Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

halliwax
From my understanding Universal has multiple shifts worth of coverage handling the scenic painting in the Potter areas, I would assume Disney will do the same for SW for the sake of upkeep
Someone might confirm or dispute this, but I've been told Disney has maintenance/inspection/repair crews that scour their amusement parks when they're closed. Their primary goal is to make sure the rides are safe so none of the guests are injured, but a close second is to make sure the park is clean and well maintained; after all, they have an image to uphold.

I do know this--a company I worked for in 1979-1981 was contracted to do some cement/concrete work for the Disneyland park in Anaheim, California, in one of the maintenance tunnels under the Big Thunder Mountain ride. On the last day of the contract I hauled the last of our equipment and remaining supplies out of the park, literally driving out of the back of the park as the guests were entering the front gates. I was specifically instructed to drive slowly, and there were two rows of maintenance workers with push brooms walking behind my truck making sure any debris (i.e., evidence of our presence in the park) would be removed before the guests reached that section of the park. To me it was an interesting "peek behind the curtain", but to the Disney staff it was business as usual and they were very concerned about maintaining the fantasy illusion the park provides for it's guests.
Based on what I've been told by family and friends who have worked there in recent years, in that regard nothing has changed.

Wow they are intense!! I also was told that they hose down the black top every morning before the gates open

Idk how true that is, but when the first people enter it gives the streets a shiny look

Wow they are intense!! I also was told that they hose down the black top every morning before the gates open

Idk how true that is, but when the first people enter it gives the streets a shiny look
I could see them doing that long before they open the gates just to make sure the walkways are clean, but it would have to be long enough for it to dry before the guests enter the park. I can't see them risking any of the guests slipping and falling on the wet pavement and getting injured.

I'm anxious to see how this Falcon ride really works. Surely the exterior is just a facade and you are actually rerouted somewhere else to be in the Falcon "cockpit". No way you are actually going into that cockpit of the full scale ship.

I could see them doing that long before they open the gates just to make sure the walkways are clean, but it would have to be long enough for it to dry before the guests enter the park. I can't see them risking any of the guests slipping and falling on the wet pavement and getting injured.

I can tell you from experience, having worked there many, many years ago, they hose down the pavement and Main Street shortly after closing once all of the guests are out of the park. It's also during this time that they do all of the maintenance that they can't do during park hours including repainting things, replacing plants and flowers, changing light bulbs, etc. In a sense, Disneyland never truly closes, I don't know how long the after hours personnel work for but I imagine that there's a pretty small window between closing and opening that there's nobody working inside the park except for security and even then they'd probably be only in the back stage areas and the outer perimeter of the park.

I'm anxious to see how this Falcon ride really works. Surely the exterior is just a facade and you are actually rerouted somewhere else to be in the Falcon "cockpit". No way you are actually going into that cockpit of the full scale ship.

There is a huge ride building concealed by those "mountains" and facades surrounding the ship. The ride simulators are all in there. Like you said, it will be interesting to see how they work out the entrance to the attraction.

Last edited:
49753043_10216377674727910_8124760690058592256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg

49304716_10216377677327975_7526193973010890752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

Is it me or the MF cockpit looks giant, or those people in the pic are from the Shire?

It's almost certainly a bit oversized in order to accomodate 6 riders, so it's longer than canon and probably a bit wider in oder to facilitate boarding and disembarking the ride. At the end of the day this is going to be a ride vehicle and not a faithful recreation of the Falcon.

Is it me or the MF cockpit looks giant, or those people in the pic are from the Shire?
I agree with Riceball. Disney changed the original design to allow more people on the ride, and to make it easier for the guests to get in and out. They do what they can to get people on and off all of the rides as quickly as possible because they know how long the queue lines are.

It is designed to seat 6 riders, so it's going to have to be larger. There are also multiple simulators running at the same time, and I assume there will be a fairly elaborate pre-show and probably lots of interactive queue activities.

A ride like Mission:Space has multiple 4-person simulators running together and has a OHRC (Operational Hourly Ride Capacity) of 1440 and a Daily Capacity of 17280. Avatar: Flight of Passage also has an OHRC of 1440, and enjoyed 3-4 hour wait times last year. I predict the Imagineers understand the appeal of the new land and have likely designed the Galaxy's Edge ride systems to boost the OHRC to accommodate the load, but we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
A ride like Mission:Space has multiple 4-person simulators running together and has a OHRC (Operational Hourly Ride Capacity) of 1440 and a Daily Capacity of 17280. Avatar: Flight of Passage also has an OHRC of 1440, and enjoyed 3-4 hour wait times last year. I predict the Imagineers understand the appeal of the new land and have likely designed the Galaxy's Edge ride systems to boost the OHRC to accommodate the load, but we will have to wait and see.

I don't know what the exact OHRC is going to be but it's supposed to be pretty good. There will be, for a lack of a better term, 3 ride units in the show building with each ride unit holding several (4 or 5?) 6 person Falcon cockpits.

Star Tours ride duration is 5 minutes plus 5 more minutes for load/unload, so that's 6 ride cycles per hour per vehicle. Assuming the Falcon ride is of similar duration, that's a THRC (Theoretical Hourly Ride Capacity) of 168 riders X 6 cycles or only 1008... unless my math is off...

Feels like a studio ghibli/SW crossover.

“When we open Galaxy’s Edge, I think grown men are going to cry,” said Margaret Kerrison, Imagineering’s managing story editor for the Star Wars project. “I think people are going to fall to their knees and start kissing the ground. It sounds like a total exaggeration, but I feel like it’s going to happen. There’s just so much anticipation and excitement for this.”
lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back