Thanks to those getting involved and paying already. My machinist should have the handles done by the end of next week, so then those who have paid for just the base kit can start to be shipped to. In the meantime I will start some of the finishing for those who want it to help speed things along.

What's the machinist doing to the handles?

So excited about this project. Over the years I have been mostly staying away from non Star Wars prop and non-canon props (such as concept and old EU) but this one really has a great feel to it.

What's the machinist doing to the handles?

So excited about this project. Over the years I have been mostly staying away from non Star Wars prop and non-canon props (such as concept and old EU) but this one really has a great feel to it.
They're cast solid, so he's using the lathe to machine out space for the tang to go in. A little tricky due to their shape not having parallel sides.

53716775_655501014866765_3243843667428900864_n.jpg

Busy starting all the packing and some of the finishing work currently requested. Those on the list (batch 1) who have not yet paid, you should have a dm from me requesting payment, just in case you haven't seen the updates here, but it's post #76 for payment options and details.

Would you happen to have any shots of the medallions buffed up? Trying to decide between the stock ones and brass ones..

Would you happen to have any shots of the medallions buffed up? Trying to decide between the stock ones and brass ones..

Haven't actually tried it yet! They look really dark in the previous pic, but not the best lit photo ever xD

BTW, thank you for offering a non polished option at shapeways.

No problem, makes it slightly more affordable. If you order them let us know how they look!

I got the polished!

Plan: spray them black, sit for a second and wipe the top flat clean. Leaving the inner bits blackened

BTW, thank you for offering a non polished option at shapeways.

No problem, makes it slightly more affordable. If you order them let us know how they look!

I got a notification that they are shipping. I will post pictures of them when in hand. I plan to age them using Aluminum Black, although there is a product called Brass Black, I have used AB on brass before with positive results.

One box of drilled handles! :D this means that I have everything I need to start boxing batch 1 for those who have paid. A few of you have gone for a full finish (F) which will take me a little while, but I am cracking on with the parts. Although I'm I'm batching as much as possible, these will be done basically in order of paying.

Should be getting to the post office with the first ones early next week!

20190323_161336.jpeg

That's great that they are one piece. I thought they might have been cast in halves. This looks like an easy clean up.

Do you have any recommendation for attaching the handle to the tang?

That's great that they are one piece. I thought they might have been cast in halves. This looks like an easy clean up.

Do you have any recommendation for attaching the handle to the tang?

Yeah, a bit more tricky this way, but worth it for ease of assembly. Should all slip together with the guard. I'll be using an epoxy for the final glue up, will see how that goes xD Should be able to just fill up the hole in the handle with a load of it!

I was thinking of the Gorilla Glue that you wet the surface area and it expands into a foam when it dries. I've used before with great results. If I us some little foam spacers inside the handle to hold the tang in place when I add the glue and let it dry, it might work.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back