Interest DaveP's 40th Anniversary Luke Hero (Interest Thread)

Great news Dave! Thank you for all your hard work.
Question about the planned V2/V3 run: will that include the V2 motorised stunt again? And are you planning a V3 Obi stunt as well or is that too similar/lacking enough reference photos?

Great news Dave! Thank you for all your hard work.
Question about the planned V2/V3 run: will that include the V2 motorised stunt again? And are you planning a V3 Obi stunt as well or is that too similar/lacking enough reference photos?
Hi Mo! So this time around, the emitters will be machined separately. To allow for using the body as either V2 or V3 (The thumb screw hole will be added by myself). It just works out more cost effective that way and will hopefully help to keep the price down.

So for now, the motorised Obi stunt will be a little later. I hope that's ok. It will be returning eventually though. (y)

I was lucky enough with the weather being in the 70s today...
1000003891.jpg

1000003898.jpg

Pics soon ;)

Anddd the grand reveal....
1000003899.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the overall paint job. My first go around with the black I messed it up so I had to redo it. That meant stripping it with IPA and remasking which wasn't partially fun to do. Way more satisfied with the new black though. A piece of advice for people working on a kit- Mask off the silver rings!! I didn't because I thought sanding back the black that was sprayed over would be simple enough. It was very time consuming because I was using a very worn sanding sponge as to not sand away parts I did not want to. And it was also stressful because the bottom ring is so close to the full black section. Anyways this is my paintjob! Tell me what you think!

Sorry for the poor camera quality too lol. My phone is old.

Edit- Does the gold color seem too yellow? I'm stuck finding myself comparing it to references and it just seems too bright to me. I followed Halliwax's Ace Antique Gold tip. Is that the paint people are still using, at least in the US?

Last edited:
Very clean paint job!

Personally I use with the ace halliwax mentioned or VHT metallic Gold Flake, I think it’s caliper paint

The only two golds with the orange hue in the US I swear lol

Very clean paint job!

Personally I use with the ace halliwax mentioned or VHT metallic Gold Flake, I think it’s caliper paint

The only two golds with the orange hue in the US I swear lol
Yea, my gold could use a little bit more orange to it. Looking at other builds with the Ace spray they seem to be a warmer tone. Could be my lighting. Maybe I'll go over it one more time in the future but at the moment it came out pretty nice.

I like it too, especially that you re did the black I think you saved it. It’s as clean as the real deal on camera!

When you re do it, you’ll want to leave this silver

IMG_2340.jpeg

Only the resin post prod stunt floating around exhibits has this!

I like it too, especially that you re did the black I think you saved it. It’s as clean as the real deal on camera!

When you re do it, you’ll want to leave this silver

View attachment 1809549

Only the resin post prod stunt floating around exhibits has this!
OHH haha! I didn't even realize! That's an easy fix for me to do. Mannn I should have looked closer at my references! I knew that the gold was painted under the emmiter but I should have paid more attention. Thank you for pointing this out!

Anddd the grand reveal.... View attachment 1809444

I'm pretty happy with the overall paint job. My first go around with the black I messed it up so I had to redo it. That meant stripping it with IPA and remasking which wasn't partially fun to do. Way more satisfied with the new black though. A piece of advice for people working on a kit- Mask off the silver rings!! I didn't because I thought sanding back the black that was sprayed over would be simple enough. It was very time consuming because I was using a very worn sanding sponge as to not sand away parts I did not want to. And it was also stressful because the bottom ring is so close to the full black section. Anyways this is my paintjob! Tell me what you think!

Sorry for the poor camera quality too lol. My phone is old.

Edit- Does the gold color seem too yellow? I'm stuck finding myself comparing it to references and it just seems too bright to me. I followed Halliwax's Ace Antique Gold tip. Is that the paint people are still using, at least in the US?

Which paint did you use for the neck?

I would recommend the Ace Antique Gold if that's not what you used, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Also, one thing I've found with this paint is that it can sometimes look a bit too glossy. In order to fix this, what I recommend is to LIGHTLY go over the paint with 0000 steel wool after it's cured. It will then look a bit dull and pinkish, this is normal. After this, use a tiny piece of paper towel with an extremely small amount of rubbing alcohol and wipe the entire surface of the paint. It will magically bring the color back to normal, but will then be less glossy than before.

I know, seems weird, but it works. Just make sure you don't use too much rubbing alcohol, and don't rub it too much. Just like once or twice and it immediately brings the color back to normal. You may want to try this before you repaint it just so you can see how it works.

OHH haha! I didn't even realize! That's an easy fix for me to do. Mannn I should have looked closer at my references! I knew that the gold was painted under the rings but I should have paid more attention. Thank you for pointing this out!

Which paint did you use for the neck?

I would recommend the Ace Antique Gold if that's not what you used, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Also, one thing I've found with this paint is that it can sometimes look a bit too glossy. In order to fix this, what I recommend is to LIGHTLY go over the paint with 0000 steel wool after it's cured. It will then look a bit dull and pinkish, this is normal. After this, use a tiny piece of paper towel with an extremely small amount of rubbing alcohol and wipe the entire surface of the paint. It will magically bring the color back to normal, but will then be less glossy than before.

I know, seems weird, but it works. Just make sure you don't use too much rubbing alcohol, and don't rub it too much. Just like once or twice and it immediately brings the color back to normal. You may want to try this before you repaint it just so you can see how it works.
Yep I used the ace gold. I'll try that trick! I don't really think I'll repaint it unless it becomes damaged. I'll post a few more pics in better lighting when I get the chance to.

Yep I used the ace gold. I'll try that trick! I don't really think I'll repaint it unless it becomes damaged. I'll post a few more pics in better lighting when I get the chance to.

Here’s an example from mine. The pinkish color is after lightly going over with steel wool, and then the more orange/vibrant color is after the alcohol wipe.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back