Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Post-release)

What did you think of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?

• Total voters
I still have absolutely no interest in this. Sure, I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming just to see what the fuss is all about. But I'm sorry, Spider-man, to me, is not about fun.The first comic book ever read was "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" ASM #121-122 June/July '73. I was only 8 years old. I must've read that comic a thousand times. I still have that book, threadbare and as worn as it is. From there, I was obsessed with Spider-man. I made it my primary issue in life to get everything Spider-man done up until that point. The main reason I identified with Spider-man was the fact that he was not the average happy-go-lucky super hero. In universe, the public hated him. No one yelled "Go Spidey!" when he swung by. They screamed "There goes that murdering menace!" ...Nothing ever went right for Peter Parker, the guy couldn't catch a break if his life depended on it. That was why I could identify with him.

Even back before The Dark Night Returns comic, I knew that Spider-man should be the one super hero who had a gritty, hell-filled life. Because that was the way the comic book was back then. That, to me, was what made him real. Uncle Ben died because Peter failed to act. J.Jonah Jameson conducted a huge smear campaign against him which caused the public to absolutely hate him. Gwen blamed Spider-man for the death of her father, making Peter's dilemma even harder to deal with. Aunt May was scared to death of Spider-man and couldn't stand him. Then Gwen died, which was basically Peter's fault and he had that weight on his shoulders. The Green Goblin died in battle and he had to deal with the fact that his fight with Norman Osbourne had killed his best friend's father. Spider-man was blamed for Osbourne's death and was wanted for murder by the cops for years in the book. Meanwhile Harry is going through a terrible drug addiction. Then, when Harry found out the truth about the Goblin's death, Peter had to fight his best friend, who then became the Goblin through psychosis.

What I'm getting at, is if you read the early Spider-man comics, he was not just some high school kid who happened to be a super hero, he was the first one who had real day-to-day problems, hidden by this huge secret that he could never reveal to the world. Guilt ruled his life. This is what made Spider-man into the sensation he became. Because he had real honest to God problems. **** all that Saturday morning cartoon crap from the 90s! That is not Spider-man. He was, and always will be, to me, the quintesential anti-hero that made him great. He was the "every man" of super heroes. Not because he was so cool and everybody wanted to be him, but because he hated what he was and only wanted to have a normal life. It was only by his regret of inaction involving Uncle Ben's murder that he did what he did (by the way, Uncle Ben never said "With great power comes great responsibility")

By the time the late 80s rolled around, the book was garbage. I made it through the MacFarlane years, but honestly I've never bought a Spider-man comic since. Never cared to.

Okay, I am done with my rant. Is there anyone here who even remembers the way Spider-man was in the early days? Am I wrong? If I am, please let me know why.

John Romita Sr. and Jr RULES!!!!

While it may not be your old Spider-man, I think you may be pleasantly surprised. The reason I liked it so much - style aside - is it took the time to build the characters properly... even in all the chaos. And Peter B Parker definitely doesn't have anything going well for him in life... in a very relatable way (which is great, because as I've read, Spider-man was always supposed to be relatable)

I think I liked it so much cuz these characters and their losses felt real.

Spoiler for Super Hero moment

I was surprised they used one of my favorite scenes in the flick as promo... this is kinda the big deal scene... and it's just out there...

That said, as an editor, this makes me insanely happy and insanely sad.

Happy cuz I watch this over and over at work...

Sad cuz I close it and then open my "Addams Family" project and work on something that's nowhere near as fun to edit.

I WANT TO WORK ON A FLICK LIKE THIS!!!

Especially since I always get handed the music montages... although it's usually crap... like...

Sigh.

I saw it because I like Spider-man and figured why not. Never had a whole lot of interest in it but kept hearing it was good. My wife and I went. It's probably one of the best Spider-man films we've seen. I know it isn't really about Peter Parker as much as it is Miles, but Miles was great! I loved the story and I loved his journey. The dumbest thing about the entire film, the absolute worst of the worst of it, is the character design for Kingpin. What a steaming pile of garbage.

Its straight out of the comics and inspired from a classic design by Bill Sienkiewicz. Certainly would never call his work garbage, but hey, in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Its straight out of the comics and inspired from a classic design by Bill Sienkiewicz. Certainly would never call his work garbage, but hey, in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Yeah weird one for me cuz I didn't really collect a lot of marvel, but the couple I had (don't remember what they were) THAT is what Kingpin looked like...

So I always thought he looked weird just played by big guys... seeing Daredevil's version looked like Lou Ferigno Hulk... just a normal big dude.

So weird for me to hear how many people, including my Marvel nerd friend, complain about it.... But I get it.

latest?cb=20181229035349.jpg
Yeah weird one for me cuz I didn't really collect a lot of marvel, but the couple I had (don't remember what they were) THAT is what Kingpin looked like...

So I always thought he looked weird just played by big guys... seeing Daredevil's version looked like Lou Ferigno Hulk... just a normal big dude.

So weird for me to hear how many people, including my Marvel nerd friend, complain about it.... But I get it.

He's huge in the comics, I know, but he's not a walking wall with his head dropped down with where his chest should be. His shoulders were ridiculously high in this. He looks like Gargamel on steroids.

Oh I don't doubt it. But I'm in the minority of people who knew him from this...

I knew it was stylized, I only bought cuz I liked the look.

254bd49ea22d438b885ff4b722889ace.jpg

After looking at images on google, I'm gonna have to dig it up!

daredevil-love-and-war-page-03-detail.jpg

This too! heh. I remember the art being even weirder.

51bB4xtzOsL.jpg

That image above is from Bill Sienkiewicz's run on Daredevil. How he drew Kingpin there was almost exactly as he was depicted in SpiderVerse. They drew so much inspiration from the comics for this movie. Kingpin was no different.

I always get handed the music montages... although it's usually crap... like...
Sigh.
I thought you managed to move on to a job further away from those engines...
Anyways, I think it would be marvelous to work on a film as Spiderverse, I found it especially impressive how they keep the budget at 90 million and still deliver excellent animation.
Lastly, I’d like to give you a shoutout for the Kennedy/Ron Howard jokes you’ve posted recently, they’ve given quite a laugh each time I read them.

I thought you managed to move on to a job further away from those engines...
Anyways, I think it would be marvelous to work on a film as Spiderverse, I found it especially impressive how they keep the budget at 90 million and still deliver excellent animation.
Lastly, I’d like to give you a shoutout for the Kennedy/Ron Howard jokes you’ve posted recently, they’ve given quite a laugh each time I read them.

Haha thanks

Yeah Thomas was like 6(?) years ago. But one of the only terrible music montages I had to cut that was online as an example.

Though I did do the “meatloaf” one in sausage party! That’s online...

But while I did choose the song to cut to, using the actual singer “meatloaf” as food “meatloaf” was completely missed by me and was seth and evan’s idea.

So obvious I kick myself.

But again, that’s so boring next to a kid running on the outside of the building.

Last edited:
Quickie little story...

So yesterday our Storyboard supervisor messages me on our inter studio chat and starts asking my opinion on his best boards. I gave him a list and he came down to my office asking if I can help him get them exported for a reel...

"I just saw Spider-man into the Spider-verse... It's probably the best movie I've seen in years. There is no way I'm not working on the sequel"

He is a huge Spider-man nerd. Always has a Spider-man hoodie on...

"I knew they were making an animated one... but didn't care about Miles Morales so stopped paying attention. But that was so good... I loved EVERY Spider-person. I'm getting on that next flick"

This made me super happy. This guy is by FAR the best storyboarder I've worked with and this movie is WAY more up his alley style wise than anything we've done.

Anyway, just more hype/love for this flick.

The other day, I heard someone give credit to Stan Lee as the guy "who made us care about the secret identity"

And no where does that ring more true than in this flick

Laspector I see where you're coming from when you say his problems made him the real Spider-man,although nowadays I prefer a happy ending over misery.Even the '90s cartoons (sorry to say to you that this was and still is my favorite) he had girl- and money problems,and his identity was all but safe after Norman found out about his alter ego.
I followed and bought the comics up to Maximum Clonage.Even before this chapter,but especially from there it felt weird and almost desperate to me,so I quit collecting.To this day I still have and ocassionally read a few comics from back then.But I did lose my appetite for excess negativity,eventhough it is (part of) real life.

Capn_Jack_Savvy +1 on Peter Parker as Spider-man.Exactly the reason I don't want to see this movie.

Last edited:
Capn_Jack_Savvy +1 on Peter Parker as Spider-man.Exactly the reason I don't want to see this movie.

Peter Parker IS Spider-man in this movie.

In fact, Peter Parker is the best thing about this movie.

His "Reunion" moment with Aunt May... The way he's Spider-man even when his life is in total shambles - still doesn't miss a beat... His willing to die for everyone.

You're just straight up missing out.

*Side note... watched again (TIME 4)... the scene where Gwen offers to stay...

Knowing she couldn't save HER Peter, so she's going to save 616 Peter Parker was painfully sweet.

Last edited:
Peter Parker IS Spider-man in this movie.

In fact, Peter Parker is the best thing about this movie.

His "Reunion" moment with Aunt May... The way he's Spider-man even when his life is in total shambles - still doesn't miss a beat... His willing to die for everyone.

You're just straight up missing out.
It's interesting that a group of fans that suspend disbelief for so many of the things we're fans of can't get into a story revolving around parallel universes because they can't see past one character. Don't worry, the "REAL" Peter Parker is in this one, he's everything he should be, and nothing about Miles Morales changes that.

I saw it because I like Spider-man and figured why not. Never had a whole lot of interest in it but kept hearing it was good. My wife and I went. It's probably one of the best Spider-man films we've seen. I know it isn't really about Peter Parker as much as it is Miles, but Miles was great! I loved the story and I loved his journey. The dumbest thing about the entire film, the absolute worst of the worst of it, is the character design for Kingpin. What a steaming pile of garbage.
Dude, that was pretty much my only beef with it too, was the design for Kingpin. Everything else had a distinctive style, but man, Kingpin was atrocious. I wanted to punch whoever green lit that design. That, and the end fight was dumb, kinda hard to tell which way was up, and Kingpin doesnt have any powers so he shouldnt have lasted that long at all.

That image above is from Bill Sienkiewicz's run on Daredevil. How he drew Kingpin there was almost exactly as he was depicted in SpiderVerse. They drew so much inspiration from the comics for this movie. Kingpin was no different.
That doesnt mean its good though. That design stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, the japanese anime girl with the robot was kinda dumb. Reminded me too much of D.Va from Overwatch.

^ this! Stuck out like a sore thumb.

But over-all.. I really enjoyed the movie. More so than I thought I would.

The 'Prowler' portion was a bit cliche` as well.... (wondered why he was getting so much screen time!) LOL.. but over-all acceptable..

Still a good movie.

^ this! Stuck out like a sore thumb.

But over-all.. I really enjoyed the movie. More so than I thought I would.

The 'Prowler' portion was a bit cliche` as well.... (wondered why he was getting so much screen time!) LOL.. but over-all acceptable..

Still a good movie.

I'm assuming you mean the cool uncle/villain reveal?

I was iffy on the Prowler as well, but that the "spider-man origin" themes carry into the dimensions, I can accept it...

Like in this case, the loss was still the uncle, but this time the uncle was a villain involved in the company that made the biting spider.

I'll also accept it cuz damn it was DARK... he was straight up choking out a kid. Kingpin didn't even care it was obviously a kid, "Kill that guy".

When he lowered the mask on Miles as he chockingly begged "..uncle Aaron..."... thought it was so he didn't have to look at him as he killed him. It was just a tease but for a second all I could think was "darrrrrrrrk"

"I'm assuming you mean the cool uncle/villain reveal?" - yep, exactly.

Still a bit cliche` (and I get why)..... but over-all acceptable. (really that,... and the way KingPin was drawn are my only gripes.. and KP is much more annoying than the former)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back