Most iconic car in history

Ok, if you want a game changer that EVERYONE knows you need to go see that Italian Tractor builder who upset Enzo Ferrari.

A digital dash that they could never get to work so they had to throw old dials in at the last minute. Almost impossible to reverse and a clutch like a dump truck..... but my God...... its Gorgeous.

From the original...
62150652-770-0@2X.jpg

To the 5000 qv

Lamborghini_Countach_LP_5000S_1983.jpg

picking 100 random strangers and simply asking them the question.

Seems to me the question

"What is the most iconic car in history?"

is fairly open-ended. How might people define "iconic"?

Let me propose a concrete version of the question:

"What car can most people identify by name at sight?"

Everyone would recognise the DeLorean, but would they be able to name it?

I would guess that very few people would know the names "Ecto-1" and "Mach 5" and "Eleanor".

But everyone, everyone, would know the name "Batmobile".

With ordinary production cars most people can't tell a Chevy from a Ford.

But most people could name a VW or Jeep when they see it.

Last edited:
:whistle: I now nominate, the helicopter from "airwolf" a bell huey 222, the "taxi" from the t.v. show taxi. the "sanford and son" junk truck, the gmc pickup with the snow plow on the front from "simon and simon" the "A-TEAM" van, the "coyote" from hardcastle and McCormick, the limo from "different strokes", the wagon from "wagon train", the horse hoss rode on in "bonanza", plus SILVER the horse from "the lone ranger" t.v. show (as the movie sucked donkey ball's) the resurrected mustang in "the hat squad", the prototype car from "the wraith", the corvette from "corvette summer" ponch and John's motorcycles from "chip's" the police car from "blue's brother's", and then the police car from the show "car 54 were are you"?? :sleep:

I'd be lying if I said I was a car guy. But, as long as it's silver, I would recognize a Delorean anywhere.

It was either that or the Pink Panther car.

Think of all the animals you ever heard about
Like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?
Think!
A panther that is positively pink!

Now get that out of your head. Its stuck in mine.

I think iconic goes hand in hand with masses of people knowing what it is.

If you need them to give its "special name" than it's gonna kick a lot of them out.

If we're requiring people to get the name right, then you're looking at the General Lee, The A Team Van, and the Batmobile, possibly herbe (and maybe Kitt)

if people just need to recognize it, and know what it's from, then you start to get other cars added in, like the Ecto 1 (most folks would just call it the "Ghostbuster car"), the Delorian ("It's the time machine thing from back to the future!"), Kitt comes back into the running for sure ("I know that car! That car is "the night rider"! *fans cringe*), and the DB5 (most folks wouldn't get farther than "I think that's a james bond car").

Now if you're looking for regular makes and models that are known the world over, whether you're in a hellish desert, a sopping wet town on the edge of a rain forest, or the middle of L.A., then "Jeep" and "VW Bug" are traditionally the ones that top the list of most well known vehicles, because they're everywhere.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back