ORCA scratch build

A little swerve in topic. The shipwright that is building a full size replica is back and active again. He is an old world craftsman and is easy to watch. The channel is "Tips from a shipwright". I find it interesting to watch both builds side by side.

Here's a subject I never thought I would get in to, Toilets are a hole big thing apparently there are even Forums but I'm not that desperate to find the real one. I did find 1 or 2 handed versions but most used the left hand for the pump.
Boat toilet.jpg

Last edited:
You are so right Zee, Verna Fields had to have flipped the film in that shot.

Here is a conversation I had with Marty Milner who worked on and Transformed Warlock to Orca and built Orca 2. Sorry I had to cut and paste this, so it's not the original conversation format.
Filmzy, this response from Marty was to you and me as I showed him a picture of your OV1 (I think I showed you his response awhile back in a message? Not sure, but here it is again)

Marty Milner

Replied: 1 hour ago

Hey Guys,

Great to hear from you. I get this question occasionally. There are no pictures that I am aware of. My memory of it was that it was mainly unfinished with a "head" to the left and some storage forward of that. There may have been a full bunk to the left opposite the "head." When we got the boat it was gutted and refitted, inside and out. The front cabin, was never to be seen and had to be loaded with stabilizing ballast so the frame and ribs had to be accessible. Since it wasn't ever going to be used there was no reason to put any effort into it. The "rented lead" was installed at the lowest part of the hull in the forward cabin. That was all I remember. In ORCA II there was nothing in the forward cabin to speak of for the same reason.

I know you modelers want as much accuracy as possible but this description is the best I can remember. There may be others who have more specific information but this is my accurate reflection on what I remember.

Hope it helps. I think a head, storage and a full bunk makes seaworthy sense, so there you go.

-Marty

P.S. Zee, Go look at your messages. I sent you a pic of that corner brace.

Interestingly 90% of the vintage toilets I’ve found have the pump on the left hand side . So the film could have been flipped.
Was just about to say the same thing regarding the side of the pump. You would think that they would've put it on the right-hand side (majority of people) instead of at the left...that's why I couldn't wrap my head about the flipping:unsure:;)

Was just about to say the same thing regarding the side of the pump. You would think that they would've put it on the right-hand side (majority of people) instead of at the left...that's why I couldn't wrap my head about the flipping:unsure:;)
I don’t think if it was flipped that it was on purpose. There’s nothing in frame to show direction , a strip of open gate anamorphic film a foot long doesn’t have sound down one side . Usually just numbers and the curl of the film tell you the hero side. So it could have just been an accident that was never spotted. Negative cutters are like robots so I can’t imagine it happening then . I think jaws was temp cut on a movieola . So the rough print for cutting is hung in bins . Anyway who knows, I could be totally wrong and the lower deck is nothing like I have in my head.

Last edited:
Any chance you could coordinate with someone that has a Jaws product license, to make/sell some in-universe Orca blueprints? You know, style them to look like vintage build plans?
I am going to be selling plans this time as there where so many requests on the you tube videos. they might be pricey as I'm going to include some cast items like the barrels, shark jaw, dive bottles, tool box that sort of thing, some where in the £200 range.
all the money is for the 6th scale version project.
I'll also be doing the Molar radio phone and the harpoon gun and box as very limited runs.
I can't stop my heart from wanting it at 6th scale.
Then back to spinner kits if I'm not too old by then.

Last edited:
As the weather is getting better it was time to clean out my enormous workshop. I watched a tested video where Adam Savage talked about first order retravel as his system / work flow. I have a Kevin Bakon number of 2 but a first order retrieval number of 7. I have to move 7 things to get the thing I want. All my spray cans are magnetized to the roof, so if we have an earth quake I will be found dead under a pile of cans.
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG

I kept with tradition and when starting a new project put a new surface on the desk and also honored the gods with first blood
IMG_3441.JPG

I am going to be selling plans this time as there where so many requests on the you tube videos. they might be pricey as I'm going to include some cast items like the barrels, shark jaw, dive bottles, tool box that sort of thing, some where in the £200 range.
all the money is for the 6th scale version project.
I'll also be doing the Molar radio phone and the harpoon gun and box as very limited runs.
I can't stop my heart from wanting it at 6th scale.
Then back to spinner kits if I'm not too old by then.
I think it's a great idea; if those blueprints are accompanied by little repros of some of the most iconic details found on the boat:cool::cool:(y)(y):love::love:
Seeing your spray-cans on the side; never had problem with the paint/mixing while staying in that position for long?

As the weather is getting better it was time to clean out my enormous workshop. I watched a tested video where Adam Savage talked about first order retravel as his system / work flow. I have a Kevin Bakon number of 2 but a first order retrieval number of 7. I have to move 7 things to get the thing I want. All my spray cans are magnetized to the roof, so if we have an earth quake I will be found dead under a pile of cans. View attachment 1809198View attachment 1809199
I kept with tradition and when starting a new project put a new surface on the desk and also honored the gods with first bloodView attachment 1809200
We just had 2 Earthquakes. in New Jersey and New York 4.7 and 4.2. No less than 34 aftershocks. those we didn't feel.
Shop looks Great and Ready.
Blood tests are good, I agree with you Jo. Seems that every time I build something I bleed at one point or another. The way I figure it, If you don't bleed the jobs not done right, plus it's not bad to leave some DNA on a project.
I didn't know you had Scandinavian Genes Zee. Offerings to the Gods always helps, but that's my Swedish side talking.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back