The Rise of Skywalker: Episode IX Graflex

The final panel of the Saga Mural at Celebration shows Rey with the new lightsaber. Unfortunately, the image is too low a resolution to properly get a good look. I'll try for a better one myself on Monday...
bMv6aVQ.jpg

I see it's a different shade than the grips, but thought that may be due to material. Like it was 3D printed or something. The light is so yellow/brown in those shots it could be soaking it.

Happy tr be wrong, I'm just not sure of anything yet.

It occurs to me that this may NOT be the original Graflex, from an in-universe perspective

The Graflex was torn apart just above the clamp in TLJ, with the top part being particularly shredded. Simply giving the saber a new clamp would not seem to repair that damage. Otherwise, the hilt would be substantially “shorter” in length to compensate for the damaged parts that Rey would need to hack off to join the saber back together.

C9AA9B62-BEAF-4CCF-BE86-AD6BB3ADC1DB.jpeg

B616AA20-81E1-4972-B3FF-10D94B92DA85.jpeg

Perhaps we will see that she built a completely brand new hilt that was based upon the original Graflex with the Skywalker Kyber crystal installed inside it?

This would be similar to Luke’s V2 Saber being based upon a homage to Kenobi’s (from an in-universe perspective).

I still see 7 grip spacing on this version of the hilt, vs. 6 grip spacing. Unless that “clip grip” is extra-wide, as was pointed out earlier.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that this may NOT be the original Graflex, from an in-universe perspective

The Graflex was torn apart just above the clamp in TLJ, with the top part being particularly shredded. Simply giving the saber a new clamp would not seem to repair that damage. Otherwise, the hilt would be substantially “shorter” in length to compensate for the damaged parts that Rey would need to hack off to join the saber back together.

View attachment 1009666
View attachment 1009680

Perhaps we will see that she built a completely brand new hilt that was based upon the original Graflex with the Skywalker Kyber crystal installed inside it?

This would be similar to Luke’s V2 Saber being based upon a homage to Kenobi’s (from an in-universe perspective).

I still see 7 grip spacing on this version of the hilt, vs. 6 grip spacing. Unless that “clip grip” is extra-wise, as was pointed out earlier.

I was hoping to see the Anakins graflex still ripped apart

I wouldn’t mind her building a replica of anakins, I like that idea!

I’m having a hard time seeing 7 grips, I’m gonna look at it again

I don't know that they would ever slow down to explain that. It would make some clunky exposition to say why she has a lightsaber that looks just like the last one, except for new parts exactly where the old parts went kablooey.

The simplest explanation is the most likely. You have to attribute the inaccuracies to decisions made in production design for aesthetics more than literal representations. It's no different than Kylo's scar moving, the Stormtroopers getting a helmet make-over, or for that matter, the fact we have to accept that the Skinnyflex is technically the same lightsaber Luke has in ANH and ESB.

Okay-- I want to recap and pitch a few things...

First, I think there's two different sabers in the teaser, possibly 3.

Check this out:

compare1.png

A is the main one, obviously a belt hanger / hero.

We got:

- no d ring or kobold
- what looks to be a belt hanger built into one of the grips
- an all-new original clamp section with some sort of faux edge card and a black shell that is of a different material of the grips. Most people think it is tinted, I'm not sure that isn't just a softer material (like leather or plastic) picking up light reflections.
- a glass eye (an Inc style?) with the knurling intact; some people swear there is no eye at all, but you can see it pretty clearly I think.. .though I'm not fully sure there's a light bulb in there
- Some people see six grips, some seven (but I think there is a reason for that, see below)

A new feature I think we may have over-looked-- just above the clamp, but below in the image above since it's hanging, there is a brownish blob. I thought it was a reflection at first, but you can see it elsewhere (still trying to grab the right frame). I think this may be a scorch mark peeking up out of the clamp band-- remnants from when it exploded.

Okay NOW-- look at pic B

I could be wrong, and we may need Dan or Roy to do some modeling, but that clamp box seems like it's not the same shape as saber A.

It could be the angle of the image, but the grips look off. I think it's mostly the angle, but I DO think that the grip that functions as a belt-hanger may be wider. Whether it's that way on the A version or not id impossible to say. But if it is, that might explain as to why some people see the grip spacing lending itself to seven tracks.

It's possible that A and B are the same and it's all due to angles and lighting that they look different. BUT...

Saber C is definitely different. It's using the flatter profile grips we've seen on stunt sabers from TLJ. I feel like it's safe to assume that this one is a stunt.

Endcap looks pretty bare, but this is a moving shot and I zoomed in so there could be details that just aren't coming through.

I don't know that they would ever slow down to explain that. It would make some clunky exposition to say why she has a lightsaber that looks just like the last one, except for new parts exactly where the old parts went kablooey.

The simplest explanation is the most likely. You have to attribute the inaccuracies to decisions made in production design for aesthetics more than literal representations. It's no different than Kylo's scar moving, the Stormtroopers getting a helmet make-over, or for that matter, the fact we have to accept that the Skinnyflex is technically the same lightsaber Luke has in ANH and ESB.
In the same vein, that this is meant to be the same helmet when, during its destruction, it was bent up and dented. Now, not only is it unwarped, but the texture of the metal is altogether different...
starwars-lastjedi-movie-screencaps.com-2182.jpg

LddE2Le.jpg

IDK, maybe whatever process they did to unwarp the shards added an even pitted texture across the helmet?

Last edited:
In the same vein, that this is meant to be the same helmet when, during its destruction, it was bent up and dented. Now, not only is it unwarped, but the texture of the metal is altogether different...
View attachment 1009739
View attachment 1009740

IDK, maybe whatever process they did to unwarp the sharps added an even pitted texture across the helmet?

thanks for the second pic, i thought there was another helmet in the background! thank god its only the other piece of his!

I'd say that hilt B is just a resin belt hanger, and may have some slightly different details than the A hero version.

And I agree, C is just a stunt. Looks like it may still have the belt clip grip, but all the rest are low profile, maybe even one of those printed slip on covers.

Also agree that blob could be some damage from before.

I am kinda starting to like the clamp area, but I wanna see better shots!

Okay-- I want to recap and pitch a few things...

First, I think there's two different sabers in the teaser, possibly 3.

Check this out:

View attachment 1009729

A is the main one, obviously a belt hanger / hero.

We got:

- no d ring or kobold
- what looks to be a belt hanger built into one of the grips
- an all-new original clamp section with some sort of faux edge card and a black shell that is of a different material of the grips. Most people think it is tinted, I'm not sure that isn't just a softer material (like leather or plastic) picking up light reflections.
- a glass eye (an Inc style?) with the knurling intact; some people swear there is no eye at all, but you can see it pretty clearly I think.. .though I'm not fully sure there's a light bulb in there
- Some people see six grips, some seven (but I think there is a reason for that, see below)

A new feature I think we may have over-looked-- just above the clamp, but below in the image above since it's hanging, there is a brownish blob. I thought it was a reflection at first, but you can see it elsewhere (still trying to grab the right frame). I think this may be a scorch mark peeking up out of the clamp band-- remnants from when it exploded.

Okay NOW-- look at pic B

I could be wrong, and we may need Dan or Roy to do some modeling, but that clamp box seems like it's not the same shape as saber A.

It could be the angle of the image, but the grips look off. I think it's mostly the angle, but I DO think that the grip that functions as a belt-hanger may be wider. Whether it's that way on the A version or not id impossible to say. But if it is, that might explain as to why some people see the grip spacing lending itself to seven tracks.

It's possible that A and B are the same and it's all due to angles and lighting that they look different. BUT...

Saber C is definitely different. It's using the flatter profile grips we've seen on stunt sabers from TLJ. I feel like it's safe to assume that this one is a stunt.

Endcap looks pretty bare, but this is a moving shot and I zoomed in so there could be details that just aren't coming through.

Your really going to work
Me up this early... boy oh boy when is the Blu-ray release?! :p

I like that shot of the bottom, really curious what they did to cover up the stamping

To everyone trying to figure out a reasonable explanation for how the saber and Kylo's helmet could be repaired, I wouldn't bother trying. They changed Kylo Ren's scar because Rian Johnson didn't like the way it looked, with no explanation. And there's tons of examples of discontinuity in props and costumes, so I would say that it's most likely that the saber and the helmet are both supposed to be the same ones from the previous films. I would guess that J.J Abrams liked the idea of Rey keeping Luke's saber, rather than building her own - I mean, "The Rise of Skywalker," whatever it turns out to really mean, especially suggests to me that J.J. wants to keep the Skywalker connection to Rey. And Kylo repairing his helmet has nice parity with Rey repairing the saber. Both are trying to repair something that connects them to the past and with someone they revere - Rey to Luke and Kylo to Vader. You could also infer they are trying to fix a part of themselves that was lost in TLJ (from a more psychological point of view).

To everyone trying to figure out a reasonable explanation for how the saber and Kylo's helmet could be repaired, I wouldn't bother trying. They changed Kylo Ren's scar because Rian Johnson didn't like the way it looked, with no explanation. And there's tons of examples of discontinuity in props and costumes, so I would say that it's most likely that the saber and the helmet are both supposed to be the same ones from the previous films. I would guess that J.J Abrams liked the idea of Rey keeping Luke's saber, rather than building her own - I mean, "The Rise of Skywalker," whatever it turns out to really mean, especially suggests to me that J.J. wants to keep the Skywalker connection to Rey. And Kylo repairing his helmet has nice parity with Rey repairing the saber. Both are trying to repair something that connects them to the past and with someone they revere - Rey to Luke and Kylo to Vader. You could also infer they are trying to fix a part of themselves that was lost in TLJ (from a more psychological point of view).

TLJ “Let the past die...kill if you have to”

TRoS “no one is really gone”

Bring it all back baby!! Lucasfilm knows the wrongs, now they are gonna fix it

I’m really curious for photos of the prop. I’m wondering if the prop guys took a Graflex mid-band and cut the ‘control box’ part off and what we’re seeing is a slimmed down, rounded-edged rectangular control box more like what the EP8 stunt saber has.

I’m wondering if the prop is going to show the clamp with a control box but shorter, rounded, and with no sidebars and no lever.

I’m really curious for photos of the prop. I’m wondering if the prop guys took a Graflex mid-band and cut the ‘control box’ part off and what we’re seeing is a slimmed down, rounded-edged rectangular control box more like what the EP8 stunt saber has.

I’m wondering if the prop is going to show the clamp with a control box but shorter, rounded, and with no sidebars and no lever.

I hope it’s only a matter of time before it’s on display at the launch bay

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back