Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

But restoring a replica is not purchasing/condoning a fake... am I right? And I doubt Jein would be part of any subculture that would not condemn outright fakery.

Back in the day, a lot of fakes were passed off as originals. But there were also bootleg replicas built and sold as such. Over the years, it became a lot easier to spot fakes.

I think it's entirely conceivable that various people learned they'd bought fakes and kept them anyway, since they've also become collectors' items.

Last edited:
Back in the day, a lot of fakes were passed off as originals. But there were also legitimate bootleg replicas built and sold as such. Over the years, it became a lot easier to spot fakes.

I think it's entire conceivable that various people learned they'd bought fakes and kept them anyway, since they've also become collectors' items.
There is a certain logic to that.

Per an interview with Heritage, Greg separated items the he discovered were fake in his collection and marked them as such. Heritage chose not to sell those in this auction as they wanted to only concentrate on the real thing.
They noted they might sell the fakes in a future auction and of course they would be described as such in the listing.

Per an interview with Heritage, Greg separated items the he discovered were fake in his collection and marked them as such. Heritage chose not to sell those in this auction as they wanted to only concentrate on the real thing.
They noted they might sell the fakes in a future auction and of course they would be described as such in the listing.
Thank you!

That looks like it is a casting of Greg Jein's mid-grade phaser (that apparently came directly from Jim Rugg so one of the only provable non-fakes among all the forgeries that are floating around). Better photos would go a long way. That being said even with better pictures there is really no way without a provable history to figure out if it is a casting or another one Jim Rugg owned.

Uhh, no.

Attachments

• 402048919_10231429762830082_2780696724592802820_n (1).jpg
    402048919_10231429762830082_2780696724592802820_n (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
That looks like it is a casting of Greg Jein's mid-grade phaser (that apparently came directly from Jim Rugg so one of the only provable non-fakes among all the forgeries that are floating around). Better photos would go a long way. That being said even with better pictures there is really no way without a provable history to figure out if it is a casting or another one Jim Rugg owned.
The owner says it's from the Jim Rugg collection and he was told by Jim that it was originally a B&W hero that lost the P1 and when Jim had gotten it was converted to the BGB.

I have seen his pics of a nearly mint condition hero Tricorder & Communicator that he has that he claims Greg confirmed to be screen used.

I asked basic questions and he got pissed and blocked me after I told him that all four hero B&W's were converted to BGB's and called me a few names in an attempt to insult me.

The whole thing reminded me of the nonsense JPL pulled the N. Nichols forgery he managed to sell a few years back

The owner says it's from the Jim Rugg collection and he was told by Jim that it was originally a B&W hero that lost the P1 and when Jim had gotten it was converted to the BGB.

I have seen his pics of a nearly mint condition hero Tricorder & Communicator that he has that he claims Greg confirmed to be screen used.

I asked basic questions and he got pissed and blocked me after I told him that all four hero B&W's were converted to BGB's and called me a few names in an attempt to insult me.

The whole thing reminded me of the nonsense JPL pulled the N. Nichols forgery he managed to sell a few years back

I presume the communicator and tricorder referred to here should be the Zeta comm and McCoy/Spock hero hybrid, which have been screen-matched very well. Unless they're something else, entirely.

I presume the communicator and tricorder referred to here should be the Zeta comm and McCoy/Spock hero hybrid, which have been screen-matched very well. Unless they're something else, entirely.
The tricorder looks like a hybrid, yet I've built replicas that look like that so I am leary

I'll DM you with the pics he posted

Last edited:
Here is the Tricorder he posted pics of it could be a hybrid, yet I am skeptical as to it's being real
View attachment 1762467

At first glance that does appear to be the well-documented hybrid hero (which is a mixture of parts from both the Spock and McCoy heroes, seemingly diassembled and then reassembled with parts swapped, and the center compartment’s guts missing), which served as the basis for the Master Replicas and as-yet-unreleased Wand Company replicas.

Yeah, but that entails an entire new line of folks who buy those, make copies and then sell those copies.

And then, we're stuck with trying to determine...

Genuine Fakes. :p

Yeah, but that entails an entire new line of folks who buy those, make copies and then sell those copies.

And then, we're stuck with trying to determine...

Genuine Fakes. :p

Not sure I understand your concern. People could by the real item and make copies too.

We have no idea how good or bad the fakes are that Heritage has in their possession.

Looks like a replica to me. Note the straight sides on the view screen. Like a rectangle with rounded corners. Not slightly curved sides like a vintage tv screen.
That's what was throwing it off for me because the rest seems almost as it should be. The communicators I don't know enough about to say one way or the other

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back