your ultimate version should match the color tones we see here, minus the rust.

Hey Rich,
I certainly do not feel that you owe anyone an apology for the blasters you have created thus far. Absolutely no need for apologies, but I certainly do appreciate the offer of the discount man, that's very nice of you. That said, I have to admit to kind of liking the differences in tone on the gun. I would not mind seeing the "ultimate" coyle piece using this look as well. I for one loved the paint job done on the blaster previously posted.

I had posted once before about the screw in the mag housing, but I am sure I wasn't the first to see that sucker.

Man, been staring at the pictures all damn day with a stupid grin on my face.. :D

For me, this image held the most suprised. I don't know why, but it did. Once I saw the cylinder I just thought "Hell, nobody saw that one coming." I don't think this detail was EVER discussed before.

DSC05738.jpg

I just popped in the film, and you can see the switch when Deckard is reaching for Rachel toward the end, and the camera follows the gun. Plain as day - when ya know it's there. hahahaha. :lol

This is awesome. Thanks again for posting these pics. :thumbsup

Generally: Steel comes in many shades, certain formulas of steel bluing age to various shades of gray fairly uniformly. De-rusting treatments can remove bluing uniformly, all sorts of things can happen.

Specifically: I wasn't there, so obviously I can't say for sure, but that butt plate looks like steel to me--if it was aluminum it would not be that uniform greyish shade, but an almost white silvery color.

Very kick-a**. This blaster is quickly becoming one of my favorite sci-fi weapons next to the Pulse Rifle and Morita. These new pictures will help me in making my first PKD purchase, as I'll want the most accurate version available. Now I'll know what to look for. :D

Great pictures, by the way.

Wow, so much to digest. :D

First, thanks to Karl for taking the time to get so many GREAT pics AND to share 'em. This is SUCH a big discovery. So many little details now out there in the cold light of day.

:D

For sure this is a thread for the archives, when it's time.

And now for some of the less fun stuff:

Please keep this thread on topic about the original prop, NOT for drumming up sales on replicas. There is already a JY thread, please keep all interest/sales-type comments out of this thread.

Thanks.

As everyone else has already said, kudos to Karl for the excellent work. :) I'm definitely looking forward to the article that you and RAC will be putting together. It would be awesome if you could get an interview with the owner..

Isn't it amazing, with all the research that has gone into this film, and this prop specifically, that no one new where this hero blaster was? Did the owner contact the Con and offer to show off the blaster, or did someone at the Con know who owned it?

With the flow of information on the 'net, it just seems that somebody should have known who owned this piece and would have spilled the beans by now.

Checked this thread late last night.

Slept in this AM because of it.

I have used Visine like 5 times today because I dried my eyes out staring at your pics so long late last night.

This is great. Thanks so much for taking the time to toss it on the forum.

With all of the discussion about the original finsih and what we are seeing in these pictures (Thanks, Karl.) I think it's interseting to look at the triggers and trigger guard from the right hand side. It looks like they had some black on them at one time that was rubbed off. Does anyone else have an opion on this? Could it be that the gun was originally finished "all black" like the patrolman's version? And with all of the other changes that took place over the course of filming, cleaned back down to the metal?

Of course, like so much about this gun, all a guessing game.

I still can't believe how amazing this is.

Rich and Phil, seeing the Hero shows how well you two did way back when.

Prefect42.
Ted.

YOU HAVE SAVED ME.. Im just now in the process of weathering my Blaster. :):) I just about fell out of my chair when I saw this post. These pictures are absolute revelation. INCREDIBLE. :) Thank you so much for postinng these pics. I cant believe how this blaster looks. My mouth dropped when I saw the cylinder exposed under the bolt. Whoa. Time to change my weathering plans.

Carl

<div class='quotetop'>(WinstonWolf359 @ Aug 28 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]1308713[/snapback]</div>
Wow, so much to digest. :D

First, thanks to Karl for taking the time to get so many GREAT pics AND to share 'em. This is SUCH a big discovery. So many little details now out there in the cold light of day.

:D

For sure this is a thread for the archives, when it's time.

And now for some of the less fun stuff:

Please keep this thread on topic about the original prop, NOT for drumming up sales on replicas. There is already a JY thread, please keep all interest/sales-type comments out of this thread.

Thanks.
[/b]

Do you think the Blaster discoveries deserve a thread of their own (this one) and maybe setup a second thread for the other finds (uniform badge, identification card, patches, hat w/ shield)? Those other items, especially the badge and identification card, have always been high interest items on their own and, like the blaster, have been recreated (and sometimes sold) by many fans/entrepreneurs. That way this thread is strictly blaster oriented and the other finds from the Wondercon BR display have a place of their own. Just my 2 cents...I am fascinated by it all.

<div class='quotetop'>(eltee @ Aug 29 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]1308770[/snapback]</div>
Do you think the Blaster discoveries deserve a thread of their own (this one) and maybe setup a second thread for the other finds (uniform badge, identification card, patches, hat w/ shield)? [/b]
That makes great sense, eltee. Keeping the threads separate will make it a lot easier to search through the reference material for specific information later. :thumbsup

deckgun3.jpg

Here is another image I found that I think not only shows the switch, but how big a factor set lighting (versus behind the scenes lighting, or between takes lighting) is in manipulating the color of things. Which I know has been discussed many times. :D

And as for discussing replicas, I think for some of us there isn't much seperation between this prop and Rich & Phil's work. :lol I know for me, Craig is added to that list too. You just sort of think in that order. I mean one of the first posts here was "Paging Mr. Coyle". In our circles he's the BR gun guru. So I hope we can be excused a bit if discussion about the replicas seeps in, but sales, yeah, good call.

Njc----------------------

<div class='quotetop'>(nick daring @ Aug 28 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1308775[/snapback]</div>
This is one of favorite photos showing the grey top section.

16_1_2.jpg

Nick
[/b]
Wow.

That does appear to be the color of the prop as photographed by Karl. I still just so amazed....

Jim

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back