Done / Completed Griff's Slamball bat from BTTF 2, a stunt rubber bat replica, low budget

Roland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'd like to ask if there's any interest in a replica of the stunt rubber version of Griff's bat from BTTF 2. I will try to replicate it as accurate as possible, but since it's a low budget replica, please don't expect 100 % prop accuracy. But you can be sure: I will do my best. ;)

The bat is in real size, of course. The core is a heavy fiberglass tube as used by the military, and is covered with self-adhesive EPDM rubber. Please note: the preview pictures below just show my prototype. It's my first attempt to see what works and what doesn't. It was fast cut and fast painted. And I used cheap foam, which has a rough surface. The EPDM rubber of the final bat will have a smooth surface and is a bit thicker (for more accuracy). I will replace the pics as soon as I have finished the first final bat.

Though EPDM is a high quality industrial rubber, which is very resistant to ageing and weathering - it's still rubber and it will age! So my advice for a long life of your bat is: store or display it in a cool, clean and dry place and avoid UV radiation (sunlight is poison for any rubber).

Price for one bat would be EUR 89 plus shipping. More than one bat in the same mail and you pay just once for shipping. Prices are in Euro to make it easier for me to calculate my material costs.

Shipping costs depend on where you live:
Germany: EUR 7
EU: EUR 15
Switzerland: EUR 28
Rest of Europe and Russia: EUR 30
USA, Canada: EUR 36
Rest of the world: EUR 43

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

List of interests:

OUTATIME1978
TomVDJ
MitasTouch
steveparkes
Davidsjferguson
Onkelpsycho
EmmaInCandyland
Pitbull
shoxxo
JKKS
razorsharp192
Greeky04

Preview pics of my prototype (not the final prop):

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• previewbat01.jpg
    previewbat01.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,081
  • previewbat02.jpg
    previewbat02.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • previewbat03.jpg
    previewbat03.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • previewbat04.jpg
    previewbat04.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • previewbat05.jpg
    previewbat05.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • previewbat06.jpg
    previewbat06.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • previewbat07.jpg
    previewbat07.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • previewbat08.jpg
    previewbat08.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Looks great as a prototype Roland :thumbsup, interested in seeing your final version!!

Thanks. :) It will not be much different. A smooth surface and a bit thicker all around where the rubber is (for example: diameter of the top part will be 6 mm larger). And the screws will be better placed in a straight line.

Very cool Roland. I just made my own costume foam bat.

Also, just for reference the color is a metallic dark red.

Very cool Roland. I just made my own costume foam bat.

Also, just for reference the color is a metallic dark red.

Thanks, Brad! Yes, I'm still testing different paints and the final bat will definitely be darker. I'm just not sure about the metallic. The screen used hero prop is metallic, but the original stunt prop doesn't look metallic on the photos I've seen.

I'll have to check my photos again but when I held it in my hands, it looked to almost the exact same color as my replica. It may have lost a lot of the shine over the years.

I have checked my photos. Based on those and what I recollect, I am 99% certain that the paint is metallic.

I have checked my photos. Based on those and what I recollect, I am 99% certain that the paint is metallic.

Thanks again. :) Alright, metallic paint is no problem. I can do that. Though I don't think there's much interest in this replica here. :eek

Now you start making this kind of things too? Man... you're going to cost me money if you step from paper props to this kind of things... The bat looks great! Might be interested in one, but not right now (very low on funds). Are there other prop's you're planning to do? Hoverboards or something like that? ;-)

Now you start making this kind of things too? Man... you're going to cost me money if you step from paper props to this kind of things... The bat looks great! Might be interested in one, but not right now (very low on funds). Are there other prop's you're planning to do? Hoverboards or something like that? ;-)

Thanks for your interest, Tom. :) Yes, I sold my big color printer and so the time of my paper prop sales is over (at the moment). My next props will be the 2015 Pepsi bottles (solid resin and non-functional) and maybe next year a (stunt) Hoverboard. I'm just not sure if people are actually interested in stuff like this. Selling paper props was much easier, because it's cheaper.

If Pepsi doesn't make their real bottles, then you should definitely make your own for sale. I would be in for that. I'm interested in the bat as well, but Im saving money right now.

I'd be interested in the bat and definately a Pepsi bottle Roland, thanks for all your work with BTTF, that whole thread is awesome

I'm interested in a bat, although funds are a little tight after secret cinema! :cry
Definitely interested in the Pepsi bottles when you get round to them!

I would prefer a pepsi bottle...

The bat looks nice, but the surface looks a little bit too much like rubber...

I believe he said this is just the test piece. The final would have the smoother material and of course the correct paint on top of that. I'm sure it will look less like foam when he is done.

. "Please note: the preview pictures below just show my prototype. It's my first attempt to see what works and what doesn't. It was fast cut and fast painted. And I used cheap foam, which has a rough surface. The EPDM rubber of the final bat will have a smooth surface and is a bit thicker (for more accuracy). I will replace the pics as soon as I have finished the first final bat."

I believe he said this is just the test piece. The final would have the smoother material and of course the correct paint on top of that. I'm sure it will look less like foam when he is done.

. "Please note: the preview pictures below just show my prototype. It's my first attempt to see what works and what doesn't. It was fast cut and fast painted. And I used cheap foam, which has a rough surface. The EPDM rubber of the final bat will have a smooth surface and is a bit thicker (for more accuracy). I will replace the pics as soon as I have finished the first final bat."

Just saying. Of course, I will wait for the final product... So maybe interested, but let's see how the final product will look like...

Seems to be more interested people than I thought. :)

... The final would have the smoother material and of course the correct paint on top of that. I'm sure it will look less like foam when he is done. ...

Definitely smoother! Not only smoother rubber: in addition, I will use a plastic primer for the paint, which makes the surface smoother, too (my test bat has no primer, it's just fast painted). As for the paint: I'll do my best to find a good one, though I can't guarantee that it will be 100 % correct. I've seen the real prop on photos only, and comparing colors on photos is always difficult and never 100 %. If there's someone who saw the real prop and can give me a correct color code (RAL, Pantone or whatever), I would really appreciate it.

Btw: for those who don't want to buy a bat and prefer to build their own piece, I'm planning to post a tutorial, but it will take some time. ;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back