Kurtz Dossier

Next up item #10, the parachute jump. I've straightened out what's visible in my screenshot, but it's still the ****e.

I'd love something like this that's close, doesn't need to be exact, but I haven't found it yet.

Item #8. Kurtz being decorated by Westmoreland. Now I know the pic in the film is bigger than this, but I decided to cut my losses and crop it. I also added an old photo look as if it's be xeroxed a million times.

Item #7. Kurtz letter to Lyndon Johnson.

Only the header is visible in the film. I improvised the entire body text of the letter. I believe this would be printed on onion skin. It also needs a signature.

Just a quick thing but the DOD logo you're using is from 1997 the fifty year anniversary of the organisation, it's messing with the look of your work.
cheerio

Okay, here's my form filled out with all the information that is visible in the film. Any suggestions for other boxes and how to correctly fill them out?
I chose Asheville NC as Kurtz birth place and where he grew up.

found a couple that'll give you something to put in the boxes, it appears they did use the giant eagle stamp on some of them.
View attachment 56824 View attachment 56823
cheerio

p.s the letter to the president is on the page after the one after the confidential cover page, you can see from the relative positions of the text that there would be no room for a letter on that sheet, also you can just make it out through the paper.

Last edited:
View attachment 56874
just finished this reworked item 3 after looking for the right signature for way too long, bugger it, it needs signing then running through a photocopier a couple of times.
cheerio
might go and watch asavage and crew do some exploding of things.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a very accurate dossier, as far as I know he has handled the original hero version. I can ask him for some info.

NEW developments. Been working.
I've been doing some more staring at the screenshots. I've been ordering envelopes.

So I managed to find a place to hand-make me some of the vinyl envelopes seen in Kurtz' dossier. Nothing fit the bill so I fronted the cash and had 50 made.
I then printed "CLASSIFIED" stickers and cut them out and applied them. Pretty friggin' accurate. The Vietnamese IDs are reasonably inexpensive on Ebay, though I'm planning on making a file and laminating it so that I can fill more envelopes.
The large, flapped envelopes were VERY hard to find. I have several boxes of the wrong type of files.
They're 14" x 9.5" and they print nicely in my Canon Pixma 9000. They're great 13" x 19" large format inkjet printers. They're photos are GORGEOUS and they can be gotten on craigslist for like 200 bucks. It's a deal.

Here's some pix.
Screenshots are the first two pictures. The rest are pix of my progress.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    956.8 KB · Views: 225
Looks like you've been busy! Thanks for the recommendation on the large format printer too, it's something every geek should own, yet here I am with none.. :lol I'll look into that Canon 9000

Here's my latest breakdown of what's in the dossier and what SHOULD be in there. I'm feeling more and more confident of this. MAN I wish I could lay my hands on one of the originals.

KURTZ DOSSIER
CONTENTS
All of the Numbered items below are things I've been able to see in screenshots from the Blu-Ray DVD. Everything else is stuff I surmise is stuff that would naturally be in such a dossier, who knows.

Envelope
The dossier is held by a 9x12” Envelope. Thick manilla, With a trapezoidal flap on the long side. It's a string closure envelope, sealed in brown paper tape all along the flap, which is in turn drawn on with red grease pencil (a tamper proof measure) and then sealed with a 1” diameter eagle pattern wax seal. The string closure is made using heavy paper and 1/8” eyelets (brass).

The Dossier Evnelope is printed with something on opposite corners of the back. Top left would be something like Department of the Army With the address below. Likely Vicenza Italy as the address as that’s where 173rd Airborne (Kurtz' unit” is based.
ON the bottom right of the back is something else. Perhaps a “Confidential” thing. Not sure

In the middle of the back is an Address label It's addressed on the front side with a small white label. Addressed to Capt. B.L. Willard. It also has two pieces of black printing on the front.

On the backside of the envelope, on the flap, something like SEALED ORDERS is visible in screenshots.

Inside the dossier are
Folders
5 brown folders. 4 of them with red Dyno labels on them, just under the lip. 4 of these are labeled “IVORY I, II, III AND IV”. The same four of them also have “TOP SECRET” in a large serif type stamped on them, about 4.5” long, just below the IVORY labels. The 5th one has no label.
5 two-prong paper holders. These are installed in both sides of each of the 5 folders.
Each of the folders has a combination of paperwork clamped into the 2-prong holders, and lose pages in them.
ON the right side of each of the 4 Ivory folders is a CIA CONFIDENTIAL cover sheet. It's on one side only.

Ivory I
Is Kurtz' early history. From birth, through high school, to west point. Pictures include mom, him as a young lad, Kurtz as Cadet, Kurtz taking oath. His harvard Thesis is here.
*6. Top Secret Cover Sheet (An old form of the standard sf-705 cover sheet, not in use since 1988)**
41. Picture Young Kurtz (school picture**
39. Picture Kurtz Wedding
18. Picture of Kurtz mom Can't fix screengrab, find something similar.
19. Picture of young kurtz**
40. Picture Kurtz oath west point**
43. Picture Cadet Kurtz (from west point presumably)**
Picture of Kurtz house in Asheville
Kurtz' Marriage License
Birth Certificate Kurrtz 1927**
Harvard Diploma 1949/50**
Harvard transcript 1949/50 [copy paper]**
thesis from harvard 1950 [copy paper]**
Marriage certificate (Janet Anderson, 14 June 1951.) [pinker paper]**
PICTURE yearbook page from West Point
West point Acceptance *joined the Class of 1946 at West Point on 1 July 1943.**
West Point Transcript
PICTURE yearbook page from West Point
Ivory II
Is Kurtz commendations. Letters of appreciation, Letters of commendation. Promotions, diplomas, medals, certificates of achievement are all in here. Newspaper articles about his achievements are in here. The list of medals is impressive. Several letters attesting to his bravery are here. Photostats of his medal certificates are here too.
*6. Top Secret Cover Sheet (An old form of the standard sf-705 cover sheet, not in use since 1988)**
*3. Letter of Appreciation For the Cobra Fly By. (half visible, I added 3rd paragraph.) (30 August 1965) [copy paper]**
*4. Letter of Commendation (10 may 1964) [light green onion skin paper]**
*7. Letter to Lyndon Johnson from Kurtz (9 March 1964)**
*8. Picture of Kurtz being decorated by Westmoreland (promotion to Captain?)**
*9. Article“Officer Passes Jump School at 38” (held to other articles by regular paper clip) (approx 1965)**
*10. Picture Parachute jumping (goes with Jump School article above)**
16. Certificate Dod, psy ops training cert. [photostat]
17. 4 certificates on one sheet, black background (two visible, west point graduation, Defense Intilligences school, other two aren't clear)**
20. Newsweek interior “Operation Archangel**
21. Article cutout “Saigon Post”
22. Article cutout “Green Beret Colonel Under Fire (glued to full paper sheet. Width of 2 columns)**
29. Article packets bound with paper clips
Letter of commendation
Promotion to Colonel
Kurtz being decorated by Lyndon Johnson**
Ivory III
Kurtz history, military transcripts, his collected correspondence with his superiors. Requests for transfer. Suggestions to superiors. Letters among superiors regarding his talents are here. Letters from Kurtz' friends asking him to settle down are here. His “You've known me for 18 years” letter is here.
5. Military Transcript with DOD stamp (could be better)** Standard form dd214
12.Kurtz' rejection from special forces (request for transfer- denied )DISPOSITION FORM
13. Kurtz' rejection from special forces (request for transfer- denied )DISPOSITION FORM
14. Kurtz acceptance to special forces. (request for transfer accepted)DISPOSITION FORM
11. Kurtz Letter “you have known me for 18 years” [onion skin]
15. Letter to Kurtz from “Willie” Exhorting him not to join Special forces.
23. Kurtz CV
Promotion to 1st Lieutenant Between 1947-49 [copy paper]
Promotion to Major Between 1950- [copy paper]
Promotion to captain Seoul, 1951 [copy paper]
Promotion to 2nd lieutenant [copy paper]
Ivory IV
Is everything after Kurtz went insane. It's surveillance photographs, smuggled photos, hearsay, interviews with local Cambodians. Kurtz' letter to his son is in here. It includes Colby's letter to his wife etc. It's all post-river stuff.
30. Kurtz' letter to the Journal of SE Asian Affairs
33. Kurtz' letter to son [onion skin]**
34. Surveillance photo of kurtz in Sillouhette (along with printed typed key taped to side)**
Official condemnation of letter
Termination and recall letter (from military superiors
CIA report on Kurtz activities (after he's gone up the river)
Transcript of Kurtz' radio transmission
Photo: Interregator
Operation Archangel letter of intent (or completion)
Operation Archangel Reprimand

“KURTZ” folder contents:
The fifth folder has a black DYNO label on the upper left that says “KURTZ”. It is the one Willard receives in the meeting in the beginning of the film. It's the one with the cover sheet that says: Heavy manilla folder labeled Personnel / Records Jacket/ United States Army on the front. It also includes the a10 sized envelope that has the letter in it that tells Willard about the COLBY situation.
48. Heavy manilla folder labeled Personnel / Records Jacket/ United States Army
3 photo packets (each held by paperclip
1 dozen pix of vietnamese people
1 dozen pix of a vietnamese villiage
2 dozen pix of american soldiers
2 official looking filled-out forms with red stamps-dont know what language, possibly Vietnamese,
Several CIA documents, apparently for look only as the text has nothing to do with Apocalypse events
Two newspaper clippings with pictures of American troops, text in Vietnamese (I assume)
3 Vietnamese IDs in addition to the other ones. Loose
25.CIA stationery (seen under above)
47. Clippings from Vietnamese newspaper. X 3?
49. Envelope with a picture of COLBY and the letter from his superiors about COLBY.
35. Letter to Willard 'New Development” pick up the other special forces guy Colby
36. Colby “sell the house!” letter to wife
37. Picture of Colby** (Young Scott Glen)

In addition to the folders, the Dossier is also full of
Photos
Photo envelopes

The Dossier also contains packets of photos. All of different things in vietnam related to Kurtz.
One of the vinyl envelopes contains 5 vietnamese Ids.The “Packets” are vinyl “War Dept.” envelopes described below. I have had these manufactured for me and they're pretty damn close.

26. Photo holder(s) (vinyl 6”x 9” with snap and “War Office” logo on back) (we see at least 5 of these)
6 vinyl envelopes, 6x9” black on back, clear on front, with a Dept. of War logo hot stamped on back. Flap on short side, with silver 1/2” snap closure. Each envelope has a red bordered “CLASSIFIED” sticker on it's flap, above the snap, that's 1-1/8” x 4-1/4”.
42. Vietnamese Ids**
27. Photo packet 8x10 with batallion picture on front, held by paper clip.
Let's say that this package has 15 photos of batallions in it.
28.Several Photo packets, Held by paper clips. Each of these photo packets is a vinyl envelope, black on the back with a War department hot-stamped logo, and clear on the front. With an end flap with a snap.
32. Photo packet
Montagard photograph
NVA Regular photograph
Mai Lai “extended fighting photograph
Soldier standing with row of rifles with helmets
Two soldiers standing photograph

There are alos a bunch of loose photos and documents etc.
Loose:
*1. Picture of Kurtz 5”x7” (matte) **
38. Map of Vietnam, Cambodia (special us military topo map. On bottom it says “dong sre viet” from 1965. These show up on Ebay from time to time.
11°53′00″N
107°00′00″E

44. Picture Kurtz in Uniform (seen next to original picture of kurtz, with an IDEAL paper clip holding it**
45. Kurtz Time Magazine Cover (Includes Terryton ad for Cigarettes- Print on glossy thin photo paper)**
46. Kurtz Rolling Stone Cover (no back, print on Newsprint)**
There's one 8x10 size, held by a large paper clip, with a large photo of 5 special forces guys
There's another that seems to be all the newspaper articles about Kurtz held together by a paper clip. Most of these seem to be originals, not copies i.e. printed on newsprint

Up there, by the by, I'm wrong about the 5th folder (the one Willard gets at the meeting in the beginning) having no label. I just caught a peek of it.
Top left corner, Black DYNO label. Says KURTZ.

Here's the screenshot it's visible. Look behind the dossier in the satchel. Anyone has info on the satchel itself?

I know I went over the top with it but please see post #28 almost the whole of item 3 the letter of appreciation is visible in the movie. There are at least 6 paragraphs partially visible.

cheerio

this looks close : USGI issue cotton canvas map cases

Map%20Case.JPG

What's the difference between the 2 yearbook pages? Is one the general page and the other something about his distinguished service, sports acumen?
page 272 (including cover) of the 50th anniversary Howitzer covers one of them.
I had no idea they put so many ads in the back of a yearbook.

If the yearbook page is on there twice it's my mistake. Yearbook.com has apparently higher res scans of their 1947 yearbook if you join up. I'm not willing to.

how big do you reckon the Dod certificate of training is? I was just gonna produce an a4 one as if it was photostatted to size.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back