Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I will occasionally get a toy, but not in the quantities I used to years ago. And I certainly don't play with them or ever take them out, so the 5 POA downgrade I could care less about.

There's a LOT more choices out there now with statues, replicas, costuming and autograph collecting and tend to gravitate toward that than toys. Although I do collect 80's vintage here and there.

I'll always pop down the toy aisles (habit), but I never see anything really interesting in the Star Wars section much anymore. And I REALLY am not nuts about their packaging choices. I will always favor the classic basic black with a photo on the front. Nothing beats that for me. TVC was awesome and they need to just make that the standard.

OG Star Wars super fan here. I saw every Star Wars in the theater when originally released.

I think Rey is a fantastic “new Luke” and I love her character and her portrayal. Are there directional flaws and time jumps in her skill development? Sure that could have been handled differently but for me she embodies the core message of Star Wars - Rising above to make a difference no matter what your station in life. That’s important to me and I feel it’s the definition of the American dream. I feel that through her character.

I will occasionally get a toy, but not in the quantities I used to years ago. And I certainly don't play with them or ever take them out, so the 5 POA downgrade I could care less about.

There's a LOT more choices out there now with statues, replicas, costuming and autograph collecting and tend to gravitate toward that than toys. Although I do collect 80's vintage here and there.

I'll always pop down the toy aisles (habit), but I never see anything really interesting in the Star Wars section much anymore. And I REALLY am not nuts about their packaging choices. I will always favor the classic basic black with a photo on the front. Nothing beats that for me. TVC was awesome and they need to just make that the standard.

Same here, I go down the Star Wars Hasbro toy isle. It is dismal but then I think, "What would I expect to find anyhow?" Even if they had a full stock of items, there has not been much released in the last couple years I really want. There have been some things like the BS helmets. God help me, I love Co-pilot Chewie (my best gift of my last Christmas) and really liked the 6" Dewback. Anything else I got was due to extremely low prices at 5 Below and Ross. I got the 3.57" scaled A-Wing with figure for $5. I got the Luke Hoth centerpiece and two 6" snow troopers to go with it at a total of $16... That would have cost close to $90 at full retail price. Piked up a lot of other 6" figures for $3 to $5 too.

Now Star Wars Legos is a different story. I got a lot of great sets. I have to fight the urges to buy all the ones I want and limit it to just those I really want. Those sets sell out but Lego does a great job restocking. Still hoping to pick up the UCS Falcon while still in production.

I was pretty much always a lightsaber and starfighter toy collector as a kid. Guess that continued into adulthood, too. But when the Hasbro sabers and starships went down the tubes, I stopped buying. I think the last SW toy I bought was the TLJ A-Wing.

But seriously, what happened to toy lightsabers? They were really doing so well for a while there. I dug out the last toy Vader saber I purchased and compared it to the Heiland I just bought and I did not expect Hasbro to get it that close.
ceIIhEO.jpg

But seriously, what happened to toy lightsabers?
View attachment 1011055

IMHO, it was the Blade Builder series that screwed up a lot of it. Those stupid open ended pommels. The good news is that they discontinued that series.

the good thing about them was that when the hilt were getting better in detail and scale, it was a good base for modifications for prop replica collectors on a budget. However with so many 3D print options in Etsy stores, collectors have other options.

IMHO, it was the Blade Builder series that screwed up a lot of it. Those stupid open ended pommels. The good news is that they discontinued that series.

the good thing about them was that when the hilt were getting better in detail and scale, it was a good base for modifications for prop replica collectors on a budget. However with so many 3D print options in Etsy stores, collectors have other options.
Definitely agree. Those ones before the Blade Builders were great to tinker with as a novice prop collector because they were cheap and if you screwed something up, you didn't just blow $200+ down the toilet.

You know, I don't know what's going on with me. I've watched the trailer a 100 times, I've watched reactions to the trailer..........all just to see if others were as giddy as me. I was done with SW after SOLO and TLJ, DONE I TELL YOU, but something inside me is alive (and it's not the 3 spicy steak tacos with habanero sauce I had for lunch).

I guess that’s the magic of SW, that kid inside me just won't give up.............

Last edited:

I stopped collecting action figures many years ago but I do get Funko Pops. That said, the only Star Wars Pops I buy are from the OT. I do not and will not ever buy one for a movie made after 1983.

I used to be the type to buy any and all types of toys. When I realized they mostly sat in boxes in my closet, I knew it was time to change. Sold the majority of them, kept only the characters I really love, and kept certain themes (droids, Imperials, bounty hunters, and a few aliens). The newest characters I have are K-2S0 and Sabine Wren. Most of my collection is Darth Vader, and that's the only character I actively seek out, new or old.

The new movies just don't do much for me, and neither did the prequels. Just an OT fan at my core, but I do enjoy some of the ancillary stuff like Clone Wars, Rogue One, and Rebels.

I'll see, and eventually buy, TROS just like I did with TLJ. But that's because I'm a completionist. I have the Droids/ Ewoks animated DVD as well as the Ewoks movies on DVD. Doesn't mean that I ever watch them. My TLJ Blueray is still unopened.

Part of me wants to be excited about IX, but a bigger part of me was so gutted by TLJ that I'm not letting down my guard or getting my hopes up.

And I still don't have any ST merch, aside from a couple shirts. I do want a VII Vader helmet, though.

Rewatching the trailer and seeing the Death Star II wreckage at the end I kind of wonder if they are all there to try and scavenge all the remaining Kyber crystals from the laser ?Its probably the easiest way to source them and make more new lightsabres quickly. Thats about the only strong reason I can think of for returning to it. And what is Rey carrying in her hand ? Shes already repaired her lightsabre ,you can see that on her belt. So whats with the purpose of the bag, if that's what its is she carrying?

If you compare Reys and the others outfits in the DSII shot they look pretty clean and in the desert shots from the first part of the trailer everybody's clothes look much dirtier and worn. So I am guessing what we are seeing with the DS happens earlier in the film before everybody gathers for the final battle(s).

Last edited:
Rewatching the trailer and seeing the Death Star II wreckage at the end I kind of wonder if they are all there to try and scavenge all the remaining Kyber crystals from the laser ?Its probably the easiest way to source them and make more new lightsabres quickly. Thats about the only strong r).
Based on the pre-production concept images from TFA, I think she's probably carrying some sort of breathing apparatus for diving.

Hey Gang! She might also be carrying rappelling gear. And the lightsaber might not have a crystal in it yet at that point in the movie. So it's possible they are there to collect a crystal for her to finish repairing it.

Hey, what if the resistance is planning to build their own Death Star to defeat the First Order?

There's always room in the galaxy for another planet-destroying, ultimate weapon.
Then it could be even bigger than Starkiller base, like Jupiter, the laser would come from Jupiter's orange spot (TM for HitB), and they could do a trench run with Star Destroyers an Mon Calamari cruisers. :lol::lol:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back