Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

So now the plan is to have a Disney themed gated community? What is this? The Truman Show? Corporatized communities sound terrifying. How many sci-fi movies with this idea ended in disaster?

I guess if you can close down your overpriced themed hotel experience and cut 7000 jobs in the process, why not just throw money into another branded real estate opportunity?

This company is soulless.

DisneyHOA: coming (whether you like it or not) to your neighborhood soon....

That already exists.

Golden-Oak-Entry_bestcrop-HEADER-2x1.jpg

You can collaborate with Imagineering team to customize your house with as much or as little (tasteful) design touches.

Last edited:
That already exists.

View attachment 1705003

You can collaborate with Imagineering team to customize your house with as much or as little (tasteful) design touches.

Just one more reason to laugh at the notion that this is an entertainment company. Since when does real estate fit into the plans of a film studio? We're talking about two completely different industries that have absolutely zero cross over. A theme park or themed resort/ cruise (actual cruise- not a fake cruise) fit in with cross promotion for their movies, but a freaking multimillion dollar private community? What in the world does that have to do with a movie?

Just one more reason to laugh at the notion that this is an entertainment company. Since when does real estate fit into the plans of a film studio? We're talking about two completely different industries that have absolutely zero cross over. A theme park or themed resort/ cruise (actual cruise- not a fake cruise) fit in with cross promotion for their movies, but a freaking multimillion dollar private community? What in the world does that have to do with a movie?
Money.

If Disney was smart, they would keep the Galactic Starcruser building, gut it, and make it a walk-through SW OT area: Bespin interior, Death Star interior, Rebel ANH war-room interior, Hoth Rebel base interior/Wampa cave, ANH Cantina, Jabba's Palace throne room, Emperor's DS throne room, etc...

Since Disney wants to keep Galaxy's Edge as Batuu and ST themed with no OT at all, they could cram a bunch of OT in that huge building and maybe actually draw more SW fans to WDW.
That might be what they do eventually, but at the moment, they're trying to take a $300 million tax writeoff so they can't do anything that makes money with it.

That might be what they do eventually, but at the moment, they're trying to take a $300 million tax writeoff so they can't do anything that makes money with it.
While that's probably true, but can you blame them? It's not like you, or anybody else, wouldn't do the same under the same or similar circumstances.

They did say that they’ll repurpose the things I to something else.

Probably a big adventure for GE guests to go spend an extra $50.00 on for a half hour of being chased through a rebel ship by stormtroopers.

People call Celebration "The Truman Show". The downtown has manufactured history. It's a backlot with real buildings behind the facades.

If Disney was smart, they would keep the Galactic Starcruser building, gut it, and make it a walk-through SW OT area: Bespin interior, Death Star interior, Rebel ANH war-room interior, Hoth Rebel base interior/Wampa cave, ANH Cantina, Jabba's Palace throne room, Emperor's DS throne room, etc...

Since Disney wants to keep Galaxy's Edge as Batuu and ST themed with no no OT at all, they could cram a bunch of OT in that huge building and maybe actually draw more SW fans to WDW.
I like it- could still take the “shuttle” over there from Batuu.

Makes me angry every time I leave smugglers run, walking through the brown walled corridors that look so much like Hoth - but are not…..It’s a big middle finger to OT fans.
3697A4B3-ACEC-4DBB-A4A5-337568FC6607.jpeg

The latest report is the Bob Iger shot down ideas to turn the building into a Mandalorian experience/adventure, or a tour area for day guests and keep the bar and hotel open. To get the tax write-off, they have to close it down as a for profit venture I believe.

People call Celebration "The Truman Show". The downtown has manufactured history. It's a backlot with real buildings behind the facades.

My brother use to live/work there. It's no longer owned by Disney. It's actually a nice, upscale town (although completely manufactured).

these idiots running Disney are definitely in a "bubble" $6,000 per night?? what were they thinking.. so out of touch with the average American family.... you know...their main customer base!
Walt is probably spinning in his grave! :mad:

... oh wait, I forgot...he's probably stuck ...frozen solid, to the inside walls of his cryo-tube ;)

I'm not sure how this compares since we didn't get to make it, but the thing I liked about Quark's Bar in Vegas was you could just come and go as you pleased and weren't really locked into a specific LARP... I *love* just hanging around Battu and the themed environments at Galaxy's Edge - but there's the cost of entry. That said, if GE existed when I was a kid, my head would have exploded. I'd like to think (?) maybe setting the Starcruiser during a different era may have helped, but not sure - sounds like cost and experience had some hurdles with some folks... There's *probably* a way to do a Star Wars hotel that works, just not sure exactly what it would be...
I know there are some here who didn't like it, but I LOVED Quarks in Vegas. I liked to just sit at the bar and drink Roman ale (which I'm pretty sure was just Bud light died blue), and soak up the atmosphere.

One prime example of this is Dragon Alley at Universal. Yes there's things to see. Yes there's rides and shows and shops. BUT, you can also just hang out there. I've killed half a day just BEING in Diagon Alley.

Battu fails at that in my opinion. There's not one simple answer why, but a whole host of nuanced reasons. The rides are good. There's the usual wandering NPCs, and the shops are OK. There's even a bar thats hard to get into and they took away the stools to move people faster. And the whole time I cant shake the feeling that Disney doesn't really want me to hang out here. They want me to get in, spend my money, and get out. which is what I did, and felt no need to ever go back.

I 100% would stay at a Star Wars hotel, but a 3 day "show" seemed risky to me for the price.

I think that sums it up nicely. I'd been trying to put my finger on my sense of what stuck with me at Disney. And it all seems to come down to where I felt the least rushed and most comfortable. The relaxed experience and immersion of it.

I know there are some here who didn't like it, but I LOVED Quarks in Vegas. I liked to just sit at the bar and drink Roman ale (which I'm pretty sure was just Bud light died blue), and soak up the atmosphere.

One prime example of this is Dragon Alley at Universal. Yes there's things to see. Yes there's rides and shows and shops. BUT, you can also just hang out there. I've killed half a day just BEING in Diagon Alley.

Battu fails at that in my opinion. There's not one simple answer why, but a whole host of nuanced reasons. The rides are good. There's the usual wandering NPCs, and the shops are OK. There's even a bar thats hard to get into and they took away the stools to move people faster. And the whole time I cant shake the feeling that Disney doesn't really want me to hang out here. They want me to get in, spend my money, and get out. which is what I did, and felt no need to ever go back.

I 100% would stay at a Star Wars hotel, but a 3 day "show" seemed risky to me for the price.
I was at Quarks on opening day, and closing day. When I lived in Vegas I would go there all the time. I used to repair the props for them when a customer would break them. Great memories.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back